Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Competiton Clutch Stage 3 and Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2009, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Just a limited number so unless yours gives you problems don't worry about it. Luckily they caught the issue and made the needed corrections.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a stage 4 competition clutch kit. Does anyone know anything about these. Should I go ahead and purchase a new stock TOB?
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:13 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, OEM TOB!
Old Oct 19, 2009, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

I really gave my car a workout this weekend with numerous hard/fast up/downshifts and the clutch only got better the hotter it got! The more heat the harder it grabbed and shifts were always quick and precise.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Good to hear. I just installed this clutch yesterday. But I had an issue with the pressure plate clip not engagin on the TOB straight. It was on an angle and caused a huge, massive, rattle that was felt and heard from the clutch pedal. But today we corrected the issue and it is running very nicely now.

As for the person that was asking about the stage 4 clutch. That was my previous clutch in which I took out and replaced.

This was only after 6k miles and about 20 launches.

As you can see, a lot of material came off the clutch. Also in the process it scar'd the flywheel a littl as well. I had to take a peice of sand paper and clean out the surface of the flywheel before installing the stage 3 yesterday.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 05:22 PM

was the clutch worn or did you just replace it because of other interests.

also, on scale of 1-10 how much of an ******* do you drive like? 10 being constant banging gears everywhere you go so nobody can catch you to ask for a race in the first place. or 1 being on the rare occasion of people pissing you off/trying to race.

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Good to hear. I just installed this clutch yesterday. But I had an issue with the pressure plate clip not engagin on the TOB straight. It was on an angle and caused a huge, massive, rattle that was felt and heard from the clutch pedal. But today we corrected the issue and it is running very nicely now.

As for the person that was asking about the stage 4 clutch. That was my previous clutch in which I took out and replaced.

This was only after 6k miles and about 20 launches.

Last edited by LadyJDM; Mar 29, 2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LadyJDM
was the clutch worn or did you just replace it because of other interests.
Take a look at his pics. His Stage 4 was pretty much shot which is why he went with the Stage 3 instead.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Wow that stage 4 is messed up! I hope mine holds! How much power did were you puttin down with the stage 4? Stage 3 might be the way to go..
Old Mar 29, 2010, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

I drive in a way to save the most gas as possible accelerate while still showing vacuum on the boost gauge. I do this about 95% of my daily driving. Also I shift pretty soft and slowly during daily driving.

I do a WOT pulls maybe 1-2 times per tank or sometimes never.

When I go to the track as I did with that clutch I shift as fast as I can but mostly lift shifts. I have tried WOT shifting as well but feel to guilty after wards so I stopped doing that. Besides it only made a tenth of a difference in which I dont care too much about. Also I do many many runs at the track as well. I probably did 12+ runs that last time at the track.

I was and still am running TBE, cone filter, mbc Tuned 24 psi peak and what ever it holds for the power mods. At that time I did however have the stock 9 trans and 5th syncro grind. But felt a lot of chatter during engagement and decided to change the clutch to Stage 3 when I upgraded to Shep Trans street/Strip with the longer Evo 8 3rd 4th 5th gears, but still running the 9 1st and 2n. (2nds is the same length gear btw)

With that being said I was probably running 290-320 whp what ever the above power mods give. I was dissappointed with only a 109 best trap speed then going down to 103 and couldnt do better. I think the clutch might have been slipping slightly during acceleration thats why I was trapping less.

CCI replaced the clutch for me, but I bought a stage 3 so I sold the new stage 4 for a pretty low price. They dont know why and neither do I for why it got toasted like that for.

As for the stage 3, I put on probably about 8-10k miles and have not launched it at all. I do however in a blue moon get that elephant sound that a member made a thread about here. I dont know what causes it but its not that loud and just makes it once and disappears. Maybe weather/humidity related?? Other than that its pretty smooth grip for normal driving and bites pretty hard during fast shifting/clutch release.

However I do wish that I resurfaced the flywheel before putting this on just for the piece of mind. But I did use some light high grit sand paper action on the flywheel to smooth it a bit.

Last edited by BluEVOIX; Mar 29, 2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Popped my Comp stage 4 TOB Clip today fooling around on the freeway rowing gears, I've only got 1,000 miles on mine. Even had the MAP stopper on it as well. I limped it home in 3rd running stop signs and pushed it back in. I guess it didn't like fast shifting.
Not sure if I should be worried about it doing it again.
-James
Old Apr 2, 2010, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Are you running an OEM Mitsu TOB? How many wavy spring washers? Was your fork stopper setup properly?
Old Apr 2, 2010, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Kracka,

How do you like the stage 3, how many miles are on your new one?
Old Apr 2, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

He is using the provided TOB and we adjusted the stopper to what was recommended by MAP.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Kracka any updates as to how your clutch is holding up with your current setup/power?

Currently I am running HTA Green with E85 tune. And previously before with the stock turbo I have only launched my car 2 times since this clutch install over 12k miles ago. And today I tried to launch with my new power level and this clutch absolutely slipped through ! The 2 step is set at 5750 rpms, and when launching even with the clutch all the way out, the rpms just shot to my rev limiter 8k rpms and car wasnt accelerating much. After that clutch was absolutely not gripping until I pulled to the side to let it cool. Then it drove fine and held any WOT pulls I gave it, but I didnt launch after that.

Dont know how much power I'm putting down, but probably 450 whp...
Old Oct 4, 2010, 02:48 AM

Out of curiosity....this is the same clutch I installed on mine before I left on a deployment, and afterwards I had an issue with clutch pressure no longer being there..........the clutch pedal pressure is less then what the OEM was...........granted I had to swap the master cylinder out and re-bleed...and re-bleed...and again. Has anybody had any issues like this? Not trying to take the thread Overall Ive read nothing but good things and even though the pressure isnt there in the pedal the clutch is still grabbing and pulling hard and you definatly cant argue with the price.

Quick Reply: Competiton Clutch Stage 3 and Flywheel