Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Review: Went from Exedy Twin HD to Quartermaster Twin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by maperformance
..., I would reconsider this idea and go for a street version of the new QM 8-leg clutch. Drives AWESOME.
I love the design of this clutch, but, "Drives AWESOME" may depend on expectation and intended use. On the strip or circuit, I could see it being awesome. For pure holding power, its hard to beat for the price. In my experience, its a pretty typical twin for drivability on the street, i.e., noisy, rather on/off engagement, some chatter (on an '03 Evo 8 in very good condition). The one I drove probably had less than 500 miles on it (250 being on the highway), so maybe engagement improves with further break-in.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
A street version? Are you sure? The disc are much softer material than the race disc and the one I drove only made noise at idle. No decel noise, no bucking, and no mystery engagement points.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:40 PM
EvoM Guru

A street version? Are you sure? The disc are much softer material than the race disc and the one I drove only made noise at idle. No decel noise, no bucking, and no mystery engagement points.
ok, I'm confused now about the available models for this clutch. I always thought there were street, street/strip, and race versions until I talked to my buddy just before he bought his. He bought the clutch from you guys, and he says that you guys said there are only "street/strip" and "race" versions. He bought the street/strip.

The one I drove had typical multidisk decel and "clutch pedal pushed" noise. Didn't buck and had typical engagement point behavior for a stock rubber clutch line.

EDIT: droppinbottom (owner of the Evo with the clutch) made a few phone calls this morning, and he indeed has the street version.

Last edited by mrfred; Mar 13, 2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:17 PM
Former Sponsor

He got street/strip. So that is race disc and a street (heavier) flywheel. The one I recommended is street disc and street flywheel. Totally different disc.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:23 PM
EvoM Guru

He got street/strip. So that is race disc and a street (heavier) flywheel. The one I recommended is street disc and street flywheel. Totally different disc.
So there is a street version. Thanks. My comments above apply to the street/strip.

EDIT: Now confirmed that he has the street version, so my comments above about the clutch characteristics do inded apply to the street version.

EDIT: After a second call to QM by droppinbottom, it is indeed the street/strip.

Last edited by mrfred; Mar 13, 2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam, I am the one mrfred is refering to. As a reference you shiped my clutching to English Racing for me. Would you please give me a call so we can discuss. My understanding based on talking with you and from your website was there was only two versions of this clutch so if infact there is 3 versions and I got sold something that is not on your website I am rather dissapointed especially after we discussed in depth that I wanted this clutch to last and you told me this one should last close to 50k granted bases on driving habits.

Please get back to me.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:47 AM
EvoM Guru

Updated my posts above for clarification after droppinbottom called QM and MAP.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by droppinbottom
Adam, I am the one mrfred is refering to. As a reference you shiped my clutching to English Racing for me. Would you please give me a call so we can discuss. My understanding based on talking with you and from your website was there was only two versions of this clutch so if infact there is 3 versions and I got sold something that is not on your website I am rather dissapointed especially after we discussed in depth that I wanted this clutch to last and you told me this one should last close to 50k granted bases on driving habits.

Please get back to me.
You received the clutch that we discussed over the phone, it will last 40-50,000 miles.

Just because something isn't on our website means I sold you something wrong? I'm not understanding what your trying to say? You received exactly what we discussed.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please explain so we can clear the air about how many different versions of this clutch there is.
According to Jeff Weigert at Qm there is only two versions of this clutch available.

1. Street version that comes with a heavier flywheel and a cermatallic friction material for the discs.

2. Race version that comes with a lighter weight flywheel and organic friction material for the disks.

If you are aware of some other variation of this clutch please let us all know.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Its not something they offer off the shelf, but it can be assembled and I sell the most of this combo. The third, middle setup, would be race disc and street flywheel. Exactly what we discussed over the phone, a clutch that would hold your power potential and last the miles you wanted it to last.

It's not like I discussed one thing over the phone with you and shipped you something completely different. That is not how I work, I been doing this for 11 years now I wouldn't do something like that to sacrifice my good reputation..