Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

MAP SST (Sleeper Series Turbo) Installed and tested

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well more bad news on my end. I went for dyno tuning today but there is some sort of electrical issue causing my IDC to go to 0 at full throttle. We beleive it has something to do with the MaftPro wiring or even possibly the MaftPro itself. I am planniung to ditch the MaftPro in favor of Stock ECU speed density anyway so it's not too big of a deal. I was just hoping to get tuned with what I have now & worry about converting later. Anyway while she was working ok we managed a 414hp pull (Dynojet) but then the issue came back & wouldn't go away so we were unable to finish tuning.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Damn dude, you just can't catcha break... sorry to hear about another failed attemp at getting numbers... good luck
Old Dec 8, 2009, 09:27 AM

It's been a little while since I've heard anything, still no numbers?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

i made 325 on a mustang dyno with the stt at a little over 26lbs. I still had the stock cat in place though which was easily holding back over 20hp at that boost level. The car feels great and spools up fairly nicely. I have put a test pipe back on and have felt adecent increase in power. Will have more dyno numbers shortly with the addition of a part or 2
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

I'm swapping out my Maf-T Pro & going to stock ECU speed density & boost control as we speak. We are gonna try to start tuning the new setup next week.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Has anyone actually gotten REAL results yet? I'm not talking about these hack setups, I'm talking a nice well modded build, stock engine with all the bolt-ons, etc.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

ill hopefully have more results soonish lol. But yes i do with there were more results too.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 03:17 PM

well guys, I've decided to risk it and go with this turbo. Just gotta save up the money then I'll get the SST and then dyno it. I'll def get plenty of info for yall once I have it on my car.
the build will be: SST (of course), kelford 272s, bc springs and retainers, intake, uicp, licp, stainless o2 housing, 3in catless exhaust, forge BOV, 100% methanol injection, 255 fuel pump, ported exhaust mani, and some kind of new intercooler and new fuel injectors (likely 1050). Right now i'm tuned to 27.5 psi, so we'll see where I am after the new turbo.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds like a great combo to test the turbo. You're pretty close to me, let me know if you need a hand with the install.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by gentlyharsh
well guys, I've decided to risk it and go with this turbo. Just gotta save up the money then I'll get the SST and then dyno it. I'll def get plenty of info for yall once I have it on my car.
the build will be: SST (of course), kelford 272s, bc springs and retainers, intake, uicp, licp, stainless o2 housing, 3in catless exhaust, forge BOV, 100% methanol injection, 255 fuel pump, ported exhaust mani, and some kind of new intercooler and new fuel injectors (likely 1050). Right now i'm tuned to 27.5 psi, so we'll see where I am after the new turbo.
Another option would be to stick with stock cams and use that money towards a deeper breathing turbo. I suspect that something like a BBK Full or HTA Green with stock cams would do better than the SST with aftermarket cams. Not trying to knock the SST, but just trying to present options. If E85 is in your area, I would recommend that over meth, and then you could skip the meth kit, get the cams, get a deeper breathing turbo, and make probably 50+ more whp than your current plans for the same money.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 04:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Another option would be to stick with stock cams and use that money towards a deeper breathing turbo. I suspect that something like a BBK Full or HTA Green with stock cams would do better than the SST with aftermarket cams. Not trying to knock the SST, but just trying to present options. If E85 is in your area, I would recommend that over meth, and then you could skip the meth kit, get the cams, get a deeper breathing turbo, and make probably 50+ more whp than your current plans for the same money.
You're definitely entitled to your opinion sir, but I have to ask why you think the turbos you mentioned above are "deeper breathing"? We have made ~490whp on a Dynojet with the SST and I can't find a BBK full over 430ish on a mustang dyno?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 06:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
You're definitely entitled to your opinion sir, but I have to ask why you think the turbos you mentioned above are "deeper breathing"? We have made ~490whp on a Dynojet with the SST and I can't find a BBK full over 430ish on a mustang dyno?
Thanks for challenging me on this. I gathered up some dyno plots for comparison. I found only three dyno sheets in this post with a best of 465 DJ whp (nothing showing 490 whp). All the results were obtained with E85, so I did a bit of searching on BBK Full E85 dyno sheets, and most were from the GST MD. GST's MD gives much lower values than the typical DJ. I usually give a 1.07 correction factor to the GST MD results when comparing to DJ results. Granted there are some differences in boost level and mods that complicate the comparison, but with a 1.07 correction factor, the BBK results are just a tad higher than the SST results. Perhaps the SST is fairly comparable. I'd still like to see some good stock turbo vs SST comparisons though.

Evo IX, SST, most all bolt-ons (stock O2 housing), E85, 34 psi tapering to 28 psi
455 whp DJ

Evo IX, SST, most all bolt-ons, E85, 30-31 psi tapering to ~22 psi
450 whp DJ

Mods not mentioned, 31 psi tapering to ~23 psi
465 whp DJ

Evo IX, BBK Full, most all bolt-ons, E85 with 28 psi peak
435 whp MD (probably 455-465 DJ)

Evo IX, BBK Full, most all bolt-ons 29 psi tapering to ~27 psi
445 MD whp

Evo IX, BBK Full, most all bolt-ons, 26 psi rising to 28 psi at 7000 rpm
429 MD whp
Old Dec 8, 2009, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kracka
Sounds like a great combo to test the turbo. You're pretty close to me, let me know if you need a hand with the install.
yeah man, I've seen you post up on the NTEC thread.
I was actually just thinking about lettin Kevin do it, cause I am TOTALLY not competent enough to try it myself haha
Old Dec 8, 2009, 07:22 PM

thanks for the input man, It's always appreciated.
I was drawn to the SST because of its super fast spool. I use more 'get up and go' than super high end stuff.
From what I've seen I'd have to agree with ChrisCarey on the power outputs tho with the BBK FUll or HTA green. Not to mention the SST's extremely outstanding price.
It's all been tough calls (even in choosing meth over e85) and I'm still always open to more input.
Why do you suggest going back to stock cams though? Aside from the monetary savings i mean?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for challenging me on this. I gathered up some dyno plots for comparison. I found only three dyno sheets in this post with a best of 465 DJ whp (nothing showing 490 whp). All the results were obtained with E85, so I did a bit of searching on BBK Full E85 dyno sheets, and most were from the GST MD. GST's MD gives much lower values than the typical DJ. I usually give a 1.07 correction factor to the GST MD results when comparing to DJ results. Granted there are some differences in boost level and mods that complicate the comparison, but with a 1.07 correction factor, the BBK results are just a tad higher than the SST results. Perhaps the SST is fairly comparable. I'd still like to see some good stock turbo vs SST comparisons though.
From what I see in the examples that you posted, the SST is fairly comparable to these other turbos you've mentioned but at a significantly lower price point. That seems like a pretty good selling point to me. I beleive part of your recomendation is due to very few test results from SST equiped cars & there not being much real data out yet. Unfortunately I am one of those who are holding up the testing & results. I just ordered a GrimmSpeed boost control solenoid from MAP & an Omni 4bar map sensor so I can switch my Maf-T Pro out for stock ECU speed density & ECU controlled boost. Both of which are available to me in no small part thanx to you mrfred. If all goes well I'll be starting my tuning next week & will get some results from this SST shortly.

Quick Reply: MAP SST (Sleeper Series Turbo) Installed and tested