Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

JMfabrications product review SMIM's and more!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2008, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JMfabrications product review SMIM's and more!!

So after a few months of decisions of what route to take with the evo and who to go with I decided to settle with JMfabrications as I have had an on going relationship with them. So with that said there has been allot of people asking questions about there products, such as intake manifolds, piping, ect. Well I am your man for the answers!!

1st I am going to name off a list of parts of testing in this thread

-Drag version intake manifold
-Race/street version intake manifold
-FMIC
-I/C piping
-Small battery kit
-accessories

Now onto some photos.

1st up we have the intake manifolds that allot of you are wondering about.

Drag version on the left and race/street version on the right

So on with the pics of the drag version intake manifold to start with.

This unit is a piece of work! Being a long time customer of JMfab I've never expected nothing less but perfection, and of course as always they come through with just that. The welds are perfect! I've ran JMfab intake manifolds for years now, 2 of them were on my drag car (the 8sec talon in my sig) And have held up to ungodly amounts of abuse. Never once have I had one crack

Now back to the drag version intake manifold.
Again this is a great piece. not only does it look good it comes with a nice SS dipstick tube with a spring to spring down that pesky dipstick from popping out on occasion.

So this intake manifold was the 1st one that went on my car as of last night, right now I'm currently running the stock 03 turbo with a 10.5 hotside. Not knowing how well this was going to perform and a bit nervous about running it with a stock turbo, my nerves were calmed down last night after the 1st 10 minutes of driving the car.

~IMPRESSIONS~
Spool difference between the stock intake manifold and the drag version intake was pretty much the same, maybe a slight quicker spool with the drag version manifold.
Lowend power to my surprise was NOT compromised at all, I figured with this huge plenum and being a short runner manifold it would loose the nice mid/low end grunt the stock turboed evo's have. Infact the low end grunt was absolutely no different then the stock manifold, this is a plus in my books.
Midrange power was improved over the stock intake manifold, the car is tuned on E85 at 12.1 A/F through out the power band, after installing the drag version manifold I figured it would lean out up top for the most part, well to my surprise not only did it lean out up top but in the mid range as well, the tune went from 12.1 A/F to 12.7-12.8 A/F ratio between 5300-6800rpm. This is very usable for the simple fact that between shifts you fall back to 5500rpm when revving to 7500rpm. So how does the mid range feel and how does it feel between quick shifts? Absolutely awesome! I was seriously impressed as I did not expect any gains through the mid range using the stock turbo.
Top end power on the other hand didn't feel like it changed a whole lot, lot of the reasons being is the stock turbo is just out of breath past 7000rpm. But the car does pull very clean and hard to 8000rpm with no problems. I suspect with a larger turbo such as a HTA 35r would greatly improve up top with this manifold.

BONUS TIME! This is one thing that I was greatly shock and very impressed with, after thinking about it for a while it just makes sense. We all know the stock turbo loves to spike hard. Well with the drag version intake it got rid of 70% of the hard boost spike. Before with the stock manifold it would spike 28lbs then fall to 19lbs. With the drag version manifold it would spike 25lbs and now it holds 21lbs through 7500rpm!! So recap, less spike, and holds 2-3lbs more of boost then the stock intake manifold, the boost curve looks much better then before, it just holds boost longer then it did with the stock intake manifold.

DYNO #'s will come soon, I am going to do testing on the stock manifold, drag version manifold and the race/street version manifold. So hold tight for those for the time being!

Moving onto the race/street version intake manifold

Pics

~IMPRESSIONS~
I have yet to test this manifold as of yet, just did get them the other day, so expect some results here within the next couple of weeks as I wanna give the drag version a run for a little bit.

I/C piping

Upper pipe

Lower I/C pipe

The piping is awesome piece of work, they come in a nice vacuum sealed bag to keep them nice and shinny to your door step.

Mini batter kit
Don't mind the hose clamp on the negative terminal, the terminal fitting was broke when I bought the car, have yet to fix this ha!

Again JMfab hit the nail on the head on this one, why look just plain jane with any other mini battery kit when you can have a great looking piece like this, it just looks great under the hood, the kit comes with the tray, misc hardware and a nice odyssey battery. This battery works great!! It fires the car off just like the big stock battery does. I've been very impressed thus far with this kit.
The install was straight forward and took me 10 minutes to put in, everything fit perfectly!

JMfab COP plate

the picture does the speaking for itself, test fitting this fit perfectly and looks absolutely sick!

over flow can

This happens to be one of my favorites, don't ask why but I just love this unit. It looks so much better then the stock plastic POS and functions great! it fits perfect as well. And for the price of it you can't go wrong!

FMIC **UPDATED 1-15-09**
Just received the FMIC from JMfabrications. Right off this is a awesome piece of work! The welds are perfect.

PICS

it fits like a glove, it couldn't have fitted better. The FMIC comes with 3 mounting tabs, obviously the center one and the other 2 are on the sides of the endtanks. FMIC also comes with 2 nice aluminum spacers for you guys that still want to run the bumper support beam, the spacers go between the bumper mounting point and the bumper itself, pretty self explanatory there.
Couple of things about this FMIC,
1-you can still use the OEM I/C pipes with this core, the way the end tanks and inlet/outlet is designed it will accept the stock piping
2-this FMIC was designed to work both with the evo 8 and the evo 9. On the evo 9 the bumper cover covers the endtanks, on the evo 8 the endtanks are exposed and fills the bumper perfectly, the damn thing just looks so badass in there. I couldn't be more happier with this FMIC.
Now your wondering the size of the core and what brand the core is, the brand is a genuine Garrett core, it measures 24" x 12" x 4"

