Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Buschur bullet TP + 'quiet' catback

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2009 | 02:05 PM
EvoM Moderator

Buschur bullet TP + 'quiet' catback

You want a quiet exhaust? You want to make maximum power? Look no further.

Over two years ago, I purchased a buschur 3" TBE w/ the bullet muffler and hiflo cat. The car was relatively quiet, as I had just come from a 2G DSM with an apexi downpipe/testpipe/catback and it was BOOMY and LOUD!

About 6 months later I decided to swap out the cat for a testpipe, and was super glad I did! The car picked up torque and power, it was great! Noise was 'just a tad louder' but it was springtime and I didn't care. It was fun to have a fast, semi loud car with throaty exhaust.

As the summer wore on, I grew weary of the rhaspyness of the car and opted for a second bullet muffler in the testpipe. I had came across a buschur exhaust and through a deal between two friends and myself, we bought it. One guy got the testpipe from it, I got the bullet muffler, cut it out and welded it into the testpipe (for my car) and the last guy got a muffler-less catback. Everyone was happy!

Now, a year later, I decided to try out Buschur's 'quiet' catback with the magnaflow muffler. I ended up picking up just the axle-back from SloRice (thanks man!) and it slipped right on without a hitch! I was *very* impressed that over almost 3 years I can buy different pieces of this exhaust and fit them together w/o any problems.

So I start the car up and go to the back of the car to check for exhaust leaks. To my amazement, I stumble a little and end up with my face right in the tail pipe (but didn't hit it) and my ears are not bleeding! The car is genuinely quiet! At a cruise, I can listen to the radio at lower volume, at WOT the car is still loud enough to make me smile. I am 100% happy with this setup, and would recommend it to anyone with anxious cops in, whiney neighbors, or just looking to quiet things down and stay on the d/l.

I'm considering throwing in one of their new 'SD' mufflers into the straight section just behind the testpipe, but honestly I don't know if the car needs it. I'm mentioning it to a friend and he's yelling at me, 'stop! you're quiet enough!' and frankly, he's probably right.

Vid of startup, idle, and some random driving, some WOT runs with and without alky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxrvpQCfLCQ

Last edited by scheides; Feb 6, 2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

nice write up

but im sure it also depends on where you live. im pretty sure that the buschur magnaflow catback wont fly in certain cities in California
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 02:25 PM
Account Disabled

good info, I'll be keeping this in mind for my own
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Good review and write up. Almost two years after I ordered my turboback from them it and still works w/o any problems.
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

I rode in his car last night and it was definitely on the quiet side. This combo should keep plenty of attention away since its not harsh or raspy and has no rice canister right at the back of the car.
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

I was considering swapping to the new br one that was mentioned to be quiet. I currently have an apexi n1 which is quiet imo compared to some of the other exhaust I have seen out there.

Good write up!
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Sweet, nice write up! I have been looking at ways to get my noise down too, I may have to look into this. Do you have any possible pics of the setup scheides?
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 04:59 PM
EvoM Moderator

I'll take a pic if I can, but it's the middle of winter here in MN, and unfortunately its an unending battle against salt salt salt. I'll update the OP when I get it cleaned up. With that said, all of the original bolts for this exhaust came off w/o too much trouble. I had the whole axle-back section swaped in about 20 minutes. Nice, considering it was about 10'F out and not a ton warmer than that in my garage.
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

This is my car, but his looks the same except he has the tip positioned to stick out a bit farther and is newer/shinier than mine.

Old Feb 5, 2009 | 08:44 PM

I've been wanting a similar setup, but I'm worried about how the muffler will look with the JDM rear.
Old Feb 6, 2009 | 06:30 AM
Account Disabled

how about an audio clip?
Old Feb 6, 2009 | 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Glad you like it!!

Here's a pic of the muffler on my car when I had it.

Old Feb 6, 2009 | 10:14 PM
EvoM Moderator

First post updated w/ pics and vid!
Old Feb 6, 2009 | 10:32 PM
Account Disabled

wow, that's like stock exhaust levels isn't it?

thanks for the vid, it was a real eye opener
Old Feb 6, 2009 | 11:11 PM
Account Disabled

[QUOTE=scheides;6657286]You want a quiet exhaust? You want to make maximum power? Look no further.

Over two years ago, I purchased a buschur 3" TBE w/ the bullet muffler and hiflo cat. The car was relatively quiet, as I had just come from a 2G DSM with an apexi downpipe/testpipe/catback and it was BOOMY and LOUD!

About 6 months later I decided to swap out the cat for a testpipe, and was super glad I did! The car picked up torque and power, it was great! Noise was 'just a tad louder' but it was springtime and I didn't care. It was fun to have a fast, semi loud car with throaty exhaust.

Did you lose any power switching to this setup and does it weigh the same as the bullet setup.

Quick Reply: Buschur bullet TP + 'quiet' catback