Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

turbonetics gtk550 turbo review

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2008, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jesse@afiturbo.com
What has your experience been with them?

seems the only "pro" is the 1 year warranty in our experience. I have a friend that had a gtk850 on his car, the car is only driven at the track, turbo was sent back 4-5 times...yea they fix or replace it but that gets old.

hopefully your friend was just having some really bad luck and that his case isnt a trend for these turbos. maybe he just got the "first run" of turbos and they fixed the problems with them. anyone else have first hand experience with any of the gtk line of turbos? they seem to be doing very well with the srt4 crowd (hp and reliability) so hopefully all is well...
Old Sep 11, 2008, 02:02 PM

looks good man. keep us posted on some dyno numbers etc etc.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

ok meth guys give me your suggestions. right now i have a m10 jet on my smc meth kit. i have a m15 jet sitting here, now before i get too far on the tunning should i take the m10 out and put the m15 in to get a little more meth or will the m10 be enough?
Old Sep 12, 2008, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

^^^anyone??
Old Sep 22, 2008, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

New Stuff!!

well i havent been able to do any tuning as i have been working outta town and just walked in the door. hopefully get a lot done this week before i have to go back out. im getting some popping and spuddering at high rpm in 4th. 1-3rd are fine but 4th is giving me some problems. im guessing spark blowout/misfire. i have been running the br7es plugs but tomorrow i will be getting some bpr8es and gap them to around .022 and hopefully that will clear everything up untill i can save up for my cop.

but i wanted to show you guys what was waiting for me when i came home.

Apexi N1 EXV and the full line of amsoil

i just want to say thanks to Evan and Vivid Racing for the N1's! the ship time was outstanding. i didnt expect them here till the middle of the week.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostGotMeLaid
Old Sep 23, 2008, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey man, Awesome build. do you have any links to where you picked up that manifold?
Old Sep 24, 2008, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

here is where i got it from. if you call them and tell them mike with the silver evo sent you then they might give you a better price. heres the link.

http://www.turbochargers.com/store/p...oducts_id/1174

i got the c/o installed yesterday and all the fluids changed. but i had to order the bpr8es, no one had them. i still have to finish getting the car to the height i want it to be but right now they drive great! its not a harsh ride and seems like its a little smother at times then my tein s techs.

im going to try to toon a good bit today and depending on how far i get i might see if the dyno is going to be free anytime in the next few days. i just hope i can get this blowout/misfire stuff under control or i will have to lower my boost to around 28psi...

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD ALIGNMENT PLACE AROUND HOUSTON??
Old Sep 24, 2008, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2008, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

dude, those arent tires on the back of that SS, those are frigging BARRELS!
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jesse@afiturbo.com
What has your experience been with them?

seems the only "pro" is the 1 year warranty in our experience. I have a friend that had a gtk850 on his car, the car is only driven at the track, turbo was sent back 4-5 times...yea they fix or replace it but that gets old.
Same thing happened to my buddies swfd honda making 650hp. Went thru 3 of them only at 27 - 29psi. Car was never driven on the street turbo only had dyno miles on it. Then we finally found out that the reason they were failing is because turbonetics was not testing them at a high enough rpm that the car was working the turbo to. So we had the last one they sent us rebalanced again after getting it from them and it has not failed yet, go figure!!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mchuang
Same thing happened to my buddies swfd honda making 650hp. Went thru 3 of them only at 27 - 29psi. Car was never driven on the street turbo only had dyno miles on it. Then we finally found out that the reason they were failing is because turbonetics was not testing them at a high enough rpm that the car was working the turbo to. So we had the last one they sent us rebalanced again after getting it from them and it has not failed yet, go figure!!
crazy. well i know now if this one goes and i get another ill get it rebalanced by someone else. thanks for the heads up...but so far ive but about 1200-1500 miles on this turbo and im at 32psi, now i havent been pushing it hard since im not done with the tune, so who knows whats gonna happen...from all these stories im thinking about just trying to get my money back for it and ordering a hta...damn and i was hoping this turbo would perform so i didnt look like a tool for not getting the hta in the first place....
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clutchdc5
dude, those arent tires on the back of that SS, those are frigging BARRELS!
lol there m/t et streets 33X18.5X15
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
thats cool, i was wondering how theyd do..

we stopped using turbonetics at all, because the failure rate is through the roof, which is generally why they have such a strong warranty... (in my opinion of course)...

hopefully these perform better.

let us know how it goes.

cb

I agree....be glad you got that sweet warranty because your gonna need it. A guy that has a shop and tunes mostly hondas locally has had 4 fail on his personal crx, they sent him his money back after that and he bought something borg warner not sure wich tho. if you really want an alternative to the 35r look into precision.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 20gmr
I agree....be glad you got that sweet warranty because your gonna need it. A guy that has a shop and tunes mostly hondas locally has had 4 fail on his personal crx, they sent him his money back after that and he bought something borg warner not sure wich tho. if you really want an alternative to the 35r look into precision.

yea i might have screwed up in getting this turbo, o well ill rock it till it breaks then get my money back and order an hta35r.....live and learn...

Quick Reply: turbonetics gtk550 turbo review