Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

MELLON does it again! Round 2...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow 28psi on pump gas? also I am suprised to see that the Green spools up the same as a stock IX turbo. I was expecting more lag, about 300-500 rpms later spoolup.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^

thats a mellon toon for you...
Old Apr 21, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ninekrevs
wow 28psi on pump gas? also I am suprised to see that the Green spools up the same as a stock IX turbo. I was expecting more lag, about 300-500 rpms later spoolup.
well, it wasn't like that in the beginning, lol... it took several revisions/logs etc... Chris is pretty thorough and the final tune you see here took some time.
I was actually surprised w/ the spool as well and the increase in useable midrange the most. Even partial throttle feel has improved dramatically. I thought it was going to be a peaky powerband turbo, but after Chris was done its more like a beefy midrange powerband but w/ decent top end. I think this is a perfect road racing turbo... but im gonna beat the hell out of it at the 1/4 mile dragstrip, lol...
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

INCREDIBLE!!!! We finished dynoing the car at Turbochargers.com's Mustang Dyno today around 6:00pm. When i was stock turbo w/ intake/exhaust i laid down a best of 340whp/325tq. Running low 12s at 114mph. I decided to use the same dyno for comparison sake. We strapped the car down. Calibrated and pulled up the previous file. Then setup for the new pulls. Here are the details... (i will post the actual dyno sheets on monday when i have access to a scanner at work)

pull#1 : 392whp / 412tq
pull#2: 401whp / 422tq <---!!!!!
pull#3: 394whp / 410tq

I eclipsed my 400whp goal! The 2nd pull ended up getting a bit more boost it seemed from the EVC and there was a power spike which netted the additional power. Again, this was done on 93 octane pumpgas w/ Chris' MELLON TUNE (mail in). We had a long list of revisions to get this right but it paid off in the end! Boost at 27-28psi spike then tapering.
Again, ill post the plots on monday here and also on some houston local forums =)
It rained out so we couldnt hit the track... but hopefully i'll nab that elusive 11sec timeslip!

-Tom
Old Apr 25, 2009, 06:18 AM
Account Disabled

yay, that's great Tom anytime you can match tq/hp it makes for a really fun car. You ought to put a thread in the dyno results section and include the DLL data for comparison. So when are we going to see that 11 second slip ?
Old Apr 25, 2009, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah once i get to the office monday i'll scan the dyno graphs and will put a thread together along w the DLL. DLL definately on the conservative side which is good. WHP was relatively close. Just the torque was off. I MIGHT try to hit the track on Sunday weather permitting... its been raining in Houston... sucks.

-Tom
Old Apr 26, 2009, 06:59 AM
Account Disabled

cool, yeah I use some conservative settings in DLL, I'd rather give those numbers than an ego inflating number that gets your butt whooped by someone that really has that power.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sup mellon what happened to you i guess work has you closed for business when you get a chance answer my email
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Dyno Plot from Mustang Dyno at Turbochargers.com attached as promised!

-Tom
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
04-27-2009.pdf (28.9 KB, 0 views)
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Noice!!!
Old Apr 29, 2009, 06:27 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by RockmanX
sup mellon what happened to you i guess work has you closed for business when you get a chance answer my email
I don't have an e-mail from you...send it again plz
Old Apr 29, 2009, 06:30 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by TakaseEVOIXSE
Dyno Plot from Mustang Dyno at Turbochargers.com attached as promised!

-Tom
sweet
Old Apr 29, 2009, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
werid i was wondering because i sent that email like last week with a update i was like guezzz the hate he must have for me now. No reason at all lol. almost done exteriorwize. rocking the wingless look hate it next week ill get my apr spoiler then hopifully get my garage splitter and cf hood this month and back on engine bay. Need to talk to you about that new red as well man if i should sell mine and get the new one or keep the one i have since i still have not even installed it. email sent out again to your comcast account

Last edited by RockmanX; Apr 29, 2009 at 06:38 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 06:40 AM
Account Disabled

ok, that's my old email account I'll send you the new one when I reply, I still get e-mail there at the comcast but I'm going to keep it to personal stuff going forward.
Old May 5, 2009, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

well, i just have THE worst luck, lol... we finally get to the track when its not raining etc... and i make my first pass. 1.78 60ft... (no hopping thx to my new mounts!) hooks awesome w/ a lil' rear slide but not bad... go into 2nd and it pulls nicely. break the 1/8 mile in high 7s at 92mph... then all the sudden boost drops like mad w/ each shift. 4th is dying... 5th is dying.. im like WTF!!... take another pass and it gets worse... and worse. Check hoses all look fine. But dont have any tools w/ me anyways. Logs look ok, no knock. But peak hold shows poor boost. Don't reach anywhere near my tuned 28psi. Get home... and for a couple days thinking its my boost controller etc... get an MBC to fix it. Same issue. THEN last night i decided to inspect things closely... and woolah... find all this black crap all over the#1 cylinder runner and near the flange. Im like ok... whats this? lol... turn my shop light on it, and there is a HUGE crack on my manifold going all the way around the weld!!! And i thought these GTSpec manifolds were good! So NOW i have to yank it all off and either go get it fixed at my friends shop who tig welds... or buy something better or get one fabbed. This is so freakin annoying! 11sec timeslip was sooooo close, wth....

-Tom

Quick Reply: MELLON does it again! Round 2...