Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

MODE Double Adjustable Shifter

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2009, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MODE Double Adjustable Shifter

Whats up folks,

Just wanted to drop a quick review of the MODE Double Adjustable short throw shifter for the Evo X. Before I get started let me just thank Ben over at Rally Sport Direct for taking care of me with my recent seat and shifter purchase.

Many of you may be familiar with the COBB Double Adjustable short throw shifter. When I finally got around to ordering one, I quickly found out that COBB is no longer producing that part. After a bit of searching I cam across the MODE, which as luck would have it, is made by the same guys that made the COBB unit. It seems COBB decided to drop some of the hard parts but they gave these guys permission to make the part on there own and thus the MODE Double Adjustable short throw shifter was born.

I have to say this is an A+ product. The box included the folowing:
  • Full color photo illustrated installation instructions
  • Shifter
  • Socket Head Wrenches
  • New Retaining Washers

The only thing this kit was missing is a bit of grease for the ball and cup. I opted to use some high temp wheel bearing grease that I had laying around. Seems to work just fine and it stays put even when things heat up a little bit.

Many after market short throw shifters take the shortcut of reducing throw by shortening the lever arm of the shifter (the length between the fulcrum and the threads for the knob). That works but is far from ideal in my opinion because while it reduces throw it also increases the distance between the steering wheel and the shifter.

The MODE, on the other hand, Allows you to adjust both the length of the load arm (section between the cable and fulcrum) and the length of the lever arm. This allows you to not only adjust the throw, but also the height of the knob. As you can see from the following pic, there is a boat load of adjustment available with this setup:

I was a bit worried when I ordered this unit because the specs only list a 15% reduction in throw. Let me go ahead and say I was able to get a 25% reduction in throw. The best part is that was measured at stock knob height. Throw reduction was measured at the top of the threads for the shift knob, with no knob on the shifter. Stock throw measured at 5cm neutral to gear, or a total gear to gear throw of 10cm. I then installed the MODE setup as shown here:

Next the height of the threaded section was adjusted to match the stock height relative to the plastic base. After buttoning everything up I measured the throw again. With the MODE installed the throw measured 4cm neutral to gear with a total gear to gear throw of 8cm. That is a reduction of .78" on 3.93" throw. If you wanted to lower the knob you could easily shorten the top section and reduce throw even further.

One last installed pic:

Last edited by Mad_SB; Aug 20, 2009 at 04:26 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

nice!

do you have completed installation pictures?
Old Aug 19, 2009, 03:52 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With everything installed you cannot see the shifter at all. It will place the knob at different heights depending on how you set it. but the only way to tell a difference is to check the height or throw.

Thanks for the write up it is much appreciated!!!

to let everyone know this is the EVO X shifter not the evo 8-9
Old Aug 20, 2009, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RallySport Direct
With everything installed you cannot see the shifter at all. It will place the knob at different heights depending on how you set it. but the only way to tell a difference is to check the height or throw.

Thanks for the write up it is much appreciated!!!

to let everyone know this is the EVO X shifter not the evo 8-9
crap, I forgot to put that in the title, for the evo x that is. I'll try to get one of the mods to change it.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kouzman
nice!

do you have completed installation pictures?
Last pic is the completed install minus the boot and knob. Mine is set to stock height so it would look the same as stock with the boot and knob.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 01:14 PM

install looks great...