Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

ACT XTSS Review

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2010, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo9tunerz
I currently have the ACT HDSS in my car for about 20k miles now. It still holds fine to all the abuse I put it through and all the 30+ launches at the drag strip. A lot of people have lock out issues with ACT, but I have not had any at all. As long as you install the clutch correctly and adjust the clutch pedal there will be no lock out issues. Thanks ACT for making the best bang for the buck clutch!
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
I've had the HDSS (stock flywheel) in my car for like 5k now. Initially it grabbed HARD. When I pulled it out of the parking lot the first time I stalled, and then spun all 4s. LOL. Pedal pressure was always stock. Eventually it settled down to feeling EXACTLY like stock. I mean sometimes I hear the throw out bearing (I used the ACT supplied one) but otherwise its a pretty stock feeling clutch. I will say though that you need to adjust the clutch pedal more often. Mine engagement point keeps moving closer to the floor all the time so I adjust it up. Otherwise I get high rpm lockout and hard-shifting between the lower gears.

Nice to see the OP went 90k on his clutch. Guess I don't have to worry about putting 12 launches on it at the drag strip and another 10 on the street. Next summer I'm gonna throw more than stock power at it and see how it handles.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deeman101
I've had the HDSS (stock flywheel) in my car for like 5k now. Initially it grabbed HARD. When I pulled it out of the parking lot the first time I stalled, and then spun all 4s. LOL. Pedal pressure was always stock. Eventually it settled down to feeling EXACTLY like stock. I mean sometimes I hear the throw out bearing (I used the ACT supplied one) but otherwise its a pretty stock feeling clutch. I will say though that you need to adjust the clutch pedal more often. Mine engagement point keeps moving closer to the floor all the time so I adjust it up. Otherwise I get high rpm lockout and hard-shifting between the lower gears.

Nice to see the OP went 90k on his clutch. Guess I don't have to worry about putting 12 launches on it at the drag strip and another 10 on the street. Next summer I'm gonna throw more than stock power at it and see how it handles.
FYI, always use the OEM TOB. The act supplied unit is rubbish and is noisey. Next time get the XTSS, I cannot imagine life without it.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I have the XTSS for a year now and so far no lock out issues and is a good clutch, but for next time I will go with exedy twin disk. This ACT clutch is great and it handles power but I do not like the feel of the pedal, you get used to it but you have to relearn how to drive the car again because this presure plate is very hard on the car and the car kicks you. I got the ACT flyweel as well, so think about it this clutch go for like 600 + 300 for flyweel versus exedy twin that comes with a flyweel for like $1,400, like they say, you get what you pay for.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

The Exedy twin will last for maybe half as long if you are lucky. So much friction and slipping in the name of smooth engagement + the fact that since there are 2 disks they have to be that much smaller (Less material in exchange for more surface area) and they ware much faster.

Clutch jobs stink because of the cost of the labor and then the twin disk it'll be a shame to have to do it again in 30K (if you are lucky) as opposed to 100K+ for the act unit. I have yet to ware out an ACT unit, I always sold the car before it died.

Yes the XTSS is heavier but I do not think it is that bad. I can slip it easily, park, creep around. If you dump it then YES you will shock the hell out of the tranny for sure. You need to be careful as that thing is a bear trap.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:49 PM

Same impression here...

harder pedal feel than stock, but you get used to it. Same setup as OP, DD it and going strong after one and a half years and 20,000 miles.

Satisfied user here
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 7EVO7
harder pedal feel than stock, but you get used to it. Same setup as OP, DD it and going strong after one and a half years and 20,000 miles.

Satisfied user here
How much harder the pedal feel was? I would probably get a ACT but still thinking of HDSS or XTSS, my goal is around 400whp on mustang dyno.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JGUEVO
How much harder the pedal feel was? I would probably get a ACT but still thinking of HDSS or XTSS, my goal is around 400whp on mustang dyno.
Don't even bother with the HDSS, XTSS is what you need. The torque rating is 560 Foot Pounds and you have a slightly heavier pedal feel. It feels VERY hard at 1st but once you get it broken it is as easy to modulate as stock and it'll hold anything you can throw at it.

You could try a six Puck unit if you want serious drag racing power and I had one in my DSM. Noisy as fawk and chattered but I could drive it very easily for some reason.

XTSS, stock flywheel, upgrade your clutch line, use the OEM Throw out Bearing and throw out the ACT junk unit, and bleed it properly.

Done.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by High_PSI
... It feels VERY hard at 1st but once you get it broken it is as easy to modulate as stock and it'll hold anything you can throw at it...

completely agree
Old Oct 14, 2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by High_PSI
Don't even bother with the HDSS, XTSS is what you need. The torque rating is 560 Foot Pounds and you have a slightly heavier pedal feel. It feels VERY hard at 1st but once you get it broken it is as easy to modulate as stock and it'll hold anything you can throw at it.

You could try a six Puck unit if you want serious drag racing power and I had one in my DSM. Noisy as fawk and chattered but I could drive it very easily for some reason.

XTSS, stock flywheel, upgrade your clutch line, use the OEM Throw out Bearing and throw out the ACT junk unit, and bleed it properly.

Done.
Thanks for the reply, but why dont we use ACT streetlite or prolite flywheel?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just got the XTSS and Streetlite Flywheel installed today and my initial impressions are very good. Pedal feel is actually not bad at all IMO, and it feels a lot lighter than the Exedy Stage 2(Not twin disk) that was in the car when I first bought it. I'm not sure why but the Exedy I had was garbage from the get go. Heavy pedal feel, lockout above 7500, and according to the guy I bought it from it looks like it only lasted about 15K or 20K before it started slipping real bad a month or so ago. I'm not sure how many times the previous owner launched it but I only launched it about 7 or 8 times and now the thing is toast. Can't wait until I get the ACT broke in and can really get on it!!!
Old Oct 15, 2010, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JGUEVO
Thanks for the reply, but why dont we use ACT streetlite or prolite flywheel?
You loose speed and revs faster. Under power the motor will bounce around a little more as you have less momentum keep the motor running. In Rally that actually bolt on a heavier unit. You can try it but I would recommend against it. Easier to stall the car, somewhat harder to launch as the revs will fall to fast under load.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 03:53 PM

Sounds like a good unit. Just curious did you reuse the tob on the car or buy a new oem one?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

High PSI, I am looking to get the ACT clutch but mostly likely the HDSS, I don't plan on spending $1600 for a clutch. I'd like to keep the stock fly wheel, do I have to resurface it before putting it in? thanks!
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fugiwara
High PSI, I am looking to get the ACT clutch but mostly likely the HDSS, I don't plan on spending $1600 for a clutch. I'd like to keep the stock fly wheel, do I have to resurface it before putting it in? thanks!
I know you didn't ask me but I'll answer anyway. Yes, typically you should either resurface the flywheel or install a new one when changing the clutch.

Quick Reply: ACT XTSS Review