Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Review: AMSOIL Synthetic driveline fluids

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review: AMSOIL Synthetic driveline fluids

Hey guys,

Got my shipment of Amsoil in a few weeks ago and finally had the time to get the fluids changed. I bought 3 quarts of their MTG for the trans and some of thier 75-90wt Severe Gear lube for the t-case and rear diff. I have to say I am impressed. The car is a well-maintained 04 RS with 50k on it. The driveline fluids have been changed on schedule but they were all pretty dirty nonetheless. I could feel the difference as soon as I backed out of the driveway; the transmission made less noise in reverse than I had been used to. After driving easily around town for about 10 minutes, the fluids were warmed up and the car felt a considerable amount smoother. Gear changes are now silky smooth, and a deceleration noise on the 4th to 3rd downshift shift from the front diff in now gone. The only downside to this fluid swap was the gear oil I spilled on the downpipe by accident. The heat wrap soaked up quite a bit of it, and it smells terrible now that its burning off

The $11 oil pump that Amsoil sells on thier website makes the job alot easier :thumbsup:

The difference this fluid makes more than makes up for the price, and I will be a returning customer. Hope this review helps,

-Alan
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have 3 quart sitting in my room right now, gonna wait for a warm day and put them in!, can't wait.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RallyRedRS
Hey guys,

Got my shipment of Amsoil in a few weeks ago and finally had the time to get the fluids changed. I bought 3 quarts of their MTG for the trans and some of their 75-90wt Severe Gear lube for the t-case and rear diff. I have to say I am impressed. The car is a well-maintained 04 RS with 50k on it. The drive line fluids have been changed on schedule but they were all pretty dirty nonetheless. I could feel the difference as soon as I backed out of the driveway; the transmission made less noise in reverse than I had been used to. After driving easily around town for about 10 minutes, the fluids were warmed up and the car felt a considerable amount smoother. Gear changes are now silky smooth, and a deceleration noise on the 4th to 3rd downshift shift from the front diff in now gone. The $11 oil pump that Amsoil sells on their website makes the job a lot easier. The difference this fluid makes more than makes up for the price, and I will be a returning customer.
Good review. I will be looking at purchasing the exact fluids. Thanks.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

The difference you're feeling could just be from putting fresh fluids in there... or it could be the placebo effect. I swear my gearbox always shifts smoother after I change the engine oil.

get your driveline fluids analized at a place like blackstone labs next time you change them and let the test results tell you the whole story.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 08:40 PM

my 03 evo has 63000 miles on it...and it has the original fluids in it....i'm imagining it will shift a lot smoother once i get the fluids changed. not too sure what it should shift like since its the only evo i've driven and i put a fidanza short shifter in it
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by justin123456789
my 03 evo has 63000 miles on it...and it has the original fluids in it....i'm imagining it will shift a lot smoother once i get the fluids changed. not too sure what it should shift like since its the only evo i've driven and i put a fidanza short shifter in it
If you are still on the original fluids then crisco would probably feel a lot smoother than the crap thats in there now.... Every 30000 miles take care of your tranny!
Old Jan 30, 2009, 07:09 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great choice of fluids, AMSOIL the first in synthetics. ALL AMerican
Remember if you guys buy from a delaer us, you will get dealer pricing,,, why becuse there is no money made in retail for us,,, so we decided to sell at cost on evom,, al we charge is shipping. no gimick not worth it for me to make an extra 2 bucks...

i now my 5speed had the same positive effects,, after i changed to MTG GL4 AMSOIL,, quieter tranny and shifting smother on cold starts,,,, no need to take the oil to operating temps anymore to feel the smoth shifting.

Originally Posted by RallyRedRS
Hey guys,

Got my shipment of Amsoil in a few weeks ago and finally had the time to get the fluids changed. I bought 3 quarts of their MTG for the trans and some of thier 75-90wt Severe Gear lube for the t-case and rear diff. I have to say I am impressed. The car is a well-maintained 04 RS with 50k on it. The driveline fluids have been changed on schedule but they were all pretty dirty nonetheless. I could feel the difference as soon as I backed out of the driveway; the transmission made less noise in reverse than I had been used to. After driving easily around town for about 10 minutes, the fluids were warmed up and the car felt a considerable amount smoother. Gear changes are now silky smooth, and a deceleration noise on the 4th to 3rd downshift shift from the front diff in now gone. The only downside to this fluid swap was the gear oil I spilled on the downpipe by accident. The heat wrap soaked up quite a bit of it, and it smells terrible now that its burning off

The $11 oil pump that Amsoil sells on thier website makes the job alot easier :thumbsup:

The difference this fluid makes more than makes up for the price, and I will be a returning customer. Hope this review helps,

-Alan