Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Initial Impressions and review- Tuning by Sean Ivey- turbokit by Full Race TS BW S300

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2009 | 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Initial Impressions and review- Tuning by Sean Ivey- turbokit by Full Race TS BW S300

for starters its an 06 Evo MR, stock clutch, stock ignition and the usual bolt ons
the Full Race TS BW S300 83/75 1.00 AR
an absolute work of art. it looked like it would never fit but it does
the BW is huge, slightly larger than a 35R and its just physically large.
initial dynos were 425/352 with more room to go, limited by the not so happy oem clutch and that was stock ignition also, we ran on wastegate pressure...we had 1.2 bar springs which was supposed to be 17.xxx psi but it amounted to anywhere from 23.5psi when hot to 26 cold...on the street it hits 26.9 psi, so im a bit confused why an 18psi spring makes minimum 23.5 psi on a twin scroll
I am removing one of the two springs in there tomorrow...problem solved!

Soon will be tested the HKS DLI2 and possibly the sparktech non cdi cop setup

Sean Ivey, what can i say his tuning skills are amazing...he is the man, excellent service also...He took his time to get the tune perfect so it has an almost stone flat AF curve and no knock....absolutley perfect. Ecutek was used along with 1000cc injectors and it idles and starts like stock...i do apologize for flooding the shop with gas fumes when the 1000s went in...i did have a headache from it...Everyone should get tuned by him...be it stock modded or whatever. he knows what he is doing and he tell you what he is doing...

driveability is good, granted its larger a bit of lag is expected but no kiddding it makes boost around 4000 rpm and hits like a hammer shortly thereafter...as soon as i get all the needed parts to log on evoscan i will post the logs. 1st gear doesnt exist as it just rips it up.

peak torque is at 5000 rpms almost on the dot
peak hp is at about 7000 and levels off
the 200 hp level is hit at about 4200 rpms
Sean said knock was non existent
and it was all on exxon 93
i will try Shell next since i saw a 20 hp gain on a car without any changes other than gas

Full Race - Amazing service and I had about 400 million questions and emails and texts before i dropped the hammer and ordered the kit. thanks and mad props to Geoff for the late night texts about this and that, Eric for dealing with my IMs and the mad scientists at Full-Race

looks like artwork and its heavy as hell, dont drop it on your foot or you will be visiting me in the ER...everything needed was in the boxes i got
install as with all kits had its quirks but were solved

The car is amazing and almost sickening when it spools, Im not knocking anyone but a few 35R cars ive been in and driven just feel really soft until well over 5500 rpms...I think this turbo system will do just fine in a roadrace situation and possibly autocross, its that good, loud but good when the twin 44mm gates crack open!!!!

as stated before its only the initial tune to get the bugs out.
future mods as time permits are the exedy twin disc which i have,
the hks dli2 , COP ignition, HKS VPro...and whatever else the future brings
Im also looking to test the S200 with the 1.10AR for even faster spool and more under the curve power...

disclaimer
I do not work for Sean Ivey or Full Race...I just picked out the products and services I felt are the best for my needs...I dont drag race it so i will never know what it does in the 1/4 so please dont ask...im not concerned with the BIG number as it means squat on the road course...I love a big fat midrange and fast response which this kit gave

I shouldnt have waited so long to do it
Now i need to get my butt in gear to get the clutch done so we can really see what this puppy will do
Thanks for your time

Discuss!!!

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._8104067_n.jpg

Last edited by 555R; Apr 16, 2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2009 | 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Nice review man, I haven't heard a lot about this turbo. I guess it's one of the few larger frame twin scroll turbo options out there?

Most of the full race products I have seen can be described as works of art. Glad to hear that you are enjoying it.
Old Apr 16, 2009 | 09:59 AM
Evolving Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Good info
Old Apr 16, 2009 | 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

dyno sheet posted
Old Apr 16, 2009 | 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Have fun with that! Oh and I wonder how long the stock clutch will last?
Old Apr 16, 2009 | 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

No idea on the clutch. I do have a twindisk in the garage just no time to put it in. Mind you it's only been running 5 days
Old Apr 16, 2009 | 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

nice write up,, ivey tune is awsome
Old Apr 16, 2009 | 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

nice job. i hope more people start using the BW turbos
Old Apr 17, 2009 | 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

im also planning to test out the S200 which is a T4 based GT30 size turbo from Borg Warner...from what im told it looks weird since the hotside it huge compared to the compressor...
quickie update also
HKS DLi II and AEM wideband is now in so I can do more logging and its smoother and alot more crisp in throttle response and its not as rough when its cold...still on the old 15k miles spark plugs too and oem clutch...havent had a chance to get it done
oh yeah bye bye Colbalt, Neon, older Z06

I didnt mention that Im running HKS 272s, while not being a big cam per se but it adds a huge bump to the midrange as proven by a friend doing back to back cam tests on the same car...the midrange is absolutly sickening for this turbo size

Full-Race FTW!!!
Old Apr 17, 2009 | 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice spool on a 2.0 with a turbo that size. I have dealt with Eric, and he is top notch, and will answer any questions you could ever have. Congrats on your choice....looks like it must be a blast to drive.
Old Apr 21, 2009 | 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

ivey is the man! and nice #s btw
Old Apr 22, 2009 | 06:35 PM
Account Disabled

great to hear you are so happy with the setup im updating the info on the borgwarner airwerks 75-70 turbo and will have some detailed pics online in the next 2 days, ill post them up here for you to see if you want to check it out. it looks like this turbo could work exceptionally well for auto-x and small road course stuff
Old Apr 27, 2009 | 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

post the S200 A I havent made a decision to get one yet or not, Its not like it would be tough to switch them over
Old Apr 28, 2009 | 06:12 PM
Account Disabled

Old Apr 28, 2009 | 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

hmmm eric said it would look really weird, the compressor looks smaller than the hot side...Im kinda liking the barely fits in there turbo i have...which other hotside is that in the pic?

Quick Reply: Initial Impressions and review- Tuning by Sean Ivey- turbokit by Full Race TS BW S300