Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

AMSOIL - Ongoing Track Review!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2009, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMSOIL - Ongoing Track Review!

This will serve as my detailed thread and review on AMSOIL products for my tracked Evo IX. Although it is deep into the midwest summer know, I was definitely a neutral customer at the beginning of the track season. Please read on as I detail my car changes, why I decided to go with AMSOIL and what the AMSOIL reps suggested - and of course the results associated. As always; post up questions or PM me for specifics.

I've been tracking my car for about 3 years now. I've got about 30 or so events under my belt. For the first 2 years I used the factory recommended Mobil 5w30 synthetic. I usually change after every weekend or every other weekend event depending on how close they are (time is always tight) and how much track time I got. As I instruct occasionally for the SCCA, those days I don't drive too much.

I've slowly modded, de-modded and re-modded the car as I've gotten more and more serious and tried out different mod combinations. I started running NASA TT events in 2008 and began adapting the car for their TT ruleset. As I've picked up more speed, I began worrying about lubrication of the engine, transmission and diffs. So, I called up AMS (AMS Performance in Chicago) and had them recommend some fluids and immediately adopted a twice a year change of all the 'driveline' fluids including the Transmission, ACD and Rear Diff. I also searched around for a different engine oil as I was really being harder and harder on the car as I was starting to run timed events. I read a lot about AMSoil so I started asking around and found Andy (apagan01) on the forums. I called him up around the beginning of the year and we talked for probably 30min the first time. I explained what I did with the car and he explained my options and a few different recommendations.

Because of my track schedule, I was actually going to visit the same track - Putnam Park in Indiana - twice in the same month. This turned out be be a great apples-to-apples type of test. I did my first test-n-tune event there with the stock recommended oil and seen oil temps above 240 constantly on track with a peak close to 262 degrees and running about 5 or so hot laps.

After seeing these types of temps, I decided it was time for a change. I called up Andy and after a few discussions, made my initial order. To start off, we put AMSoil 10w40 in the car. This was recommended as I still drove my car on the street. It was not my DD anymore, but I did pack it up and drove to/from events which can include 450-700 street miles in a weekend.

A few weeks later, I went back to the same exact track. I did see slightly lower peak temps with the AMSoil 10w40 which was a good sign as this was a thicker oil offering much much more protection. Specifically, temps were about 8-10 degrees lower while running the car harder with Hoosiers generating more cornering g's and spending more time in the upper 6000+ rpm's range.
I did not notice any real driveability changes to the car. It drove the same and felt the same basically. I'd call this a successful start.

This is on a ~300whp car running an AMS pump gas tune, 3" exhaust and a heatwrapped downpipe:
Oil Temps:
1) Mobil 1 5w30 - Ambient 75 - 3-5 hot laps - 255-262 degrees peak
2) AMSoil 10w40 - Ambient 85 - 8-10 hot laps - 245-255 degrees peak

In June I took the leap and purchased a Truck and Trailer for the Evo. Yep, it's a trailer queen now! That is, until I get to the track and beat on it! Having a trailer definitely gives you added confidence to push the car harder. I had already talked over this situation with Andy but with another quick call he suggested the 'Dominator' 10w30. This is basically their torture oil for track-only cars. Since mine is not a DD anymore; Andy said this was the logical choice.
However, just to be 100% safe, once again I got ahold of AMS to ask their opinion. I wanted to get a true un-biased opinion from AMS as they see a LOT of cars that do track events and I am running their custom tunes as well. AMS said AMSOIL would be great and either the 10w40 or 10w30 would provide me good protection along with their ECU tunes. They - AMS - actually directed me back to AMSOIL to talk about specific change intervals. So with a call back to Andy; I placed a large order for the Dominator 10w30!

As you can see, the order recently arrived. Much more to come......

Last edited by boomn29; Aug 2, 2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im thinking of buying amsoil too for my car, great write up.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Update as often as possible. Send in a UOA when you can too, that helps alot.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 11:11 PM

I'm wondering what are some drawbacks on using the dominator as a daily driver?
Old Aug 3, 2009, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 8UpUrV8
Update as often as possible. Send in a UOA when you can too, that helps alot.
Will do.

I have a sample of the Mobil 5w30 that seen 262 temps in 1 weekend. I need to send that in to BlackStone!
I plan to catch some of the AMSOIL Dominator 10w30 and send it in too. I have my next track event this weekend where I'll be running NASA TT and already have the Dominator in!

Originally Posted by M_lizar
The Dominator is not recommended for DD vehicles. It's made for the higher temps. I'm sure Andy will pipe up and give the specifics.
I know he told me in all reality it will work; but something like the 10w40 they have is better suited.

Last edited by boomn29; Aug 3, 2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

I have been running AMSOIL in my Evo IX for the past 3 years. I change it every 5 to 7 K. It looks good and smells fine after 5 - 7 K use. NO issues. I'm happy with it.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

AMSOIL fan boy chiming in....

I love the stuff. I have a local private dealer in my area that will actually drop my order off at work.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

I too run all Amsoil products.

May I ask how frequently you change your motor/differential/transmission oils?
Old Aug 3, 2009, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Who specifically did you speak too about Amsoil. I currently run the 10w30 ATM but I feel its just a tad thin. I wanted to run the SSO but not sure about that. Was thinking of doing the 5w-40 Euro blend as I run that in a family member CLK and it really seems like nice oil. Going to be doing more tracking this year so want to be safe. Wouldn't mind speaking to this Andy person.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
Who specifically did you speak too about Amsoil. I currently run the 10w30 ATM but I feel its just a tad thin. I wanted to run the SSO but not sure about that. Was thinking of doing the 5w-40 Euro blend as I run that in a family member CLK and it really seems like nice oil. Going to be doing more tracking this year so want to be safe. Wouldn't mind speaking to this Andy person.
Andy - apagan01 is his screenname on the forums here.

For sure; he's a wealth of knowledge. I'm not familiar with their entire line, but you might wanna look at the 10w40. That is what he first recommended to me and it's also was AMS recommended to me (they are not connected) for a vehicle that is DD / Tracked / aggressive street driven.
Andy's got a wealth of knowledge and can explain out all the options.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 02:21 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by M_lizar
RD dominator can be used for DD, however you need to ensure that you change it at the reccomended interval or sooner, KEEP IN MIND THAT DOMINATOR IS A DEDICATED OIL FOR TRACK, USE OUR ATM 10W30 FOR DD OR DEPENDING ON YOUR POWER LEVEL 10W40 OR 20W50.

RD oil is top notch oil so is any racing oil out there that is competent.

Last edited by apagan01; Aug 3, 2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Mitsu spec calls for Mobil 1 10W-30. You'd think with all those oil changes you would have bothered to read the oil cap at least once
Old Aug 3, 2009, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by S2kracka
Mitsu spec calls for Mobil 1 10W-30. You'd think with all those oil changes you would have bothered to read the oil cap at least once
Old Aug 3, 2009, 02:40 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by S2kracka
Iam not sure what are you trying to get at.
more power, more boost, built engines, ect require change in oil viscosities

Let’s try and keep this thread as educational as possible.
The OP and I would like to maintain this thread about his racing, AMSOIL has sponsored his track evo and he will be posting as the progresses.

thanks

Last edited by apagan01; Aug 3, 2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
Iam not sure what are you trying to get at.
more power, more boost, built engines, ect require change in oil viscosities
What I'm getting at is that he is claiming 5W-30 is Mitsu spec when it is not and I'm wondering how much that is throwing off this comparison data.

Quick Reply: AMSOIL - Ongoing Track Review!