Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Buschur Racing Evolution X Front Mount Intercooler Upgrade Review (1)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2008, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buschur Racing Evolution X Front Mount Intercooler Upgrade Review (1)

Buschur Racing Evolution X Front Mount Intercooler Upgrade Review

After purchasing my Evo X in California and driving it across the country to Florida, during the drive home I knew that the car was not going to be stock for long. So the process of researching what performance parts would be best began. I knew that an upgraded front mount intercooler was going to be part of the performance upgrades I was looking for.

I had a few different options and after researching the Evo X intercoolers on the market, my decision was based on the very large intercooler core from Buschur Racing. Some of you may think that this is overkill for a stock Evo X, and you are right. For a stock Evo X, it is pointless, however once performance parts are added to your Evo X, this Intercooler is a MUST.

It is a direct replacement from stock; however it is almost double the size and still fits like a glove. There is one simple modification to a bracket that will allow the intercooler to bolt in place. This was done in just a few minutes with my dremel tool. My biggest fear was with removing the front bumper, but with the help of a friend this was a breeze. The only other concern I had was the additional weight of this larger intercooler, but it wasn’t as heavy as I anticipated.

The Buschur forums did a nice job illustrating everything needed during the install, and we were able to complete it in less than an hour and a half. Everything needed for the install was provided; couplings, clamps, and hardware. The hardest part is keeping track of all the factory plastic clips when removing your bumper.

The performance gains are definitely noticeable immediately after the installation; I personally felt the difference in second gear through fifth. The highway responsiveness is improved, and overtaking is much better with the intercooler and piping. I chose polished upper pipes and brushed lower pipes, as they are not very easily seen.

Advantages
Largest Core in its class for Evo X
Keeps Intake temps down
Direct replacement to Stock
More Exposed intercooler surface
Works well with supporting performance mods
Disadvantages
Front Mount vulnerable to debris (same as stock)
Fuel mileage effect (only because you want to step on it more )

Link & Price:
https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...09d4d3e7b810e8
$759

I would recommend this Front Mount Intercooler Upgrade from Buschur Racing to any Evo X owner with performance modifications because of its A+ build, the performance gain combined with your existing mods, and its large size still fitting perfectly as a replacement from your stock unit.

You will be impressed.

for more install pics go to www.acewolf.com/intercooler/
Old May 2, 2008, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Now I want one! thanks for the detailed review. Always great to read other people's experience like this.

Originally Posted by Acewolf
There is one simple modification to a bracket that will allow the intercooler to bolt in place. This was done in just a few minutes with my dremel tool.
Is that tough? What is this modification like? I guess I will research on the BR forums...I signed up there recently. How was putting the bumper back on like? tough? easy fit? I am worried about the bumper removal as well. I am going with this intercooler+lower IC pipe in the future when funds get better. Right now just have to deal with the upper IC pipe. BR FTW, I really am loving their parts. The look and gains.

PS: GG is hot lol.

Last edited by love9sick; May 2, 2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old May 2, 2008, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by love9sick
Now I want one! thanks for the detailed review. Always great to read other people's experience like this.

Is that tough? What is this modification like? I guess I will research on the BR forums...I signed up there recently. How was putting the bumper back on like? tough? easy fit? I am worried about the bumper removal as well. I am going with this intercooler+lower IC pipe in the future when funds get better. Right now just have to deal with the upper IC pipe. BR FTW, I really am loving their parts. The look and gains.

PS: GG is hot lol.
well thats cool I got a badass dremel too so no worries Love9sick.
Old May 3, 2008, 03:53 PM

Why is there a gap on the inlet and outlet pipes on the intercooler? Nevermind, I saw that they are there for shipping purposes.

Last edited by Xcited; May 3, 2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old May 3, 2008, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Great review, Buschur makes some great stuff.
Old May 3, 2008, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
nice install...sweet product
Old May 3, 2008, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Why did you go all the way to Cali, I got mine at Leighman Mitsu on US1 for msrp???
Old May 3, 2008, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

looks good.
by the way, how hard was it to remove the bumper?
Thanks.
Old May 4, 2008, 10:19 AM
Account Disabled

iam glad you posted a comparison photo, non of the intercooler manufactures posted a picture of a stock intercooler and their own aftermarket intercooler side by side....
Old May 4, 2008, 10:24 AM
Account Disabled

nice review, that thing is massive compared to the stocker...
Old May 5, 2008, 06:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW! Thank you for the great write up! Nice pics also by the way.

Glad you're happy with your purchase. Please let us know if there is anything we can help with.

Old May 6, 2008, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

this is looking great
Old May 6, 2008, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I didn't realize the stock X IC is so small.. hmm.
Old May 6, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Intercooler Size?

On the Buschur website, the core size is 12 x 4.5 x 18. Can you verify that it's 4.5 inch thick? Because I recently installed ETS FMIC, which is 12 x 4 x 20, and I can't imagine fitting the core any ticker than 4 inch. See Pic below.

See how tight the fit is with 4 inch core?
Old May 6, 2008, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

The Buscher has spacers included to make the extra size fit.

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing Evolution X Front Mount Intercooler Upgrade Review (1)