Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Review: Went from Exedy Twin HD to Quartermaster Twin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
i'm gonna get an exedy twin with a fork stopper to fix the issue.. hoping it'll last me a while, stock clutch lasted 45k, and like someone said above, only started going cuz i'm making so much torque now
Old Apr 7, 2010, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just chiming in, My Quartermaster lasted me 10,775 miles. However, this is with my being dumb on the learning curve getting used to handling it.
It only has a half inch of travel between engaged and disengaged.
The noise is nothing noteworthy in neutral or clutch disengaged. the squeal on engagement is noticeable, but not bad. I give it a 3 out of 5 for the "next car thinks my car is old and busted" noise. Decel noise is not too bad. CLutch chatter under low load during highway cruise is unnerving, though. I give that a 4 out of 5.
But, forgetting the main point of buying the thing, It will handle whatever power you need.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

The first clutch I put in my car was an used Exedy twin HD. This clutch lasted me 15k and drove perfectly. Very easy clutch to learn off of. I even taught my wife how to drive a 5-speed with this clutch. When I decided to do some upgrades, I my first choice was an Exedy triple. Yes, the clutch is kind of expensive, but you get what you pay for. With no experience on this clutch, the first 60' cut was a 1.47. It's very predictable (unlike the QM) so the driver can easily find the engagement point of the clutch. This is coming from a person that had a QM in his 2g AWD and daily drove it. If you really want a consistent clutch that will last, I would go with an Exedy twin or triple.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nissan2Evo
The Quartermaster is very easy to daily drive. Feels better to me than the exedy did. The clutch pedal with the exedy felt like it dragged sometimes..don't have that prob with the QM.
So how is that QM working out for you now? It has been a while since you started this thread so you should have much info to share.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 09:26 AM
Account Disabled

Just took my quartrmaster out I hated it going back to exedy but this time well probably go with the exedy tripple
Old Oct 27, 2010, 03:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how much whp can the QM hold ?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 08:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
We have used them from 400whp to 1050whp. I wouldn't put it passed the quartermaster to hold anything you could possibly throw at it.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by maperformance
We have used them from 400whp to 1050whp. I wouldn't put it passed the quartermaster to hold anything you could possibly throw at it.
When is the revised QM being released?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Also for the old style (once it gets replaced by the revised ed.) you can take the clutch to a machine shop and have the hub assembly shaved down slightly for more life. Because when this clutch slips there is a ton of meat still left on the plates. There's a guy who did this to his and got another 10k+ out of it.. now I just have to find the thread.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by maperformance
I can't wait to get my QM
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:40 AM
Evolving Member

I have an Exedy Twin HD, and I like the feel of it, I haven't tried the QM but I figure don't change whats good, so I just had mine fully rebuilt so I will get to find out for the first time how many miles I will get out of it.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by awdwannabe
Also for the old style (once it gets replaced by the revised ed.) you can take the clutch to a machine shop and have the hub assembly shaved down slightly for more life. Because when this clutch slips there is a ton of meat still left on the plates. There's a guy who did this to his and got another 10k+ out of it.. now I just have to find the thread.
these two are pretty informative. now i just cant wait to see the results on the street. i've gone through two exedies, and my most recent one started slipping after 20,000 miles, and i was really excited to pick up the new version of this clutch. unfortunately due to budget constraints, I had to settle with a stocker for now. Once I up the snail, this clutch will be my first pick

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...hs-away-8.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...age-usage.html
Old Dec 4, 2011, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

I know this is an old thread but I'm in a situation where I would benefit from some imput. I'm at the 700+ hp mark and the current exedy hd push style ams clutch is now slipping. I could rebuild this clutch but is it worth it. I got roughly 13-15k out of the clutch. This would be the first rebuild on the pressure plate but the 3rd on my flywheel. Should I replace the flywheel or just resurface it. It is impossible to find any information on the internet about this subject.

Any help is appreciated.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by 97EclipseGSX
I know this is an old thread but I'm in a situation where I would benefit from some imput. I'm at the 700+ hp mark and the current exedy hd push style ams clutch is now slipping. I could rebuild this clutch but is it worth it. I got roughly 13-15k out of the clutch. This would be the first rebuild on the pressure plate but the 3rd on my flywheel. Should I replace the flywheel or just resurface it. It is impossible to find any information on the internet about this subject.

Any help is appreciated.

we're on the same boat man. I actually HAVE a QM Twin (old style) in my VIII and it's slipping. Not sure of the miles from the previous owner(s) but i know it needs a new one. I want to get a Exedy Twin but i'm not ready to kick out that money for it if i can rebuild what i have.

I'm still waiting on someon to drop in their Total mileage on their QM twin compared to the Exedy Twin. From what i've read the QM will hold all the power over the Exedy but since i have the QM already i figured the rebuild kit would do.

How I drive: No 1/8 or 1/4 Mile Tracks. No AutoX.
Mainly trips to and from georgia to n. carolina and florida.
Mods: Full ETS Kit (UICP, LICP & FMIC) HTA86r-kelford 272-JMF Drag IM-FB 70mm TB- Speed Density... ?

i just want it to last a while, maybe a few launches (10-15 a year?)
because if i don't get a twin disc, i'm just going to part out everything minus the head and go back to stock with a exedy stage 2.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Just rebuild what you have. If your going to opt for a Exedy Twin, I would reconsider this idea and go for a street version of the new QM 8-leg clutch. Drives AWESOME.

Quick Reply: Review: Went from Exedy Twin HD to Quartermaster Twin