Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.
View Poll Results: Who are you tuned by and what was your experience?
AMS
6.47%
Buschur Racing
3.60%
CBRD
3.24%
DynoFlash
6.12%
Iveytune
8.81%
Jestr Tuning
8.99%
Lucas English
1.98%
Mellon Tuning
7.55%
Speed Element
1.62%
TTP-Engineering
15.65%
TurboTrix
2.34%
Vishnu
1.98%
WORKS
1.26%
Other
30.40%
Voters: 556. You may not vote on this poll

Who are you tuned by and what was your experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2008, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TTP = good tuner+ good mechanic.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

KevinD a few times. Every time i get a go fast mod he tunes me. 10/10.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Pure Tuning, Toledo, Oh, on a Mustang. Five stars for them.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 05:38 PM

Street Tuned Motorsports, in Rochester NY. Tuned on the streets and not on a dyno.

Emery is one of the most knowledgeable guys with the evo.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 05:47 PM
Account Disabled

Iveytune
Old Jan 26, 2008, 06:23 PM

Iveytune. Car made 639 hp and 577 Tq on c16 & 588hp with 541 tq on pump.
Sean is a great guy to deal with. And i will have him retune the car when the new turbo goes on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGmm-iroxVk
Old Jan 27, 2008, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CBRD twice, the best service I have ever seen. Chad takes the time to find out what you want and expect from your car. He will go over everything in a way that can be understood. Mark is a great tech and really knows what he is talking about and doesn’t mind when you are looking over his shoulder asking questions.

Great waiting room and show room, I was there for a few hours the first time because we were doing a few other things before the tune. I didn't mind the wait while I was playing video games and looking at the cars in the showroom and in the shop.

They have earned a customer for life with many plans for a lot more work in the near future.

Thanks again guys.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I voted for Sean Ivey.

1) My experience with him as a tuner ,is the best so far. /i got tuned before others/
2) i got tuned on stock ECU

Also the smoothest power line i got from him too. The car strong in any gear, pulls strong and linear. The guy is very friendly and reilable.

No credit taken from others.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Ivey is the man
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:32 PM

Scot Gray of RRE has tuned my car twice. Here's my experience:

Scot is highly regarded and recommended on SocalEvo and evoM so I thought I would give them a try. I e-mailed RRE and scheduled an appointment - I was told to come at 9PM on a specified tuesday. I arrived at my "appointed" time to find 4 other people there for a tune as well. Come to find out, the 9PM appointment is for numerous people, first come first served. I end up waiting until 11:30 before my car is tuned. I would've appreciated mention of this scheduling so I could've come prepared with some work to do while I waited. Well, I'm the noob but everyone else seems to know the routine.

Finally, Scot gets in, we head to a secluded street and do a couple of 3rd gear pulls. 15-20 minutes later and we're done. Seemed quick for a tune. Probably the quickest I had ever experienced. (Maybe due to my basic intake, exhaust, mbc, fp for mods on my IX.) Car felt good. Logs showed very little if any knock-counts, so I went happily on my way.

I went back for a retune a few months later, after I installed my cams. Familiar with the tune scheduling, I decided to beat the line and show a little earlier. Turns out it's first come first served unless Scot knows one of the customer's vehicles. I don't like their scheduling methods at this point. There's no sign-in sheet or any real organization. This may work for them, but doesn't work for me, as I have things to do and a schedule to keep.

Eventually, Scot gets in and it's another 15-20min session. Tune looks safe, feels good so I go on my way. I trust his experience and don't question the shortness of the tune.

However, I had my tuner buddies finally look at my map and do some logs. I hadn't really wanted them to touch my Evo as the majority of their experience is Subaru and Ford. We did a few long pulls (2k-7800) and everything looked good. Until they asked me to do a pull higher in the revs. (4.5k-7800) The log showed an immediate 21 counts of knock and the ECU trying to pull the timing. Well, Scot never tuned for that type of pull.

They decide to look deeper. Find that much of my midrange timing looks no different from stock. I can let that slide, maybe it was best for my car at the time of the tune. What bothers me is when they look at the low octane map and find it is set to run less fuel than the standard map. That's unacceptable.

So, this is my experience. I am sure there are many happy RRE/Scot Gray tunes. I, for one, am disappointed.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

scott from RRE tuned my car and it felt great, for the schedule you need patience, but in short terms he did a great job. better luck next time MINO
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

Mitch at vivid racing did my tune. Great deal and experience. Stage 1 w 315 hp and 280 tq.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by ciclops04
scott from RRE tuned my car and it felt great, for the schedule you need patience, but in short terms he did a great job. better luck next time MINO
I agree, their scheduling system just doesn't work for me. I don't have the time to wait around for a few hours. I want a set time, get in and get out.

Don't get me wrong, my tune feels great. But upon closer inspection a lot has been revealed when looking at the logs/maps: major knock events, a low octane map that actually runs leaner, and many areas that could've been improved.

In my previous street-tunes, we do more than a hard 1-2-3 pull and 3k-7800 3rd gear pull. We do daily driving situations: Drive around town, on ramp, part-throttle roll on, brake boost roll-ons, etc. If Scot offers this extra attention to the tune, it was not mentioned. I consider his pricing a great deal and would gladly pay extra for this added attention.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
voted other, 4 wheel slide, great tune, and great customer service.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:47 AM
drb
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
+1 for Mellon

I was a complete newbie to the EVO tuning process when I decided to add some mods & get a tune. I was concerned about getting involved with what appeared on the surface to be a time consuming process (my free time is very limited right now).

I'm in the process of getting my tune from Mellon. Mellon has been very responsive, he has answered all of my stupid questions, he has done a very good job of explaining the process, etc. Mellon, and the great information on his web site, have made the process very easy on my end.

In summary I'm not commenting on the tune (yet) because it isn't finished, and I'm not qualified. However, I am very qualified to comment on customer service, and Mellon is first class in that area.

Dan (drb)

Quick Reply: Who are you tuned by and what was your experience?