Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

MAP SST (Sleeper Series Turbo) Installed and tested

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2009, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need the studs for the o2 housing side too. But either way I don't have extra bolts so I would have to order them too.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
So the turbo came with no hardware at all?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Nope. They may have been removed for porting or coating and then been forgotten. Or it's possible that they aren't included. Not sure.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 06:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by S2kracka
...yeah, bolts use threads too Rather than 2 bolts and 2 studs like stock, just use 4 bolts. I'll make installation and removal of the exhaust manifold a lot easier.
Got me on that. ;-) I figured bolts meant doing a through bolt application. Obviously I've never done a turbo on an Evo.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 06:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by shunderwunder
Nope. They may have been removed for porting or coating and then been forgotten. Or it's possible that they aren't included. Not sure.

They are available in the installation kit. Which is for EVO 8's to use a 9 style outlet pipe and gaskets and such.

When I get in, if we have an extra install kit. I'll get one on the way for you. The install kits are 99.99 usually and include oil lines, fittings, bolts, studs, washers, etc etc etc.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

I've got a IX. I thought the studs were part of the turbo so I left them in my old turbo when I sold it. If you have the studs in stock just PM me a price. I need the two that go to the manifold and the two that go to the o2 housing. I don't need the rest of the install kit. I'm gonna drop by the dealer after work to see if they happen to have any so I can try to get this thing on this weekend.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 07:57 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I would just use bolts instead of studs on the turbine inlet (where it meets the manifold) but I find it extremely odd that it does not come with the two studs for the turbine housing. FWIW, my BBK came with a baggie of studs for the turbine housing as well as turbine inlet; I only used two of the four.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

I'd use bolts if I had em. I'll figure out what I'm doing with it after werk.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
You're going to the dealer to get parts anyway, just get some extra bolts
Old Aug 19, 2009, 09:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you use bolts, you can later remove/install either the turbo or manifold without having to pull everything a part. The manifold will just slide off the top, or the turbo will just slide out from under the manifold. With the studs, there are problems trying to do this.

The bolts less studs are worth their weight in gold if you change again!
Old Aug 19, 2009, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Dealer will have em tomorrow. Took halls advice and ordered bolts for the manifold and they were cheaper too.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

yeah im pissed i waited a month for this turbo to come in and now i need to run all around town looking for studs and bolts that no one seems to have... im glad the bbk came with studs though good to know.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry about that confusion guys, if you can't track anything down just give us a call and we will get some overnighted to you!
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

No biggie Chris. The warehouse had some and they will be at the dealer tomorrow. I knew that even when you buy a replacement turbo from the dealer that it has no studs on it. Just didn't think about it till I saw mine show up without em. You may wanna add them as an option on your site or atleast mention that in the item description for those of us that "assume" too much. Most people with IXs will want them cause they'll leave the old ones in the old turbo. Obviously those with VIIIs will just get em in the install kit.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:00 AM

Well I made it back to mkc performance last night to get another re tune from chad with the new Forge actuator that MAP hooked me up with. I'm at work now so the new dyno graph is going to have to wait, sorry impatient people!

MKC Performance added a 5 bar map sensor to their dynojet so the graph has the attached accurate boost plots and there will be no 3 bar or defi gauge assumptions made by me included

Overall i'm nothing but satisfied with my SST, the MAP SST paired with the MAP O2 w/external dump at WOT speaks for itself and sits down any v8 I've left butt hurt... (sorry new vette owner with 30 day tag for making you walk funny today) hah he rolls down his window at the next stop light and had a look on his face like he might cry or go trade his car in and buy an evo, and says to me "whoa man, what do you have in that thing" i had to fight back laughing at him and said "dude, its a stock 4g63, just another evo"... just another evo at 490 ft lbs of tq... i'll post those charts asap

Quick Reply: MAP SST (Sleeper Series Turbo) Installed and tested