I had a 4" thick ebay FMIC on the car previously so to compare the 2 cores, I say this JMfab fmic whoops the crap out of the ebay core, no surprise there huh?
The turbo spooled a tad sooner then before, it was hard to tell a huge difference in power since it's been 30 degrees over here, where I will notice the true gains will be in the summer time.
Now when I went out to test it I did a 1st through 4th gear pull, spiking 30lbs dropping to 21lbs (stock turbo with 10.5 hotside)
After reviewing the log I thought there was something wrong with my AEM AIT sensor as the temp didn't move from 35 degrees through out the whole run, so I went back home and swapped it out with another one I had, went back out and logged again, hmmm, same results. It was just so hard to believe that there was not even a 1-2 degree increase. This thing was cooling the charge from a stock turbo screaming it's guts out. Unreal!! With the ebay core I would get about a 10-15 degree increase from a 1st through 3rd gear pull.
Knock voltage lowered some from this core, so I am able to add a tad more timing. From over laying the logs over the ebay core it shows a solid 10whp increase. So if your going from a stock FMIC to the JMfab FMIC expect more gains.
I will have pictures of the FMIC here in the next couple of days, we have some crappy weather out right now so I wanna wait till a decent day to take some photos.
I do wanna mention the I/C piping that I got from JMfab worked absolutely perfect with this FMIC, perfect fit and looks great. If your like me, I like to have stuff under the hood that looks nice rather then look cheap.

So stay tuned for pics. As far as dyno time, that will come during the spring time when the weather is decent enough to drive the 6-7 hours to the dyno.

All of these parts can be seen on www.jmfabrications.com web site.

I will continue to update this thread once more testing is done and starts. FMIC should be here within the next couple of weeks, so stay tuned!!

Last edited by evil_eagle; Jan 17, 2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

I cant wait to see some dyno number between them, are you still on stock ecu? did you had any codes with the manifold not running the egr?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Oh boy jake your gonna make a monster out of the evo too? well i also have the drag manifold mine is a rwd version for my rwd project here are some pics.

Old Dec 6, 2008, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dsm25psi
I cant wait to see some dyno number between them, are you still on stock ecu? did you had any codes with the manifold not running the egr?

I am currently on a AEM EMS right now, I was on the stock ecu last week, but got offered to do some trades for stock parts for this AEM, so I couldn't refuse the offer.

On the stock Ecu I disabled the EGR code as I was running a EGR block off plate. So yes you can run this manifold with the stock ecu, I wouldn't be scared to.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice write up.

Here is a question for those that know physics better than me. If you keep all things equal, and increase intake manifold plenum size, would that change the RPM point to which a particular boost level is reached?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 04:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Nice write up Jake. I am very interested in the numbers the drag manifold will put up on the dyno. I m trying to find a cheaper priced alternative to the magnus cast piece.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Gordian79
Oh boy jake your gonna make a monster out of the evo too? well i also have the drag manifold mine is a rwd version for my rwd project here are some pics.
Not taking the evo as far as the talon, I'm keeping this one 100% street DD car That most I will take this one is maybe mid to maybe low 9's and leave it there. But yes it will be a street monster that is for sure!

Glad to see you running the drag version on your RWD project, let me know how it works out!
Old Dec 6, 2008, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crcain
Nice write up.

Here is a question for those that know physics better than me. If you keep all things equal, and increase intake manifold plenum size, would that change the RPM point to which a particular boost level is reached?
Me and Brent at JMfab talked about that today and came to the conclusion the big boost spike on a stock intake manifold is due to the rather small plenum, then boost falls due to the choke point.
With the drag version the plenum is allot larger there fore does not fill the plenum as much with the stock turbo and holds more boost up top for the simple fact of the larger plenum design

As far as boost level being reached, I think what your saying is right on. I think it would reach boost quicker with a larger plenum as there is hardly any back pressure from the larger plenum, correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Last edited by evil_eagle; Dec 6, 2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

I said same thing about my evo 5 months later i have a motor being built at the machine shop and im getting an fp red,twin disk,shep tcase,shep trans etc wtf i have a problem lol.

hmm mine looks just like the evo one lol.we will see it intake can handle 50ish psi of a BW S400.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Gordian79
I said same thing about my evo 5 months later i have a motor being built at the machine shop and im getting an fp red,twin disk,shep tcase,shep trans etc wtf i have a problem lol.

hmm mine looks just like the evo one lol.we will see it intake can handle 50ish psi of a BW S400.

Well on my talon I was running the JMF drag version running 45lbs on a gt4202 turbo and a 100shot through it, it held perfectly!! I've had one small nitrous back fire one day by accident, and it didn't do anything to the manifold, it did however bend the butterfly plate on the throttle body
Old Dec 6, 2008, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

After your done with the manifolds just go head and send me the drag one,lol
Old Dec 6, 2008, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Ive had a backfire like that on the mustang.solenoid stayed open and when i pulled chute and get off throttle kaboom bent all 8 butterflys on shafts looked like clams lol.scared the **** out of me.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Two thumbs up to all the guys at JMF! I've been running Jim's manifolds (and other products) since he was building them out of his garage in the early days. Top notch products, service, and people at JMF!
Old Dec 6, 2008, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 11secDSM
Two thumbs up to all the guys at JMF! I've been running Jim's manifolds (and other products) since he was building them out of his garage in the early days. Top notch products, service, and people at JMF!
I couldn't agree more!! I don't look at JMF as a business anymore, more of close friends. They know how to treat people that is for sure! One of the only shops I have ever had give me a phone call to just follow up on how things were going with the products I received, they really do care about there customers.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Great review. Def have to look into one in the near future!

Quick Reply: JMfabrications product review SMIM's and more!!