Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

My Peakboost Experience

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2008, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Peakboost Experience

I want to start with a brief summary of my opinion of the products & service:

Manifold- Very high quality, beautiful welds and fits great!

Upper portion of the downpipe- Again, nice welds, fitment is tight but there just isn't any way to make that much better.

Downpipe- This is my first problem with the kit, it looks like it was designed to work with a non-acd car. I did tell them I had an 05 and Ken told me that it will fit great but it doesn't. Even clocked as far to the oil pan as I can go, it is rubbing on the transfer case, so I am going to have to modify the downpipe to fit. This is an annoyance for me but for someone with no way to fabricate something and looking for a bolt in well designed kit this would pose a serious problem.

Intercooler piping- This is another part where I am not that impressed. The material seems to be as thin as a coke can (likely ebay material) and it is just hard to weld that stuff. The welds are just plain gross! But they are functional. I had asked them to send out a new set and they finally agreed after I sent pictures, but I have yet to receive a new set of pipes. **I posted a picture of the inside of the pipe which is what I am more concerned about but trust me the exterior of the weld looks just as nice

Customer service- Not the worst I have delt with but not the best. They take forever to respond to email (if at all) so it is best to call and wait on hold for 10-15 minutes. They didn't seem to want to resolve the few issues with the kit, so I am going to fix the issues myself. Re-fab the downpipe and new intercooler pipes.

Delivery- They may quote you 1-2 weeks but be prepared to wait a month, they missed 3 delivery dates, one of which they promised it would go out by and didn't. So they have a different dictionary with definitions for the words "promise" and "guarantee" then I do.

side note: Honestly I love the look of the top mount turbo kit but a much less complicated easier fit bottom mount kit is probably the way to go. There just isn't enough room in the Evo's engine compartment to package this set up well. It fits but it is just super tight and maintenance is going to be a pain. Installation is very critical to the success of the install, most parts must be put in place and loosely assembled then systematically tighten everything.

Also unfortunately this manifold will not accomodate any compressor cover larger than an S cover, anything larger will hit the cylinder head. I had hoped that an H cover would fit but that is a no go.

I will be testing this kit with a Borg Warner S366 but currently it won't fit on the manifold, and I don't think there is enough material to grind on the cover to get it to fit, so I hope that Bullseye power soon releases a smaller diameter cover (about the size of the Garrett S cover). The standard S366 cover is about 1 full inch bigger than the S, so it is about the same size as the H cover.

P.S. I will probably add to this thread and update but I wanted to get this up for people to check out the kit and it's quirks.
Attached Thumbnails My Peakboost Experience-turbokit.jpg   My Peakboost Experience-weld-defect.jpg  
Old Feb 17, 2008, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Well at least it looked good from the outside!
Old Feb 17, 2008, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

I would be a little upset if I were you! To spend that type of money on a kit, and have that many problems with fitment and welds is just plain rediculous.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 08:40 PM
Account Disabled

Hey Josh,
The email we sent to you on Feb 6th explained that we sincerly apologize for this issue in the charge piping and had no problem in exchanging it. We have never heard back, nor received the defective pipe to replace... Just to clarify, we have no problems in replacing the "defective" pipe. In fact, we will have our new polished mandrel bent peices(zero welds) in stock in 4 weeks if you would like one of those

As for the lower dp, we were never notified of any issues. This unit is designed to work with clearance for the larger ACD transfer case.

While we are very confident in the fitment of our HVS topmount kits, with over 50 on the market today including Skunk2's new time attack IX that we bolted this kit on for Speed TV, and numerous 600+awhp street cars. This is the first ACD issue we have heard about... We love to know if our parts don't fit, they are supposed to be bolt on! Call me at the shop on monday Josh and please email us pictures of the lower dp issue.

this kit is not for the faint of heart and carries very close tolerances, that are held tight in our over built fixtures. the manifold itself utilizes 4 seperate fixtures to insure fitment...

Originally Posted by joeracer321
I want to start with a brief summary of my opinion of the products & service:

Manifold- Very high quality, beautiful welds and fits great!

Upper portion of the downpipe- Again, nice welds, fitment is tight but there just isn't any way to make that much better.

- I would imagine you are speaking of the clearance of the wastegate diaphram housing to upper dp. this should have appx 1/8" clearance as the vband upper is tightened.

