Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Got my DTM custom RR roll bar! (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2008, 06:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Got my DTM custom RR roll bar! (lots of pics)

Last year, DTMotorsports helped me get off on the right foot tracking my Evo. I had tracked another car before, but I was green when it came to the Evo. They flashed my car on the dyno and also helped me with some basic suspension set-up parameters. Then I hit the track for about a dozen track days in September and October last year, culminating in a runner-up finish in Modified class at the VIR/GT Live Redline Time Attack (on street tires).

In the past, I've tracked only a car with race seats, harnesses, and a custom roll bar installed by one of the premier roll cage/race car fabricators in the DC area. So, when I was flying around VIR hitting speeds in excess of 140 mph, I was feeling a little nervous with my CG Lock, stock seats, and conspicuous lack of roll bar, especially compared to the 1st and 3rd place Evos in Modified class at VIR that had extensive roll cages including a full halo, door bars, etc.

So, this winter I purchased a used Autopower bolt-in roll bar off of this site from a fellow autocrosser. Little did I know that DTM's abilities went beyond engine, suspension, and tuning and also included roll bar/cage fabrication. Over the winter they had moved to a new location and in the process acquired a trick mandrel bender as well a stock of 1.75x.120 DOM roll bar tubing!

Needless to say, I put that Autopower bar up for sale and made arrangements with Nick to do a custom bar in my car. We talked in great detail about the design and Nick was great about the whole project. He let me know his preferences and philosophies and I also gave him some input that I had, and together we came up with a plan about exactly where to mount the hoop, how to do the back braces, how everything would be attached, etc. We also talked about NASA and SCCA rules and my concern with having a design that would lend itself to expansion later. Nick was very flexible about the whole process and inspired confidence that I would be happy with the end result.

The whole thing came out fantastic. To say that I'm pleased is an understatement. The pictures speak for themselves. Just look at the fitment, how it follows the B pillars, how snug it is to the roof (I asked him to remove the headliner and put the main hoop as high as possible), how clean the welds are, hold strong the attachment points are at all four points, etc.

Without further ado, here are the pictures!

Thank you DTM!
Old May 12, 2008, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F**king beautiful!!! very nice inspires me!!
Old May 12, 2008, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

What did it run you, if I may ask?
Old May 12, 2008, 06:50 PM
Account Disabled

Just sexy!!!

Nice job Nick!!!!!!!

Dtm "very nice i like"
Old May 12, 2008, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

simply amazing, but I would have tried to keep the stock interior look, but thats just me

I also race my car in nasa and anything TT and I kept the stock looking interior. it doesnt weigh that much
Old May 12, 2008, 09:05 PM
Account Disabled

man that came out great...
Old May 12, 2008, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That came out great
Old May 12, 2008, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

that looks awesome
Old May 13, 2008, 03:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by evo_8_u
simply amazing, but I would have tried to keep the stock interior look, but thats just me

I also race my car in nasa and anything TT and I kept the stock looking interior. it doesnt weigh that much
Thanks, everyone.

As far as the interior, the car isn't done. I took these pictures before reinstalling the interior so that you could see the roll bar well. While I obviously am not going to install the back seat, I will reinstalling most of the rest of the interior because it does clean up the look and, you're right, it doesn't weigh much. This is still very much a street car in the off-season with A/C, stereo, etc. The reason that I skipped the front portion of the cage was to keep the car streetable.

As far as pricing, you should give DTM a call directly. They offer a number of styles and options and the price is going to depend on what you want and your application. For example, if you are a drag racer only then they can build you a bar that lets you keep the back seat and complies with NHRA requirements. If you want a bolt-in rather than weld-in, then they can do that. If you want a bananas full cage, they can do that. I believe that they may also be able to ship a you-weld sort of package. So, in short, if you are interested, give them a call with your needs and see what they say.
Old May 13, 2008, 04:22 AM

Im glad you like it Rich!!!!!
Old May 13, 2008, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

nice cage. looks awesome
Old May 13, 2008, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Nick, your skills never cease to impress me. Congrats Rich, the cage looks awesome!
Old May 13, 2008, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice-Looks good.
Old May 13, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

looks great!
Old May 13, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

I was there when they were welding this.

Can't see the picture at work , but I know how it looks hehe

Quick Reply: Got my DTM custom RR roll bar! (lots of pics)