Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

MAP SST (Sleeper Series Turbo) Installed and tested

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maperformance
Stock EVO IX
E85
Boost controlled through ecu, via Mac Valve
Kelford 272s (No power gains for the IX)
Crush bent catback
HKS downpipe
MAPerformance O2 housing Dump
MAP SST
That graph doesn't state whether that is uncorrected, STD or SAE. Please clarify.

If that is SAE then those are impressive numbers. Peak torque by 4000 and >400whp at 7500.

Also, not trying to perpetuate the bickering going in this thread but the way you typed the mod list makes it seem like you are making excuses claiming that cams make no difference in power and that he is running a crush bent catback(which seems crazy since that would have to be custom ($) and you can get mass produced exhausts for our cars for $200). I've never heard/seen a crushbent 3" exhaust on a newer car, let alone an evo... Curious to hear more.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Ask Christopher Kauffman, his screename on here is STSsweeper. He has a crush bent exhaust from a local exhaust shop in Texas from the previous owner. Crush bent can be done for next to nothing lol. Its not an excuse its proven that the Kelford IX cams hardly make any power. Look at schiedes car, I think he picked up 2 whp across the power band.

We have a EVO 8 on the dyno right now getting pump gas tune done, we will have results for the pumper's out there!
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:57 PM
Former Sponsor

STD Correction.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Do you have a graph with the boost curve?
Old Aug 13, 2009, 01:52 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Stock FMIC & LICP? Unported exhaust manifold? Easily holding back 25whp with those alone. Weird that it peaks so early though, like the turbo is just out of steam past 6000rpm.

Thanks for the results! Looks like a decent turbo for the money!
Old Aug 13, 2009, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Its not an excuse its proven that the Kelford IX cams hardly make any power. Look at schiedes car, I think he picked up 2 whp across the power band.
Whoa, what? Scheides has an VIII... Are you thinking of Zac?
Old Aug 13, 2009, 01:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
Stock FMIC & LICP? Unported exhaust manifold? Easily holding back 25whp with those alone. Weird that it peaks so early though, like the turbo is just out of steam past 6000rpm.

Thanks for the results! Looks like a decent turbo for the money!
I was thinking the same thing about the power peaking at such an early rpm. The story might change with a better cat-back and perhaps with other breathing improvements like what you suggested.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 01:56 PM
EvoM Moderator

Ask Christopher Kauffman, his screename on here is STSsweeper. He has a crush bent exhaust from a local exhaust shop in Texas from the previous owner. Crush bent can be done for next to nothing lol. Its not an excuse its proven that the Kelford IX cams hardly make any power. Look at schiedes car, I think he picked up 2 whp across the power band.

We have a EVO 8 on the dyno right now getting pump gas tune done, we will have results for the pumper's out there!
My car is a VIII and I had other issues holding back power when after I put those in. I never got a true back-to-back comparo vs my hks 280's but from the looks of it they sacrifice a few hundred rpm of spool for better holding power up top (after peak whp) on the stock turbo.

IMHO Kelford 272 cams for the IX are not the best.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by S2kracka
Oh yea lol. It was one of you EVO guys. Only ones I can't get mixed up is YOU! lol.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Oh yea lol. It was one of you EVO guys. Only ones I can't get mixed up is YOU! lol.
Because I have the manly FP4R's?
Old Aug 13, 2009, 01:57 PM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by S2kracka
Yea, Zacs car has all the basics on a stock IX and swapping in kelfords didn't do hardly anything for him except make his idle sound cool
Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Boost curve is on the bottom of the graph.

-Adam

Last edited by maperformance; Aug 13, 2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:12 PM
Former Sponsor

I want to get Zac to race my car this weekend.

-Adam

Last edited by maperformance; Aug 13, 2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:14 PM
EvoM Moderator

I think there's some mis-information concerning the mod list posted. Just kinda reading between the lines here.

This guy:

Originally Posted by StreetSweeperIX
MAP SST Turbo Review

Case #5: 2006 Evo IX MR
Purpose:
First of all like to thank MAPerformance for letting me test this turbo, the guys at MKC performance for doing the turbo install and Chad for the dyno tuning. This car is my daily driver, the car is built for street fighting, time attack, and quarter mile runs. All the modifications chosen are meant to withstand the daily abuse thrown at it like walking on liter bikes from a dig or a 60 roll, or just simply going to work. I have been waiting to add a “stock looking” turbo to complete the street build and patience paid off as Adam at MAP suggested this turbo for my set up.

Modifications:
Stock: block, ECU, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, ignition, O2 housing (until Friday).
Not so stock: Kelford 272’s, BC springs and retainers, AEM intake pipe, ETS short route UICP, ETS LICP, HKS JDM Carbon Ti turbo back exhaust, HKS Bov, PTE 1200cc injectors, Walbro 255 in-tank feeding a Bosch 044 in-line, MAP fuel pressure regulator kit with Fuel Lab regulator, AMS fuel rail, AMS 3.5 FMIC, AMS steel-braided clutch lines, AMS shifter bushings, Exedy twin-disc, Avid’s 4 piece full motor mount set, and my MAP SST turbo!!
Fuel: I love E85 and so does my Evo
Tune: “Dyno-tuned” by Chad Charlton @ Modified by KC (mkcperformance.com) on a dynojet.
Originally Posted by StreetSweeperIX

Then came to MAP, had o2 elim dump installed and re-tuned:

Stock EVO IX
E85
Boost controlled through ecu, via Mac Valve
Kelford 272s (No power gains for the IX)
Crush bent catback
HKS downpipe
MAPerformance O2 housing Dump
MAP SST
Ask Christopher Kauffman, his screename on here is STSsweeper. He has a crush bent exhaust from ...
Is the same guy? I see a Ti JDM-esque catback, not a crush-bent catback and osme other parts not in this second list...just trying to clarify, sorry.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:29 PM
Former Sponsor

I installed the o2 dump. The exhaust was not a HKS JDM Ti-Tip at all. I made the list really fast, the common upgrades were all on the car, but it was definately not a HKS exhaust and the rear section was all crushed bent.

No ported manifold, and before the car came in it was on stock o2 housing.

Quick Reply: MAP SST (Sleeper Series Turbo) Installed and tested