Delivery- They may quote you 1-2 weeks but be prepared to wait a month, they missed 3 delivery dates, one of which they promised it would go out by and didn't. So they have a different dictionary with definitions for the words "promise" and "guarantee" then I do.

you were quoted a 4 week lead time. although you wanted it shipped in 1-2 weeks. this kit is currently a 6 week lead time, we just can hand craft these fast enough while still adhering to our strict manufacturing standards that allow us to back a Lifetime Warranty.

side note: Honestly I love the look of the top mount turbo kit but a much less complicated easier fit bottom mount kit is probably the way to go. There just isn't enough room in the Evo's engine compartment to package this set up well. It fits but it is just super tight and maintenance is going to be a pain. Installation is very critical to the success of the install, most parts must be put in place and loosely assembled then systematically tighten everything.

We offer both for this reason. Our FTW bottom mount kit is a much easier install of course. However, if this kit is purchased as a complete system it's really not overly tight in the engine bay, just requires a loose fit of every peice before tightening.

Also unfortunately this manifold will not accomodate any compressor cover larger than an S cover, anything larger will hit the cylinder head. I had hoped that an H cover would fit but that is a no go.

I see this as a non-issue as we have never advertised nor spoke of using any turbochargers other than Garrett. With the S-cover being the largest.

P.S. I will probably add to this thread and update but I wanted to get this up for people to check out the kit and it's quirks.

Also, make sure to watch us bolt this kit on this season's Street Tuner Challenge on Speed TV

Talk to you tomorrow to get everything working to solve these issues, and again our sincere apologies as this is not a common occurance with our company as I'm sure you know.

also, for anyone with any issues with our products, do not hesitate to contact us toll free 877-23-TURBO

thank you

Ken Peak
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Ken,
My understanding was that you were going to go ahead and ship the new pipes and I was going to ship the old ones back, but I will wait for the new piping. I will take a few pictures of the clearance issue of the downpipe tomorrow.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
all the mods must be sleeping

posting something like this without contacting charles ????? im surprised his bat signal didnt go off and this thread closed in seconds
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with the thread. I posted a review of a peakboost kit.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Your review contained your complaints about the kit, which could have been resolved by contact with the vendor. The point is simply that issues with vendors like this should be posted only if and after if a vendor has not made satisfactory efforts to resolve an issue.

Obviously, Peak Boost is standing behind their products, as noted. If you'd waited and gotten their response before posting, your concerns would probably have been resolved already...
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Your review contained your complaints about the kit, which could have been resolved by contact with the vendor. The point is simply that issues with vendors like this should be posted only if and after if a vendor has not made satisfactory efforts to resolve an issue.

Obviously, Peak Boost is standing behind their products, as noted. If you'd waited and gotten their response before posting, your concerns would probably have been resolved already...
+1 I definitely agree here.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:36 PM

Ken at Peak Boost is a great guy and stands behind his work and his customers. You made a thread complaining about his products for some odd reason, why didn't you contact him via email or phone?

I dont see the big deal at all, Ken even posted in YOUR thread that he is willing to resolve the issue in anyway he can, he offered to send you polished mandrel bent piping for free!!

if thats not customer service then I dont know what is
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Don't you think service changes a bit when a complaint gets out? Anyhow the point was not to bash peakboost it was to share my install experience.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

CO_VR4, Boosted... and CTEVO... you must have missed about 80% of the thread where I said good things about the kit. You guys are just like the news only pointing out the NEGATIVES!
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CTEVOAWD
Ken at Peak Boost is a great guy and stands behind his work and his customers. You made a thread complaining about his products for some odd reason, why didn't you contact him via email or phone?

I dont see the big deal at all, Ken even posted in YOUR thread that he is willing to resolve the issue in anyway he can, he offered to send you polished mandrel bent piping for free!!

if thats not customer service then I dont know what is
+1 kazillion!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ken @Peakboost is a great guy and customer service is great...I'm pretty sure he is a very busy guy and also has a life too.....should of waited instead of posting the problem right away...Ken ftmfw

Oh yeah, Btw....Ken can you quote me a price for the FTW manifold and the o2 housing...Theres another guy around here that is interested in going with this setup....Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2008, 01:25 AM

This is simply a review. By your reasoning no reviews should be allowed that arent 100% positive? A review is supposed to be a CRITICAL article. I know you guys all love the "OMG I just got XX part and it is so hella good!" but people need to hear the other sides too. I would rather know how the kit arrived the first time, not how it ended up after sending things back and getting them replaced. Dont get mad because somebody posted an actual review of an item, thats the whole point of a review.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Dos, thanks for the support; all of these guys are quick to jump on the bandwagon and make a negative comment. I bet they didn't even read the whole thread they just ganged up with their local internet hero making a non value added comment. Thanks EvoM!