Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Evo X: SPEC Super-Twin P-Trim Clutch

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2009, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Evo X: SPEC Super-Twin P-Trim Clutch

I picked the car up this morning from SPEC Clutch in Birmingham, AL this morning. Upon getting there, Jeremy greeted me and handed me the keys to my X with their brand new Super Twin P-Trim clutch in it. This clutch is rated at 1,100 ft lbs of torque. So let the preliminary review begin!

Upon driving with the new clutch, I initially felt like a manual transmission noob all over again. I stalled the car two times while still in the parking lot. The engagement point of this clutch is much lower than stock. It engages near the bottom of the pedal vs the stock engagement point. Once I got use to the engagement point (and after the embarrassment wore off as my wife was laughing at me since I have been driving a manual for 16 years), I decided to start my drive back home to Atlanta, GA. The clutch takes a little bit to get use to in the beginning, but once you get use to it, this clutch is awesome. The pedal pressure feels about the same, just the engagement point is different. And you know when this thing engages, as it grabs like a fat boy grabbing an ice cream cone. I can’t really say enough of how well it grabs. There is nothing sloppy about it; everything is very precise and instantaneous. The slow response from the factory assembly is replaced by an immediate response. This is how the EVO X should have been from the factory and not that POS clutch that the car came with.

I have about 250 miles on the clutch, and I have not stalled out since the initial drive session while trying to get use to where this clutch engages at. I have not heard any chatter. I have another couple of hundred miles before the clutch is fully broken in so I can take the car to the track. But once it is broken in, it is track time.

I can’t say enough good things about SPEC and this clutch. SPEC has kept me in the loop through the entire development process and Jeremy is very straight forward and wonderful to deal with. I have used their products before in the past and I have always been very pleased with them and their products. But this clutch is just so much better than anything I have used before.

UPDATE (8/15/09 @ 7:00PM EST)

A little bit of noise started to develop today. I can only hear it while in an enclosed space, such as my garage. But there is some noise now. I pressed the clutch pedal in to throw it into reverse, and I started to hear this slight chattering noise. I through the car back into neutral and released the pedal and the noise went away. I then pressed the pedal back in and the noise was clearly there. I can only hear it with the windows down and while in the garage. I took the car for a drive and I could not hear the chatter while while stopped at a light. THIS IS NORMAL ON ALL TWIN DISC CLUTCHES AND NOT AN ISSUE!

Last edited by SupremeX; Oct 2, 2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

A little bit of chatter started to develop today. I can only hear it while in an enclosed space, such as my garage. But there is some chatter now. I pressed the clutch pedal in to throw it into reverse, and I started to hear this slight chattering noise. I through the car back into nuetral and released the pedal and the noise went away. I then pressed the pedal back in and the noise was clearly there. I can only hear it with the windows down and while in the garage. I took the car for a drive and I could not hear the chatter while while stopped at a light.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SupremeX
A little bit of chatter started to develop today. I can only hear it while in an enclosed space, such as my garage. But there is some chatter now. I pressed the clutch pedal in to throw it into reverse, and I started to hear this slight chattering noise. I through the car back into nuetral and released the pedal and the noise went away. I then pressed the pedal back in and the noise was clearly there. I can only hear it with the windows down and while in the garage. I took the car for a drive and I could not hear the chatter while while stopped at a light.
twin discs will chatter when the clutch pedal is pressed in because of the multiplates. if this is happening with the clutch pedal depreseed, then beats me. Me and my friends vowed to never buy spec again since my friends single plate spec started chattering for no reason and played a role in hard engagement sometimes, with like 5 k miles dd use.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SupremeX
This clutch is rated at 1,100 ft lbs of torque.
Mother of God... sounds bulletproof! I bet it costs more than $1100 too!
Old Aug 15, 2009, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by itsme4g63
twin discs will chatter when the clutch pedal is pressed in because of the multiplates. if this is happening with the clutch pedal depreseed, then beats me.
It is only happening when the clutch pedal is pressed in all the way. I expect it to be normal as all clutches so far for the X have some chatter.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:09 PM

It's worth noting that chatter, clatter, and the sound referenced by Supreme aren't the same thing. In an effort to provide information that will better inform other readers about this I have listed the differences below.

Chatter results from the scuffing of the clutch disc on the face of the flywheel and pressure-plate during pedal release (clutch engagement). This is generally more noticeable with pucked discs (like our stage 3 and stage 4) though it can be felt during the break-in period when using any aftermarket clutch (with a built higher-clamp pressure-plate and a disc with a greater friction coefficient). Chatter doesn't evidence any issue and is ultimately normal. If this occurs after a clutch has been installed, and wasn't evident initially, then it is possible that the cause is heat and subsequent glazing. (Itsme if you, or your friend, have any questions about this I will be happy to discuss it with you).

Clatter is a different phenomenon that is associated with reduced assembly weight and that originates within the transmission. It is also known as Gear Noise and Gear Lash and occurs as a result of the interplay of gear teeth. This sound is greater in cars that use lighter flywheels which aside from weight differences also have dampening differences too. Use of a more viscous transmission fluid can help reduce clatter but it will not eliminate it.

The sound that Supreme references results from the interaction of the floater plate and pressure-plate when the clutch pedal is depressed and thus the clutch is released. This is a normal occurrence and again doesn't evidence any issue.

I hope this info helps. Let me know if you all have any further questions. Thanks,
Old Sep 23, 2009, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

So why is there chatter when it is in gear? Also is this a 1 time model or is this coming to the market and at what price ?

Im weary of Spec clutches (not dissing) but had mine explode on me, and all the material fell off of it killing my syncros as well. This was under normal driving.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:50 AM

As mentioned chatter occurs during engagement and is felt/heard in first and reverse. If you want to explain how and under what curcumstances the sound occurs I will be more then happy to provide more info.

As a side note, and this isn't said to be accusational, but clutch material doesn't usually just seperate on it own. Nor do units simply explode. If you have an RMA# relative to your issues I will be happy to look over the history of the situation and let you know what we found when examinging the parts. Let me know. Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2009, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Looking at Spec twins for my IX
Old Oct 2, 2009, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Brokenevo
So why is there chatter when it is in gear? Also is this a 1 time model or is this coming to the market and at what price ?

I would like to know this also.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Edited original post to clear up some questions.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

^^ how much did you get the clutch kit? TIA
Old Jan 12, 2010, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im located in Destin Fl could I drive up and have you guys install the clutch for me. There are no shops in my area that i really trust...
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:17 PM

Generally speaking we only do installation work relative to development. This was the case with Supreme's car and as such I am not really equipped to handle normal installation work. Yes we have a lift and the tools required to handle darn near anything you could imagine but time becomes the limiting factor. I hope you understand this!