Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

TTP Engineering First Timer - 364whp/358wtq Stock Turbo 93 Octane

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2009, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TTP Engineering First Timer - 364whp/358wtq Stock Turbo 93 Octane

****In the title I meant "First Timer" review not "First Review"****
Long story short I had an 03 EVO8 traded in for a 06 EVO9. Wanted to keep it stock...didn't happen. In the Army and stationd at Fort Gordon, GA. Basically I'm in South Carolina if you don't know where that is.

This is kind of long...sorry I'm trying to be thorough.
April 2009 - When I found out I was going to PCS (move) to Georgia, I started looking around for shops. While looking around for places, I came across TTP Engineering. Heard/read great things about them but saw it was in Orlando, FL and I said screw that I'm not driving there (approx 430 miles one way). So I decided I was going to do a self tune.

June 2009 - Got down to Georgia with cams installed, head studs installed, TBE installed, MBC installed and whatever else I had done. Not tuned. Read online for about 80 hours and started working on the tune. Added the JDM RS MIVEC map, leaned out the AFR played with the twp step in the timing maps to add boost and called it a day.

Late June/Early July 2009 - Read around more about TTP and a little bit about Top Speed in Atlanta. I think I may have called Top Speed a few times but I did call Scott at TTP also. Left him a voicemail a few hours later he called me back. I couldn't answer the phone so he left me a message. He told me he could get around 350whp on their Mustang Dyno in the message and I thought alright sounds good to me. But then I kept putting everything off and forgot about it. Ran into some money problems (speeding tickets, car taxes, etc) and said oh well to getting tuned.

Late July/Early August 2009 - Went to track with my tune at 24psi and ran a 13.5 at 101mph with stock clutch. WTF!!! Clutch started slipping that day and I was pi$$ed. Started looking for shops in the area again. Stumbled upon TTP again that only really worked on EVO's. Saw a few pictures of their shop with only EVO's. Read they had their own custom ACT 6 puck clutch (with no lockout). I needed a clutch. I needed a tune. I wanted more parts. I called Scott. He hooked me up with their ACT 6 puck TTP-spec clutch kit with XACT Streetlite flywheel, Injen intake with U/L intercooler pipes and their O2 housing. Plus a tune and install of the clutch. Everything sounded like it was going to be awesome. Made the appointment and got out of work early to take the 7 hour drive down.

15 August 2009 - Left at 4am got there by 11am. Got started right away, Luis threw the clutch on in about 2.5 hours. Ran into some problems with the O2 housing cause the bolts were all stuck on there. Met a few other people there too including a guy with I believe a stock 09 Ralliart. I think he made something like 280whp and ran the quarter on their dyno at like 13.1. Anyways Scott threw the car on the dyno and started. My tune made 305whp/309wtq (I don't want to talk about it). He threw his map in, car made 340whp/340wtq. Wow. Started fine tuning it and well we ended up with 364whp/358wtq at 26psi on 93 octane stock ix turbo. Peak torque about 3400 rpm - his graph was higher than mine in every RPM. Mine never even touched his lol. Needless to say I am very pleased with the tune, the install, the parts and the service. Scott was a real cool guy and answered all my questions.

I will definately be back next spring and this was worth the total 15+ hours of driving.

FP Red with 18psi wastegate, Shearer or Full Race Exhaust manifold with bigger injectors/fuel rail Can't wait. My friend with an EVO X is going to take the trip down there with me and get his clutch, cams and his tune down there at TTP too.

For like the third time...Scott: you owe me a ride

Engine Mods below:

Greddy Full Titanium Exhaust
DC Sports Downpipe/Test Pipe
Greddy 264/264 Cams
AMS FMIC
ACT HD-TTP 6-Puck Clutch Kit
XACT Streetlite Flywheel
Injen Upper/Lower Intercooler Piping
Injen Intake
TTP O2 Housing
Walbro 255lhp Fuel Pump
ARP Head Studs
Hallman PRO RX MBC 26psi taper to 20.5(ish)
stock ix turbo
stock injectors
stock exhaust/intake manifold
no porting

UPDATE: So far best time has been 12.080 @ 115.75 with 1.66 60 footer.
Attached Thumbnails TTP Engineering First Timer - 364whp/358wtq Stock Turbo 93 Octane-ttp-engineering-mustang-dyno.jpg   TTP Engineering First Timer - 364whp/358wtq Stock Turbo 93 Octane-ttp-tuned-graph.jpg  

Last edited by mitsuevo803; Nov 1, 2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: title edit and added track times
Old Aug 17, 2009, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

wow my scanner sucks....maybe TTP can put up a better graph?
Old Aug 17, 2009, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

i bet it was nice driving back... Congrats!!!
Old Aug 17, 2009, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsuevo803
My tune made 305whp/309wtq (I don't want to talk about it). He threw his map in, car made 340whp/340wtq. Wow.
Man not to make you feel bad, but looks like your tune had quite a bit of knock especially at around 6500... and looks like timing was jumping around quite a bit. Great Job Scott!!!
Old Aug 17, 2009, 01:23 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Freddie. If we weren't so busy I would have taken you for a ride. I had to come in at 9am on Fri and Saturday and worked until midnight....

Haven't slept more than 4 hours in days.

We appreciate you taking the trip out here!
Old Aug 17, 2009, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, youll definately be seeing me again Scott...just don't know what setup I want to do next - FP Red or Meth. (Both would be nice). DAMN you stayed until midnight on saturday (day off)???

BTW what did that silver Evo from Connecticut (with meth and GT35R) end up making for power?

Last edited by mitsuevo803; Aug 17, 2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 08:03 PM
Account Disabled

There was an exhaust leak at one of the twin wastegates and the AFR could not be effectively measured, however the car came in with 359/320 and left with 505whp.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Veronica@TTP
There was an exhaust leak at one of the twin wastegates and the AFR could not be effectively measured, however the car came in with 359/320 and left with 505whp.
wow mustve been a BAD leak. 505whp must be fun! i sent out that O2 housing yesterday via USPS Priority mail, please PM me when you guys get it.

GO YANKEES!
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:51 AM
Account Disabled

wow mustve been a BAD leak. 505whp must be fun! i sent out that O2 housing yesterday via USPS Priority mail, please PM me when you guys get it.

GO YANKEES!
Ha ha...Go Yankees is right!!!!!

Great to meet you. Thanks again for making the drive down. We are thrilled that you are so happy with the results and we certainly look forward to seeing you again.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 06:56 PM
Account Disabled

GO YANKEES!
It was enough to leave black soot on the wg flange. The customer installed it so we are not sure if they put a wg gasket in there or not.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Scott - any recommendations for launching that clutch? Rev it to twp step and slip it a bit first then let off at the light? Or just rev it to two step for a few seconds then dump it? Hitting up the track either Thursday or Saturday night.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Man, you pretty excited about the new mods and tune! Gotta catch a ride with you one of these nights! I know your car is probably pretty beasty right now. LoL
Old Aug 18, 2009, 09:00 PM

car looks great! keep up the good work and congratz
Old Aug 19, 2009, 08:25 AM
Account Disabled

Scott - any recommendations for launching that clutch? Rev it to twp step and slip it a bit first then let off at the light? Or just rev it to two step for a few seconds then dump it? Hitting up the track either Thursday or Saturday night.
Takes a bit of practice. Do not dump the clutch unless you like breaking the transfer case.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

TTP is a great shop man,they actually tuned my car before I even purchased it (previous owner tuned it). Good guys over there,your numbers are pretty close with what I want to be making.

Quick Reply: TTP Engineering First Timer - 364whp/358wtq Stock Turbo 93 Octane