Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Tryant and Lancershop

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2008, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Tryant and Lancershop

The part I am reviewing is the Tyrant Carbon Fiber License Plate Panel.
Pictured from Lancershop.com:

I received it promptly and cleaned the area and went about installing it. There were three pieces of double sided tape, one going lengthwise along the bottom, and two along the sides. The rear of the plate is certainly unfinished the square holes, and round holes looks rather ugly. But this didn't concern me, because I knew it would be covered. So I test fitted it, and decided it poked out rather funny along the sides, it stuck pretty far out from the bumper. So I assumed it needed to be fastened in and the tape applied.

This is where it went horribly wrong. The square holes which are supposed to set into the ones in the bumper, wouldn't fit, and the square plastic fasteners wouldn't fit. They were too large and I would say misaligned. Not phased I figured that using the self tapping screws I would be able to snug it into the holes with some force. This proved impossible as I applied enough force to rock my car on its parking brake and I couldn't get the screw to even begin to thread. These round holes wouldn't align either.

The short version of the above, was the round holes for the screws, and the square holes, wouldn't accept my fasteners and simply would not lay into my bumper. It would require serious modification (IMHO). I'm not going to dremel a $100 panel that should fit right out of the box. I couldn't attach my plate because I couldn't mount the factory hardware!

Also the sides of the panel, stuck pretty far out, this was caused by a few factors the aforementioned. The second issue was they didn't align with the sides of the bumper and the double sided tape was not strong enough to bend the plate to the contours of the bumper.

So after all this, I deemed it a no go and went to call Lancershop. Well, this as many of you may know is not possible. The only means of contacting Lancershop is through their online support. I got a "technician" named Jessica. I informed her that I wanted to speak to someone on the phone about a return. That request was ignored. And she asked for my information to execute a return. I gave her the information and went to bother Tyrant in the meantime. I went to Tyrant's website and found it was suspiciously similar to Lancershop's. I couldn't get a phone number, so I used a online help button. Which was obviously powered by the same web software. I thought this was funny, but thought little of it.

This is where something surprising happened: a technician name "Jessica" again greeted me. After I asked again to speak to someone on the phone about the fitments of their panel, I got no response for a significant amount of time. The simultaneous conversation I was having at Lancershop was inactive as well.... Jessica asked in the Tyrant window if my name was David. I answered yes. Note that I had not given Tyrant any information at this time. She replied in the Lancershop window as well, and I asked if Tyrant and Lancershop had the same customer service representatives, and she replied yes. I didn't press, so I negotiated a return, and I was given a refund with no restocking fee. According to her, it was authorized by her manager.

So, I believe that Tyrant is the house brand of Lancershop. But in reality it is the house brand of Mastaminds inc. Which is the true owner and distributer of Lancershop. http://www.mastaminds.com.

So long story short:
Tyrant CF License Panel =
Lancershop = Not who you might think they are. But quick and accommodating. So be informed with who you are dealing with and you'll be good! :thumbup

Attached are camera phone pictures. To shop that I actually got this thing. Although quite honestly not good evidence of the reported above.
Attached Thumbnails Tryant and Lancershop-tryant_1.jpg   Tryant and Lancershop-tryant_2.jpg  
Old Feb 10, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the review..

Fitment doesn't look that great..!!
Old Feb 10, 2008, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

You will be waiting a long time for your refund. I also had to get a refund from them when they shipped me a broken piece of equipment. I got in contact with them many times via e-mail and their stupid online support and it was always the same answer. I would suggest whenever you talk with them on their online support that you copy and paste your interactions for records. Once you get tired of waiting for your refund you can get in contact with CharlesJ on this website and see if he can assist you. Good luck.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My package hasn't even arrived at Mastaminds yet. So I'm not going to pass judgment on that one yet. So far they seem quite reasonable. I was mostly just surprised that Tyrant and Lancershop were connected. And obviously that the Tyrant plate fits pretty terribly.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:49 AM
Account Disabled

A friend of mine has one and it sticks out too but somehow it fits in there.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Tyrant is a Mastaminds brand. Mastaminds sells under a lot of different sites for different things (not just car stuff). Lancershop should accept the return, but you will have to fight to avoid the 25% restock fee. I had this problem recently. I told them they would lose a repeat customer if they didn't waive the restock fee. They waived it. I was credited my refund very promptly after I returned the item that I was dissatisfied with (it was an A pillar gauge pod overlay that they advertised as an actual A pillar replacement - I should have known better).
Old Apr 25, 2008, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

wow, the alignment from the pic was way off. omg that's not lancershop's fault, it's the tyrant company itself. but i've had no problems w/ lancershop. i would've asked for a replacement or full refund. at least u make it fit nicely.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Im still waiting on my Walbro install kit and $16.75 in shipping charges for parts I never recieved. Good luck on your return. (by the way, I have been waiting for mine for right at a year now.)

Lancershop customer support = monkey poo