Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

MAP SST (Sleeper Series Turbo) Installed and tested

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2009 | 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drb
So by Tuesday you should have it installed, tuned, and be posting dyno graphs of 93 octane, E85, & Q16 results at several different boost levels - LOL!

Dan (drb)
lol. dont forget ported mani... both intake and exhaust. He also has to go to a mustang for those who love low numbers and a dynojet for those who want high numbers. but wait!!!... you have to do it on a really hot day for the peeps in the south and then do one on a really cold day for those up north and on and on and on.......... just get a good tune and hit the track! 1/4 traps, now thats what i want to know.
Old Aug 17, 2009 | 09:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by scheides
FYI, we have seen a pretty consistent 15-18% difference coming from DB Performance's dyno dynamics. Where's that pump gas dyno plot? Do you have a snail-mail network connection to your dynojet computer or what?

Nope, Everyone was in New Jersey this weekend.
Old Aug 17, 2009 | 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
So to clarify this a bit more... this was the same guy that posted a dyno graph before, drove to MAP and had a new O2 downpipe installed and retuned...the First graph shows the SST at 34 psi vs the Stock IX at 30 psi. The second graph shows the SST at 30 psi.

Before

After
Originally Posted by maperformance
Our dynojet actually doesn't read that high. 450's on our dyno read about 430's on a local Mustang dyno. I few customers have told me this now!
This thread is FULL of confusion!! First you are crazy if you think your DJ only reads 20hp below a MD! Especially at 450 range.the more power the further the seperation. It seems fishy too me. In the dyno graph you posted, you stated he had way less mods then the guy said he had. Also stated negative comments about the parts he has.Seems as though you are implying his car had insufficent quality and another would have done more power. Then the same guy posted his dyno graph i guess it was before he put your map dp/o2 on and he made less power? What does that say about your DP? I dont understand. When you say you have a car on the dyno "right now" and then fail to post or even state the results for a week or so that says to me your hiding something. If the numbers are low then still post tem and go back to the drawing board. Thats what we are here for to see if this thing delivers. I have still yet to see this EVO 8 on pump numbers you said was on the dyno? Whats going on??
Old Aug 17, 2009 | 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

^^^ they have definately contradicted themselves many times and have not clarified when someone asks about it. to me this info is worth nothing

jeff
Old Aug 17, 2009 | 10:42 AM
Former Sponsor

We posted why they haven't been posted. Customer is getting a new wastegate actuator as it won't let us make more boost.

His mods were cleared up a couple post back. He also replied since I posted his mod list to clear everything up.

Above dyno graphs are e85, just so there is no confusion on that. Once he installs his actuator he will be re-dyno'ing with more boost and he should get the results up.

The pump gas dyno graphs will be up later today/tomorrow once everyone gets back from New Jersey's Showdown.

I also didn't say ours read lower, I said ours does read higher but not as high as we all expected. A Few customers said they dyno'd on local MD's and that was there differences. I just am going by what they said.

Also, the baseline of the car above was lower on our dyno than the dynojet he was on for the first graph.
Old Aug 17, 2009 | 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

THIS thread is turning me off to this turbo BIG TIME. 450HP@34 PSI does not impress me....the price is good but i shouldnt have to run 40 PSI to make power.Most people interested in this turbo are still on the stock block

and forget about DYNO numbers and BS...lets get some more track times/trap speeds....i havent given up on you guys yet
Old Aug 17, 2009 | 10:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SOEuro
THIS thread is turning me off to this turbo BIG TIME. 450HP@34 PSI does not impress me....the price is good but i shouldnt have to run 40 PSI to make power.Most people interested in this turbo are still on the stock block

and forget about DYNO numbers and BS...lets get some more track times/trap speeds....i havent given up on you guys yet
It was at 29psi. They were going by the Defi gauge which proved to be incorrect when comparing to our dynojet's 5 Bar Map.
Old Aug 17, 2009 | 12:25 PM
Former Sponsor

