Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Indy Evo Carbon Cam Sensor Shield

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2009, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Indy Evo Carbon Cam Sensor Shield

Those of you who are running tubular manifolds, and have lost the factory heat shields probably have seen the threads about cam sensor failures from excessive heat.

I saw a photo of this cool custom cam sensor protector made of carbon fiber awhile back, and found out Indy Evo is the source. I got him to send me one. It's BEAUTIFULLY MADE out of carbon fiber.

This is NOT the whole setup. Indy send a piece of high quality silver reflective adhesive backed foil that is 96% heat reflective along with the shield. I didn't put it on yet, because I wanted to show the quality of the carbon work itself. Testing has been done with a infrared heat measuring gun that shows a dramatic reduction in heat at the cam sensor with this cam shield installed.

Here's some pics of it installed (although the TS manifold parts are not on the car yet)

Another well designed and useful part from the Indy Evo line Thanks, Indy!

P.S. Indy tells me that this part can be purchased directly from 9sec9.com at http://www.9sec9.com/shop/catalog/search?shop_param= The part including the foil cover costs around $65.00 or so.

NOW THAT THE ALUMINIUM COPIES OF THIS PART ARE FAILING LEFT AND RIGHT, YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU BOUGHT THE ORIGINAL CARBON FIBER PART, NOT THE CHEAP VERSION THAT CAN'T STAY IN ONE PIECE.

The silver reflective foil can also be bought directly from Wilson in sizes large enough to do the valve cover. The goid foil on my valve cover is NOT as reflective as the silver that Wilson sells, and I'll be replacing it soon. You could get the gold stuff shown from Summit if you love the color
Attached Thumbnails Indy Evo Carbon Cam Sensor Shield-dscn5503.jpg   Indy Evo Carbon Cam Sensor Shield-dscn5501.jpg   Indy Evo Carbon Cam Sensor Shield-dscn5502.jpg  

Last edited by CO_VR4; Nov 15, 2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 06:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats a great looking piece...maybe i'll have Indy design us a Carbon mounting plate for our coils. Indy...where are you?
Old Feb 20, 2009, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you done any before and after tests with an infrared pyrometer our similar device to see if its actually doing anything or not? Also, where did you get the gold heat barrier on the valve cover?
Old Feb 20, 2009, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Yup , I have that installed in my car I was going to do a review about it.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 05:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Wow, thanks CO_VR4 for the great post, we are glad you like the shield. Things have been very fluid at Wilson Manifolds R&D wise, and since I have a break from the race stuff I can now spend more time on the Evo side of things. There will be many new and innovative products coming from Wilson Manifolds this year. With the addition of engine and chassis dyno facilities coming on line we will be ready to move forward with our product line.

Craig at Spark Tech, funny you should mention that, I have two options for your Non CDI COP mounting plate in the works now. The carbon/kevlar plate was in the autoclave Friday and a titanium plate went with a batch of parts that Shumacher Racing was getting water jet cut this past week. We should get the finished parts late next week.

Sharkbite 2000 I know you love carbon, just wait there will be plenty of stuff coming.

For more info on Wilson Manifolds Evo components or becoming a dealer please contact 954-771-6216 ext 200

Thanks again, Indy
Old Feb 21, 2009, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where can this be purchased? I'm very interested in the piece as I'm running a JM Fab tubular manifold. Also many of my customers are running tubular manifolds and could benefit from this as well along with the silver reflective tape that you (Indy Evo) found.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Those look pretty baller, I was gonna make a simple one for my car, but I just might have to pick one of these up now.

Fathouse
Old Feb 21, 2009, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Here's what they look like with the (included) silver heat reflecting foil applied.

(You can see why the last "A" I got in art was in grade school )

They look better in plain carbon fiber, but I bet the cam sensor will love the temperature reduction that the silver heat reflective foil gives.
Attached Thumbnails Indy Evo Carbon Cam Sensor Shield-dscn5504.jpg   Indy Evo Carbon Cam Sensor Shield-dscn5505.jpg  
Old Feb 21, 2009, 07:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Indy Evo

Craig at Spark Tech, funny you should mention that, I have two options for your Non CDI COP mounting plate in the works now. The carbon/kevlar plate was in the autoclave Friday and a titanium plate went with a batch of parts that Shumacher Racing was getting water jet cut this past week. We should get the finished parts late next week.

Thanks again, Indy
I like the sound of carbon/kevlar and titanium. Along with the Mil-spec wiring we'll soon need a set of wings. These Ignitions are gonna fly
Old Feb 21, 2009, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
nice
Old Feb 21, 2009, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought the cam sensor heat shield directly thru Buschur racing. I got it w/o the foil though lols since I wanted to save a few bucks....

maybe in the future I'll add some gold or silver foil to it.

This item is definately nice and I hope its doing its job as advertised.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
I bought the cam sensor heat shield directly thru Buschur racing. I got it w/o the foil though lols since I wanted to save a few bucks....

maybe in the future I'll add some gold or silver foil to it.

This item is definately nice and I hope its doing its job as advertised.
You used to be able to buy the cam sensor shield from Buschur Racing; now it is only available directly from Wilson Manifolds (phone number above).

It now comes with the heat reflective foil included, which is a nice addition

Last edited by CO_VR4; Feb 22, 2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_VR4
You can't buy this product from Buschur now.

It is now available directly from Wilson (phone number above), and I understand it now comes with the heat reflective foil included

Thats cool the foil comes included, I like the look of CF, and would hate to cover it up lol
Old Feb 22, 2009, 02:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks CO_VR4 for the photos. This photo shows the Wilson Manifolds Cam Sensor Shield with the heat reflective film installed. We will supply the film with each shield as a user installed option at no extra charge.

Photos from left to right:
new film on shield, sensor without a shield, yester-tech film on shield installed

Thanks, Indy
Attached Thumbnails Indy Evo Carbon Cam Sensor Shield-02-22-09_0435.jpg  
Attached Images   

Last edited by Indy Evo; Feb 22, 2009 at 05:48 AM.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 11:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Nice work as usual Indy, can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Quick Reply: Indy Evo Carbon Cam Sensor Shield