Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Sparktech Coil On Plug Non CDI Review

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sparktech Coil On Plug Non CDI Review

Just a brief review of the Spark Tech COP Non CDI Ignition System on my stock ECU Evo IX.

Ignition is located here:

http://www.sparktechignitions.net/st...products_id=50

I have been looking for an ignition upgrade for some time as I have made changes/upgrades to my power output levels. I am looking to hit 550/500 on my current setup and wanted to ensure that ignition issues would not hinder me as they have in the past. After a significant amount of research, I decided on the Spark Tech

1. After I made the purchase online, I received consistent communication during the process along with an estimate of when it would be completed and shipped.
2. When I made the purchase online, I assumed that I would receive it before my retune that was the following week. After making the purchase, I received an email regarding the time frame expectations and realized that my assumptions were incorrect and that it would take a few days to buld the system before shipping. Though I was disappointed, it was my fault for not calling or PM’ing them to ensure that my assumptions were correct.
3. To my surprise, I received notification only two days later that the product was built and shipped…YES, a company that under-promised and over-delivered!
4. Product arrived the day of my tune so I raced from my office, where I had it delivered, and took it to the shop…just in time. Item was installed in minutes, and the tune commenced shortly after. Install is a breeze. On a scale of 1-10 this install is a 1…No Joke! Total plug and play.
5. My tuner had never worked with one before and was very skeptical that an aftermarket ignition was worth $650 on a stock ECU/Block. He said I was going to the “East Coast” side J After the tune, he was convinced! He indicated that his experience with other Aftermarket units had been poor at best and that this unit simply performed…In the short time he got to work with it, he loved it.
6. At 25psi on the mods below (The integrated MAP O2/DP was an Invidia O2/Skunk2 DP Combo at tune time) we were able to extract 501whp/403ftlbs. Pretty impressive to get 500whp on an FP Red at only 25psi on E-85
7. So far, the car has driven flawlessy without issue. No misses, runs like a champ through 8k rpm, idles like a dream despite having the 280/272 combo, and is about to go in for a new tune with a double pumper/Integrated O2/DP combo, and 30-31psi. I have no doubt that the ignition will continue to impress!
8. Lastly, and this may not matter to anyone, if I hear one more person look under my engine bay and say that the Ignition looks like “sex” I may kill myself. It is a clean little unit that adds a little powdercoated sex appeal to the engine bay.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the unit and the people at Spark Tech were friendly and helpful. The company and the product delivered equal to or better than promised and they have even followed up to ensure that things went as expected. I highly recommend this product or others from Spark Tech to anyone in the market for Ignition upgrade products. Spark Tech has earned my business and loyalty

Thank you
Sean
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

Nice numbers. Could we get a teaser of the setup? What plugs are you running & what gap? Can't wait for the retune.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:26 PM

nice... i'm considering this unit myself
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice!!! ST FTW!!!! By FAR the BEST system out there for stock ecu under 600awhp! I am going with the PRO unit soon, can't wait!!!! Lets see some pix of that beauty!
Old Mar 25, 2009, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Ill get some pics posted today

Thanks guys
Old Mar 25, 2009, 08:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the Great Review Sean. We appreciate you taking the time to do this.

We're Glad your Happy with your purchase. Keep us posted on the next dyno trip
Old Mar 25, 2009, 08:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sinpul
Nice numbers. Could we get a teaser of the setup? What plugs are you running & what gap? Can't wait for the retune.
How is your Non-cdi Performing? Any updates...dyno runs?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sspaladin28
Ill get some pics posted today

Thanks guys
Looking forward to them bro!
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Update - Car will be back for retune next week with the following changes:

1. Buschur Double Pumper
2. MAP Integrated O2 Housing - Downpipe in place of Ported Invidia O2/Skunk2 DP Combo
3. Upgraded Rod Bolts

I will also be getting a 91 map for those of you wondering what this would do on the best fuel on the planet Until my Meth kit comes in, I need a 91 map to get me back and forth to long distance track events. Not enough E85 in Cali and carrying 40 gallons worth of containers in the car is just not reasonable.
Sean

Last edited by sspaladin28; Mar 25, 2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sparktech is the S**t. Craig and everyone from SparkTech are awesome.

I should be gettin my setup soon enough.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:48 AM
Former Sponsor

^Let us know whenever your ready we'll take care of ya.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SparkTech
How is your Non-cdi Performing? Any updates...dyno runs?
Running flawlessly! Unfortunately I been too lazy with the mods, just got done with milspec tb put in and now I cant get my lazy butt up to install intake mani. Looking for around 450+hp with E85 on 30psi. Sorry for the off topic!
Old Mar 25, 2009, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Question asked and answered...no worries about off topic
Old Mar 26, 2009, 08:55 PM
Former Sponsor

sinpul Great to hear...Keep us posted on the next round of mods or dyno results.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 07:59 AM
Former Sponsor

sspaladin28...where are the pics

Quick Reply: Sparktech Coil On Plug Non CDI Review