Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Competiton Clutch Stage 3 and Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2009, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
3 wavy washers! What is this, a twin-disc?
LOL nope, twins use 4
Old Jul 10, 2009, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by S2kracka
The TOB broke and damaged the pressure plate in the process; my car has been down for a week I will say though, Competition really stands behind their product and over-nighted a new clutch assembly since it was their supplied TOB that broke. The clutch is in the process of being installed so it should be back up and running early next week ready for another 500 mile break-in period which sucks, but definitely ok since I got a brand new clutch out of the deal. They're now recommending the use of OEM Mitsu TOB's with 3 wavy washers so keep that in mind when installing a Competition kit.

This clutch should be able to withstand plenty of spirited driving and launches with 323 wtq.
TOB broke?!?

Damn I have the CCI stage 4 in right now. I really dont want that sucker to break even if they replace things, the downtime and huge headache of replacing the clutch sucks!

If you dont mind me asking did you call CCI directly or did you talk with the vendor in warrantying the clutch?
Old Jul 10, 2009, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

I called CCI directly and they were more than willing to help me, then MAP, who I got the clutch from, also spoke with them. The TOB failure by no means affects everyone and in reality its a small percentage of customers. As a safety measure they are recommending all future customers do run an OEM TOB though since aftermarket replacements do traditionally have a higher failure rate. I'll definitely report back once my car is back on the road; I expect it to be as good as new. In the meantime, I'll keep rocking the '86 Dodge Omni GLH my friend was kind enough to lend me

The thing that really bums me out is that now I need to find an Evo to co-drive in autocross instead of driving my own car at MAP's big race event weekend at BIR.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

I got my car back tonight with the new clutch and its feeling good so far. After about 10k on my previous clutch the TOB took a crap and destroyed the pressure plate in the process. MAP worked with Competition and got a replacement Stage 3 sent at no charge, and Comp even reimbursed MAP for the labor. Thanks to MAP for getting this taken care of and thank you to Competition for really standing behind their product and doing what it takes to make the customer happy. Competition has had numerous Evo TOB failures so they are now recomending the use of an OEM Mitsu TOB instead so hopefully this fixes the issue. So far after driving it for an evening it seems the OEM TOB is much quieter than the Comp TOB which is a good thing since the clutch no longer rattles on decel.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm.. I have a comp clutch stage 3 kit about to be bolted on. Last night I removed the fork and old throw out bearing then cleaned the inside of the bell housing because it was filthy. Now you have me nervous. That was a ***** of a job and I'd like to avoid having to take the trans back out for a stupid part failure that shouldn't happen.

Should I not use the bearing supplied? Should I put it off with my car apart in a friends garage until I can get a new OEM bearing? Should I consider reusing my old OEM bearing since my car only have 14,000 miles?
Old Jul 15, 2009, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

With only 14k miles you'd be fine reusing your stock bearing.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

As much as I didn't want to I cleaned up the throw out bearing I took out and put it back in. It definitely felt slightly different than the one that came with the kit. I can't wait for a new OEM up here in BFE and I wasn't taking the chance on having to take this thing apart again anytime soon.

Thanks for the heads up I guess. I was wondering if CC would give me any type of refund if I send them the crap bearing they gave me which I didn't use? Seems they should be obligated to supply one that works since one supposedly comes with the kit.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

You'd have to give them a call and see what they say. It can't hurt and the worst they can do is say no
Old Jul 16, 2009, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by s2kracka
i got my car back tonight with the new clutch and its feeling good so far. After about 10k on my previous clutch the tob took a crap and destroyed the pressure plate in the process. Map worked with competition and got a replacement stage 3 sent at no charge, and comp even reimbursed map for the labor. Thanks to map for getting this taken care of and thank you to competition for really standing behind their product and doing what it takes to make the customer happy. Competition has had numerous evo tob failures so they are now recomending the use of an oem mitsu tob instead so hopefully this fixes the issue. So far after driving it for an evening it seems the oem tob is much quieter than the comp tob which is a good thing since the clutch no longer rattles on decel.

Wow !
Old Aug 6, 2009, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Well, the revised pressure plate I was sent a month ago turned out to be deffective and wouldn't clip on to the TOB properly. Long story short...

The car is back on the road! Comp sent me an Exedy pressure plate since they were still working on correcting their pressure plate machining issue. After my car was put back together by MAP I was informed that Competition already has a fix out for their pressure plate so going forward customers should be set! I said it before and I'm going to say it again, Competition's customer service is top notch and I'm SUPER impressed at how they stand behind their products and make sure their customers are 100% happy.

I also need to thank MAP for getting my car into their shop on such short notice and getting everything taken care of for me on their end yet again.

Last edited by Kracka; Aug 8, 2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the new CCI kits come w/ an oem throwout bearing now with the 4 wavy washers?

Additionally, anybody have experience on the stage 2 clutch? Or is it better just to go with stage 3 just in case for a little bit more holding power?

Is the stage 3 alot noiser and harsher than stage 2?

around 300WHP/300WTQ max.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 03:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by S2kracka
Well, the revised pressure plate I was sent a month ago turned out to be deffective and wouldn't clip on to the TOB properly. Long story short...

The car is back on the road! Comp sent me an Exedy pressure plate since they were still working on correcting their pressure plate machining issue. After my car was put back together by MAP I was informed that Competition already has a fix out for their flywheel so going forward customers should be set! I said it before and I'm going to say it again, Competition's customer service is top notch and I'm SUPER impressed at how they stand behind their products and make sure their customers are 100% happy.

I also need to thank MAP for getting my car into their shop on such short notice and getting everything taken care of for me on their end yet again.

Hyumm?
Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by maperformance
Hyumm?
Whoops, typo, meant to say pressure plate.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by funks
Does the new CCI kits come w/ an oem throwout bearing now with the 4 wavy washers?

Additionally, anybody have experience on the stage 2 clutch? Or is it better just to go with stage 3 just in case for a little bit more holding power?

Is the stage 3 alot noiser and harsher than stage 2?

around 300WHP/300WTQ max.
I'm not sure what TOB and how many wavy spring washers CCI is including with their kits, that would definitely be someing to ask about. You can always reuse your 2 stock ones and add them to your new kit.

The Stage 2 is going to feel very similar to stock but it should be able to handle launches a bit better and have more overall holding power. At your stated power level the Stage 2 will be a good match for you unless you plan on doing a lot of drag racing/launches.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Do all of their stage 3 pressure plates have this TB clip issue? Am I just waiting for mine to fail? I don't quite have 700 miles on it yet. It feels good so far.

Quick Reply: Competiton Clutch Stage 3 and Flywheel