Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

HIR [sic] High-Beam Lights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2009, 02:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HIR [sic] High-Beam Lights

http://hirheadlights.com/

Has anyone tried these? They google well and people seem to have nice things to say about them on various other boards.

Do you know if the bulge in the bulb will fit through our high-beam aperture?

I'm not looking for an HID conversion - these are simply regular halogens that put out mega-lumens.

Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2009, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the HIR's for my highbeams and they are incredible. Not much more to say then they clearly overpower the OEM bulbs. There are no clearance issues, as they were designed to fit through the hole in the housing.

HIR technology is patented and proven. While a standard halogen bulb emits a broad spectrum of light (including infrared light), HIR bulbs use a special reflective coating to selectively reflect and transmit the light it creates. The special coating takes the infrared light/energy and reflects it back onto the filament. This design reduces the amount of power needed to keep the filament hot thereby, increasing light output, life span and efficiency.

The upper bulb, which is similar in appearance to a Xenon capsule, is actually the first generation HIR bulb developed and patented by G.E. One of the problems with GE's design is that the bulb is long and fragile, and would often crack and cause premature bulb failure. Lamp selection is also limited due to the bulb's long length. The G.E. patent was eventually licensed to Toshiba, who redesigned and improved the HIR bulb design. The second generation Toshiba bulb is not only super reliable, but also lasts longer and emits more light.

Last edited by SHhhhh; Aug 9, 2009 at 04:28 AM.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SHhhhh
I have the HIR's for my highbeams and they are incredible. Not much more to say then they clearly overpower the OEM bulbs. There are no clearance issues, as they were designed to fit through the hole in the housing.
Awesome - thanks. Any issues with longevity of the bulbs?