Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Review: Went from Exedy Twin HD to Quartermaster Twin

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2009, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review: Went from Exedy Twin HD to Quartermaster Twin

It's been about a week and a half since we swapped over from an Exedy Twin HD pull-style setup to the Quartermaster 7.25 Twin disc push style one. All I can say is I can't believe I didn't do this months ago.

A little background history on my experiences with the Exedy twin hd. The clutch did great while my car was on a GT30 setup and roughly in the 450-500whp range. Daily driven was smooth and it held all the shifts. After undergoing a full 2.0 build and now being in the 600-700+ range I've had the TOB retaining clip pop out on me FOUR times. Each time it was in a 3rd to 4th gear shift. Huge letdowns each time followed by another tranny drop and clip replacement. Here's a quick shot of the last clip I tore apart..I should've kept all of them and taken one big group photo

After this last time enough was enough..after throwing around the idea of upgrading to a triple disc and converting it to a push style..I decided against it, Exedy had let me down enough..it was time for a change. Along came the quartermaster setup. After reading a few reviews on this setup here and on the dsm boards my interest steadily grew. The selling point for me was the great customer service from Adam over @ MAPerformance. He answered all my questions pertaining to this setup..such as rebuildability, reliability, driveability and whatever else ility's there are. I was torn between this or the Tilton twin cerametallic setup...after speaking with a few people with Quartermaster clutch experience...I went ahead and placed the order with MAPerformance.

With the Evo being my daily driver, I sprung for the 2 day shipping, Adam assured me it will arrive promptly...2 days later, UPS delivered my clutch setup from Quartermaster and Fedex dropped off the bolt kit for the hydraulic TOB and alignment tool from MAPerformance. A few hours later we had this bad boy installed.

Driveability with this setup gets two thumbs up, sure the engagement is a bit quick...but left foot discipline can easily keep it in check. The chatter is much less than the Exedy twin, the noise @ idle is negligeble. The clutch does make a small squeal when engaging, reminds me of my old 4-puck ACT in my Nissans, but it's no big deal at all. The ONLY quirk about the clutch that took me getting used to was the deceleration noise from the rear differential under low load in 3rd-4th gear. Mind you I have the Buschur Moustache bar and Buschur Side Diff mounts..so even with the Exedy I had this rumble under deceleration, but now it's a lot more present. We believe it has to do with the solid quartermaster discs not being as forgiving as the exedy's sprung discs.

I have this clutch mated to my Bushwacker tranny with Amsoil MTG oil, the shifts are smooth as butter once warmed up folks..I honestly couldn't be happier with this clutch. Now with no more clip to worry about, I can't wait to start racing again consistently.

Here are some pics I took...

Old setup

Here's one for the enemy

Jorge R.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Yep I agree 100% I also have the quartermaster twin and it couldn't be better. But the main selling point of the clutch is when it's time to rebuild, just contact MAP or Strictly Modified and I believe from them the cost is around 350ish for the ENTIRE rebuild kit.. that's including the two twin disks. Now compare that with the Exedy Twin price...
And for those reading other posts about this clutch being loud and obnoxious, my Exedy Stg.2 cerametallic was at least twice as loud and that was only a single disk. Do it right the first time, and save a ton of money later.
for a great clutch
Old Feb 26, 2009, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

I can't wait for my quartermaster
Old Feb 27, 2009, 04:10 AM
Evolving Member

awesome another happy customer that went from Exedy Twin HD to QM. Can anyone vouche for how many miles the average daily driver with occasional track user gets? All I hear is 10-15k and like 2 people that got over 20k and still going. I'm stuck b/w the 2 clutches. thanks !
Old Feb 27, 2009, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

i am so torn between the Exedy twin and the quatermaster twin....i know exedy is used by some of the biggest names in the market for racing and reading all these positive review about this clutch make me want to buy it for my new build. How much is this clutch BTW?
Old Feb 27, 2009, 01:30 PM

Rebuilt may be cheaper but it still cost 600-700 in labor for clutch job.

Like someone posted b4, I've heard only 12-15k miles out of this clutch. I don't really feel like doing a new clutch every year.

Anybody with some input on how long the clutch lasts??
Old Feb 27, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

iam also torn between this clutch kit and a tilton, i have a carbonetics twin carbon to carbon clutch its been holding fine but iam just about to finish my 2.0L build with new turbo setup and ect. ect. so i hope it will hold up for a while till i get a new clutch. My main thing with the quartermasters is everyone keeps saying it wears out quick on a dialy which my car is so i have to wait for more reviews on this clutch before i figure out what iam gonna do.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 01:54 PM
Former Vendor

You convinced me, I just wasnt really keen on using exedy. Thank you.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SickSilverNLow
i am so torn between the Exedy twin and the quatermaster twin....i know exedy is used by some of the biggest names in the market for racing and reading all these positive review about this clutch make me want to buy it for my new build. How much is this clutch BTW?
Clutch cost $1329 shipped from MAP..somewhere in that range. Price includes MAP's bolt kit for the Hydraulic TOB.

Originally Posted by Cali2MDevo8

Like someone posted b4, I've heard only 12-15k miles out of this clutch. I don't really feel like doing a new clutch every year.

Good thing we can do clutch jobs in about 2 1/2 hours now after all that Exedy clip popping experience. I've only had the clutch on the car for a short amount of time, so I can't comment on the longevity of it...but I honestly feel this clutch will easily hold up for a long time, daily driving or not. The meat on the sintored iron discs are much thicker than the cerametallic units from Exedy.

For anyone debating themselves on getting this setup, save yourself the headaches and go for it!
Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nissan2Evo
Clutch cost $1329 shipped from MAP..somewhere in that range. Price includes MAP's bolt kit for the Hydraulic TOB.
Thank you.....
Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Cali2MDevo8

You are in the same boat as me my friend.. You barely even see people get 12-15k out of them really.. I have a friend that has one with ~600awhp daily driven and already had to rebuild it after about 6k miles.. if that.. If my car was a dedicated track car, I would use this clutch in a heart beat because I wouldn't rack up the miles as quickly.. but I mean for daily use and the price it is for labor on a clutch job +rebuild kit.. Exedy is the way to go (if you use the push conversion from AMS) .. The Exedy Twin has bigger disks which equals more surface area.. and You see people all of the time with these clutches lasting a LONG time with daily driving..

I really wanted to give the QM a shot for my car, but I just can't afford to take the risk to be doing clutch jobs all of the time.. I really don't even think this clutch would last a year with just daily driving on a high horsepower car. but I'm just putting in my two cents..

Nissan- Keep us updated on this clutch.. Try to keep track of how many miles you put on it, including how many launches, regular driving miles, highway miles, etc.. It seems very ideal for you to have this clutch if you don't mind doing the labor to rebuild it a couple times a year.. but we will see
Old Mar 1, 2009, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice reveiw

I have been thinking about the Tilton cermam Twin. However I know of a few people to have them last only 3000 miles. I like the Carbon but that thing is the sameway

I dunno man, do you really think it will last that long? The Tilton dont last long and I am woundering if this will either. You cant go off of what someone says in terms of yeah it will last 12 to 15k. This clutch just aint been out long enought yet
Old Mar 2, 2009, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Not a problem, I constantly race my car....so I'll be able to provide feedback on this clutch for the other Daily driven street terrors out there. My hypothesis...the Quartmaster won't disappoint.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

how does it feel for daily driving compared to the exedy twin disc?
Old Mar 3, 2009, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

I have it too! Other than the squeaks and deceleration noise it's the best clutch I have ever had!

Quick Reply: Review: Went from Exedy Twin HD to Quartermaster Twin