Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Little. Blue. Different. CBRD BBK + MAP Port/coat

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2009, 08:01 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
OMG I have been out playing with my ecu controlled boost to try some new stuff out and flipped on the alky for a few pulls last night. My aquamist kit is acting up (it was off for a few months while I ran E85....E70 rather) and now when its cold (~10F or less) it doesn't flow as much as it should. When it warms up to the 60's (on dyno recently) it flows fine...not sure what the deal is but at 27psi, this turbo freaking RIPS!
Old Mar 3, 2009, 08:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Guerillah
That port work looks awesome. What kind of heat does that ceramic coating handle?
The black and blue turbo coatings are rated at 2000+ degrees Fahrenheit and can withstand direct flame. Good stuff. Now some of the other header coatings I have (red, orange, white, titanium, chrome) can't handle the turbo/nitrous temps.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bob@MAPerf
The black and blue turbo coatings are rated at 2000+ degrees Fahrenheit and can withstand direct flame. Good stuff. Now some of the other header coatings I have (red, orange, white, titanium, chrome) can't handle the turbo/nitrous temps.
Interested in pics of the other colors. That black looks amazing!!
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
OMG I have been out playing with my ecu controlled boost to try some new stuff out and flipped on the alky for a few pulls last night. My aquamist kit is acting up (it was off for a few months while I ran E85....E70 rather) and now when its cold (~10F or less) it doesn't flow as much as it should. When it warms up to the 60's (on dyno recently) it flows fine...not sure what the deal is but at 27psi, this turbo freaking RIPS!
Did you get a chance to log airflow? Do you use DLL for any power pulls/tuning?
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:54 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Creamo3
Did you get a chance to log airflow?
I've personally seen over 2200hz at 25psi
Old Mar 3, 2009, 11:23 AM
EvoM Moderator

Ya, I'm still dialing in the boost but here's a plot of a 3rd gear pull from this morning. Pump gas, shooting for about 24.5psi I'm hitting a peak of 2363hz @7835rpm. At 7000rpms, I'm pushing ~2150hz.

Old Mar 3, 2009, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Looks incredible!
Old Mar 5, 2009, 06:36 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So whats the difference between the BBK Lite and BBK Full. I understand CBRD ungrades copmponents on the turbine side for the full, but from the pics, they look the same.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 07:08 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chu
So whats the difference between the BBK Lite and BBK Full. I understand CBRD ungrades copmponents on the turbine side for the full, but from the pics, they look the same.
The Lite is ONLY a compressor upgrade.. i really recommend this for people on a tight budget and/or looking for quicker than stock-like spool.

The Full is compressor and new turbine/shaft...

The full allows for more timing, less fuel, more boost safely because of lessening the backpressure in the turbine...

cb

for 98% of our clients the Full is our recommendation.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

looks good man i talking to chad on friday to do the bbk full!!!
Old Mar 5, 2009, 08:44 AM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by CBRD
The Lite is ONLY a compressor upgrade.. i really recommend this for people on a tight budget and/or looking for quicker than stock-like spool.

The Full is compressor and new turbine/shaft...

The full allows for more timing, less fuel, more boost safely because of lessening the backpressure in the turbine...

cb

for 98% of our clients the Full is our recommendation.

Yea, I already upgraded from a 10.5 evo8 turbo to an IX turbo, so a 'small' upgrade was of no interest to me, especially since my motto in general has been 'do it once, do it right' and I knew a fully-upgraded stock-appearing turbo was what I wanted. Seeing the numbers out of the full and comparisons to the stock IX turbo, the choice was easy. I'm going to have to save up cash for the turbo anyways, might as well wait and get 100% what I want. I spent about $100 at my local mitsubishi dealership on all new gaskets and copper washers, and made plans in advance to do the porting and ceramic coating. Everything fell into place and I am 120% happy with my purchase!

I've put about 270 miles on the car (it is my daily driver) since putting the turbo in, and after getting boost dialed in, I have been having nothing but fun with it. It's natural to want to shift as power peaks and falls off. On the stock turbo it happens around 6000 and then shift at 7000. With the BBK, 7800rpms is there before you notice and its time to shift! I have GSC Beehive springs w/ kelford 272 cams and have an 8300rpm rev limit, but I try and shift before 8k to keep the bottom end happy for a long time to come.

Cruising and part throttle, the car actually feels more responsive than the stock turbo. I'm sure part of this is tuning, but the car def feels more torquey under daily non-WOT driving. At 70mph on the freeway, top gear, I can step on it and roll back the throttle a bit and get plenty of passing momentum, it is just so close to the stock turbo it is amazing.

Lastly, the week before I installed the BBK I had been taking care of my brother's dog, Mack. Mack is a pointer/lab mix and 80 pounds or so of spaz-tastic energy bursts. I strained my shoulder/neck a little in the mix of things, and then doing a turbo install, my neck was less than happy but I wasn't really in pain. Well, the BBK did NOT help things, my neck felt WAY worse monday and tuesday....ironically i was doing pull after pull after pull doing street tuning Weds was bad and today I've been taking it easy and it finally is starting to feel better. So yea, hang on tight, cause this turbo means business!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 08:43 PM

Damn, I'm set on getting an FP Red but hearing this good reviews for BBK Full makes me think twice. I got a 500 whp 50trim turbo, full boost at around 4200 rpm and I want some midrange power. I don't care if I only make 400whp, I normally shift around 3500-4000 rpm max anyway. Yes, I drive like a grandama on the street but I do AutoX and Circuit Racing with my BMW 335I.

Very good review... Will have to wait and do some more research with these turbos.

Last edited by vailvon; Mar 25, 2009 at 04:47 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 09:14 PM
EvoM Moderator

Sounds like this turbo is for you then

Update, I hit the dyno. Unfortunately I'm not near the numbers I expected; fortunately, I hit the dyno just before installing the BBK for a baseline, and I'm up 50whp from my stock IX turbo. Unfortunately during the baseline I was down 60whp from the last time I was on this dyno, so I am at a bit of a dejected spot right now. The car is still fun as hell though, and with the alky on its never felt like it does now. At 7500rpms I'm up about 85whp.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by scheides; Mar 24, 2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
We'll find the issues so you can be back to making glorious power

BBK > RED
Old Mar 25, 2009, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Wow that port job looks flawless. I may have to send him mine when I go this route. Nice to see another happy BBK owner as I plan to do this over the summer on my MR.

Quick Reply: Little. Blue. Different. CBRD BBK + MAP Port/coat