Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Review: Went from Exedy Twin HD to Quartermaster Twin

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2009, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigben
$1400+ for a clutch kit is the exact opposite of "without spending a fortune".
considering the fact that the exedy twin PUSH style is 2300 and it cant hold as much power, "without spending a fortune" is spot on.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 555R
so is it hell in traffic like an on off switch
If you have a good clutch foot you'll be fine, its a soft pedal but not too forgiving, but you cannot argue with how this thing grabs, in my opinion its the best clutch for evo
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cali2MDevo8
Rebuilt may be cheaper but it still cost 600-700 in labor for clutch job.

Like someone posted b4, I've heard only 12-15k miles out of this clutch. I don't really feel like doing a new clutch every year.

Anybody with some input on how long the clutch lasts??
do the labor yourself and all is good...
Old Jun 9, 2009, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a similar clutch (PTT 7.25) with sintered bronze material and it is an amazing clutch to drive besides the noise. When adjusted properly it will be easy to drie and it shifts SOO awesome. However, I am wearing the disks out about every 7-8K miles. I have gone through two sets of disks in 15K miles. This is in a mid 12sec street car daily driver. I will not break and it will hold the power but it wears out quickly. The sintered iron material is longer lasting but the bronze material that PTT uses doesnt wear any of the mating surfaces and it didnt need anything but disks when I took it apart the last time. Also PTT offers free rebuild labor on all clutches for life. You pay for parts thats it. I was considering trying the organic disks this next go round but I think I will stick with what I know works as this one does.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 08:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like a little bit of a adjustment issue. Sounds like you have dragging plates. I would recommend doing a "in air" Adjustment.

Are you using a pedal stop or no?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by maperformance
Sounds like a little bit of a adjustment issue. Sounds like you have dragging plates. I would recommend doing a "in air" Adjustment.

Are you using a pedal stop or no?
an "in air" adjustment??? As in on a lift or something?
Old Jun 10, 2009, 08:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Correct with the wheels off the ground and adjusting the clutch pedal until the wheels are not spinning when the clutch is depressed.

This is how I installed my QM and the car got almost 20k out of the disk!
Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My experience with the QM Twin

Originally Posted by maperformance
Correct with the wheels off the ground and adjusting the clutch pedal until the wheels are not spinning when the clutch is depressed.

This is how I installed my QM and the car got almost 20k out of the disk!

When you say almost 20K out of the clutch I'm assuming you mean in the high 17-18k range, this is about what i would expect to see someone getting out of the clutch regardless of the amount of power the car is making, so long as it doesn't exceed the maximum rated amount for the clutch. It'll either hold, or it won't, there's no real in-between with this thing.

Here's my personal review/$.02...

I got 47,427miles out of my stock clutch with plenty of material left on the disc to last a lot longer, but unfortunately the car was making a bit more torque than the pressure plate could handle at that point.

Put a quartermaster in the car and have loved it from day 1. Until it slipped on me last week. I just rolled over 65,000miles today so if you take, say, 250 miles off of that number (for arguments sake) when the clutch slipped last week thats approx. 17,573 miles that the QM lasted. A friend told me from what he's heard this is pretty high mileage for a QM, but I still expected it to last a bit longer, say at least 25K. Being that each disc is .250" thick. But, I guess, so I'm told, "Just because the material is more robust, that doesn't necessarily mean you're going to get more life..." Which still doesn't make much sense to me, it would make sense for that to be exactly how it should be...

Sorry, I digress...

I daily drive the car as well as visit our local 1/8 drag strip, and or, stoplight pretty regularly. To put a number on it, the clutch easily has 40+ launches on it with about a third at the track and the other two thirds on the street.

It is an AWESOME clutch to drag-race with. Launches very clean if slipped properly and feels like a hot knife through butter shifting at 7,800rpm... The 6-speed never felt so smooth. If you give it a little less slip on the street it will put on a nice little show and blow all four tires off, which is always fun.. haha.

Another thing I almost forgot to mention, which you'll notice immediately after install. Engine response. Being that the assembly is only 17-18lbs. (can't remember exactly how much it weighed) the car is SOOO much quicker to respond to blips when downshifting, makes the evo seem more like a snappy NA car when free-revving, which also lets you get up to two-step a bit quicker as well. I must add that it does take a little tinkering with the stock ecu to get the full effect of this because most of the problem (rev-hang) is in there to begin with. Pedal pressure is also as soft, or even a bit softer than stock, with very good engagement feel.

Overall I thought the clutch was great, and if you can live with the loud deceleration noise, the high pitch squeel the clutch emits when first being engaged from a stop (sounds like you're killing birds in your bell housing), and being a bit more attentive when coming off from a stop, I think you'll have a good time with it too.

Like I said earlier though, the only gripe I have is I was expecting this thing to last at least as long, if not longer than stock.

-LC

Last edited by Little China; Sep 2, 2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

~17 or 18K miles on a clutch ??? Yikes....What would the QM do if purely street driven (no drag strips or 2 steps launches) ?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+2...I'm stuck between this and the exedy twin hd also. I'd be putting down about 500+whp and the car would see no more than ten 2 step launches in a year, I don't go to the track too often.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by cij911
~17 or 18K miles on a clutch ??? Yikes....What would the QM do if purely street driven (no drag strips or 2 steps launches) ?
To answer your question as simply as possible, it wouldn't matter if you launched the car or came off a stoplight, the clutch sees these two actions as being the same (in both instances the clutch is being slipped) as far as wear. So to get the 'most' out of the clutch, you shouldn't mind launching the car, as the clutch going to wear at the same rate regardless. It would probably wear at a slower rate with multiple short slips, like during a launch, as opposed to less slightly longer slips, like coming off from a stoplight.

I say this because I've noticed that it's a pretty linear rate of wear, it has been getting worse and worse every day pretty predictably since I posted above when it first slipped on me. And I obviously haven't launched the car since before then.

So if you're not going to launch the car(often), the Quartermaster probably isn't the clutch for you.

I'll be posting up soon with a review of a clutch that many haven't considered, hopefully it will be as good as it sounds. It's not in my hands yet but it will be shortly.

Last edited by Little China; Oct 25, 2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
25K+ from an exedy twin is not uncommon.

A friend just got 57K out of his. Decent amount of highway miles.. but still. Car only made 303/303 on buschurs dyno.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

i'm going from a Spec supertwin to the QM hopefully by the end of this week so I too will be posting up impressions and results...
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:10 AM

As promised, here's a link to the review, and the mystery clutch I was talking about...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ferrerid=54287
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by batty200
I have a similar clutch (PTT 7.25) with sintered bronze material and it is an amazing clutch to drive besides the noise. When adjusted properly it will be easy to drie and it shifts SOO awesome. However, I am wearing the disks out about every 7-8K miles. I have gone through two sets of disks in 15K miles. This is in a mid 12sec street car daily driver. I will not break and it will hold the power but it wears out quickly. The sintered iron material is longer lasting but the bronze material that PTT uses doesnt wear any of the mating surfaces and it didnt need anything but disks when I took it apart the last time. Also PTT offers free rebuild labor on all clutches for life. You pay for parts thats it. I was considering trying the organic disks this next go round but I think I will stick with what I know works as this one does.
WOW!! that reliability is miserable. 2 clutch sets in 15 k miles?, no thanks!

Carlos

Quick Reply: Review: Went from Exedy Twin HD to Quartermaster Twin