Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

turbonetics gtk550 turbo review

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2008, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbonetics gtk550 turbo review

hey guys i wanted to share my review of the turbonetics gtk550 turbo with everyone. i wanted to get the hta35r turbo but it was hit and miss with these turbos being instock. i chose the gtk550 since i havent heard of anyone using it on a evo and figured i would take the chance and see what this turbo has to offer the evo community.

there are a few things right off the bat that i like about this turbo...

1: it comes with a 1 year no questions ask warranty. meaning if ANYTHING happens to this turbo they will replace it or fix it for free weither it be a defect or your fault. someone i know got into a wreck and destroyed the turbo and turbonetics gave him a brand new one "no questions asked". and after the 1 year this is a 2 year warranty for defects and what not...

2: the hotside comes coated from factory

3: the anti surge housing looks awesome and is actually part of the housing not just a press in.

4: it just looks SWEET!

now for the review. spool is great, idk where the rumor of the gtk turbos spooling really slow started but this is not the case (for me anyway)

this is roughly how the turbo is spooling. its kinda a blurr and hard to watch everything while keeping the car on the road lol

3000rpm=5psi
3500rpm=10psi
4000rpm=20psi
4800rpm=32psi

tunning is not close to being done yet since ive been working so much i only have a day or two here and there off and i use that time to recoop lol. but hopefully i will have some hard facts of spool (jdm map sensor) dyno sheet and 1/4 mile times.

i am very impressed so far with this turbo. at 32 psi it feels very strong and when driving daily it is very responsive and boost is there very quickly when its needed. it has a diff sound when spooling due to its anti surge housing, its more audiable at low boost and sounds pretty cool.

current mods to car:

gtk550 turbo with .82 hotside
turbonetics cast turbo manifold
turbonetics evolution wastegate
ets 4in intake pipe
gm 3in blowthru maf
smc meth kit (100% meth) m10 nozzle
comp 280 cams
buschur racing race fmic
buschur upper and lower ic pipes
perrin cat back
cat delete pipe
25 shot of nitrous(soon to add ic sprayer)
gizzmo ms-ibc ebc
etc etc

stock block
stock head
stock im
stock tb
stock ecu

even without having the dyno numbers or 1/4 times i am completly happy with this turbo. it is something diff then the usual 35r or hta35r and def has my vote because of the warranty alone. the gtk550 has put down some really good numbers in the srt4 world (505whp at 24-25psi)

i will keep everyone updated as far as dyno numbers and 1/4 mile times but bear with me as i am spending most of my time outta town on a oil rig working for 3 weeks at a time.

me and hellcat will be doing the tune ourselves and getting it to turbochargers.com new mustang dyno once we feel the tune is good.

oh and a little history of my car....with the evo8 20-9-5 (i think thats what turbo it is lol) the car trapped 114-115 at 22psi without meth. and put down 350whp (mustang dyno) with meth and only touching the boost (raised to 24-25psi) the rest of the tune was pretty much the same and the afr's were in the 10's. the only reason i dynoed it was because turbochargers.com was having a dyno break in day and i didnt have a chance to tune for the meth but still wanted to dyno it just for s&g's.

I am only doing this review to inform the evo community of my findings. either this turbo is going to perform very well or its going to fall short, witchever it may be i will give my honest and un biast review. my main goal is to figure out if this turbo with be an alternative to the god of all turbos (hta35r) or a failed attempt by turbonetics....

just want to say thanks to turbochargers.com for the great deals on all the turbonetics stuff and to hellcat (carl) for the help with tunning

here are the current pics

fabed down pipe

random pics of turbo and engine

here is my BASELINE DLL graph before any tunning.
low timing (-1 at peakboost and 7-8 at 7800rpm and running in the low 11's afrs)

EDIT: i had the DLL setup wrong, here is the updated graph of the same log (508hp 395tq)

this is a overlay with a hta35r equipted car (SEE POST #53 FOR DETAILS)
(mine is the "benchmark")

since im posting pics here are some pics of my baby aka "THE BEAST"

Last edited by magyar86; Sep 29, 2008 at 03:43 AM. Reason: add pics
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Great to see you going outside of the mold. Let us know how it performs when the tune is solid
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Pics!
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Hands down this is a great turbo. With the 1 year no questions ask warranty it should be selling more but no one really wants to give it a chance. Good luck with your setup when you get a chance post some pics of your setup.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:15 AM
PPI
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This will be interesting to see the results of. It would be nice to see some actual logs to see exactly where the turbo spools to compliment your dyno graphs later!
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

i havent had a chance to make my engine bay look pretty yet but ill go take some pics right now and get them posted up....
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

I have a pic of the turbo on my phone that I will try to post up. Turbo is out of the car though. I won't post pics of his car til he's ready The car moves out....hard, and it's about 60 percent tuned.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for waiting for me to say its cool carl. but you can post whatever pics you got, im not worried about trying to keep the car under raps around h-town anymore so feel free lol
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
32 PSI on the stock block!
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

k, pics are up!!
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alloutDSM
32 PSI on the stock block!
yessir! gotta love 4g63's...but im saving for the motor and head build and going to try to get it done asap.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:22 PM

I have some experience with this turbo.... Like the OP stated. "the gtk550 has put down some really good numbers in the srt4 world (505whp at 24-25psi

I used to own a Srt4. And these turbos are somewhat used but they get smaller applications (GTK 350) because of the limited RPM use being that is a 2.4 liter car. Srt4 owner likes the power to come on at 2800 to 3200 RPMs.
Now with our car being 2.0 and some ppl revving to 9k. These turbos would be nice fit becuase they hit pretty hard around 4k. These turbos are definatly give the EVo community something to look at.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...sigb=12uhvn8lr
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

awsome cars im interested to see how this turbo turns out in the 1/4 and maybe the spool for road race. a 2.3 and this turbo i might end up trying
Old Sep 10, 2008, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tvor
Great to see you going outside of the mold. Let us know how it performs when the tune is solid
yea im glad i did something diff for a change, mainly so i can give back to the community.

thanks for the interest guys. i will do my best to get the "hard facts" asap but were soo busy at work im only home for 4-5 days a month right now.

oh on a side note, if this turbo setup makes good power i will be working with turbochargers.com to put together a kit at a good price for everyone!

Quick Reply: turbonetics gtk550 turbo review