As Adam stated above the E85 car made 45Xwhp at ~30psi, the customer was going by his Defi gauge which was verified to be very far off from actual boost pressure, see the graph above. What I think you guys are missing is that there are currently only about 7 of these turbos floating around out there, and we have no control over when they get it installed / tuned / post results, etc. And we definitely don't have enough out there to satisfy everyone's desires for different fuels and boost levels. We just got back from e-Town thus the delay in the pump gas dyno graph which happened the day we left, it will be up soon. Can you cut us a break? lol
Old Aug 17, 2009 | 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
I hope everyone here understands that it is very hard for us to respond to these questions without compromising information that could potentially be used by our competition. This turbo was developed via sources in the USA as well as overseas with a focus on quality and performance at a lower price point than the competition. It has been through rigorous testing and as such has received the MAP stamp of approval. If that isn't enough to satisfy your concerns you should also know that it includes a one year limited warranty should there be an issue down the line, and if you take a look at our feedback on this forum we stand behind our products

Ok so you guys advertised this was a stock 9 frame turbo correct?? SO is it OEM or NOT? You still have not said anything about that,you just said the above statement. Which is funny because it says that it has been through rigorous testing.What does that mean? Just on the turbo itself because obvioously you guys didnt even have a graph for a while. Does that mean you developed a turbo on a whim? I would never advertise something without real world testing. Basically you guys assumed it would put down good results when actually installed.You didnt know it required a stiffer spring untill it was on a customer car so that right there tell everyone the r&d was horrible. How could you have not put it on a car before you put it for sale?!
Old Aug 17, 2009 | 01:52 PM
Former Sponsor

This turbo is on a shop car which made over 470whp before we even mentioned this turbocharger to the Evo community, we were hesitant to post graphs as the car has an aftermarket intake manifold which we felt would not accurately portray the spool characteristics, etc that a customer could expect with a stock manifold. The catch in regards to the wastegate situation is that our shop car has an external wastegate setup, thus the lack of knowledge in regards to the maximum boost capacity with the included internal wastegate setup. In regards to "advertising" please look back through this thread and get your facts straight. This is a customer review from one of our beta testers (there are 6 total) and we have yet to officially launch the turbocharger. This turbo is still in testing, we are simply trying to answer questions about it in the meantime.

Last edited by ChrisCarey; Aug 17, 2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2009 | 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Wow. I can't beleive people are getting so pissy over this. This thread is a customers review of a turbo that he is testing out for MAP. That means that this customer along with a few others including myself are actually a part of the R&D process needed before this turbo is actually launched to the public. This thing isn't even released yet and you guys are already raising hell. Wait till there are final results before you make judgement. Also I noticed that there were people comparing the 2 dyno sheets above. Although they are from the same car they are 2 diffrent rynos. Even though they are both Dynojets they are not going to read exactly alike. Just be patient and wait till the testing of these is completed before trash talking. Once a few of these are installed and the final tunes on them are done then we will all have a better idea where this turbo stands.
Old Aug 17, 2009 | 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

People are complaining about a $1200 plug and play turbo that is making some impressive numbers in it's TESTING stages. That's unacceptable.

I feel bad for MAP making their R&D process public. It seems like a good idea to me, but the community has just taken it too far.

They could have done all of the testing before announcing the turbo and you guys would be out buying $1800 turbos and then complain once MAP finally released this turbo.
Old Aug 17, 2009 | 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Post pump gas charts
Old Aug 17, 2009 | 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Props to MAP for letting us take their R&D public i have never seen a company in the evo community do this before on a product like this ,,,
IMO a evo running a spike to 24 psi and producing 394 whp on straight pump gas without even spraying down the intercooler is impressive in my books ,,
Old Aug 17, 2009 | 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by getsideways
Props to MAP for letting us take their R&D public i have never seen a company in the evo community do this before on a product like this ,,,
IMO a evo running a spike to 24 psi and producing 394 whp on straight pump gas without even spraying down the intercooler is impressive in my books ,,
that does sound like something I want!

Quick Reply: MAP SST (Sleeper Series Turbo) Installed and tested