Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

my REESE experience. Done w/ "the quickness"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2009, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my REESE experience. Done w/ "the quickness"

So... I contacted james @ reese about a couple minor issues I was having w/ my car, as well as a list of things I wanted/needed done. He said no prob, when can he accomodate me? I was told, that w/ my "list" it would take a couple days to get er done... Took the day off work, to get my car down to reese as early as I could, being a fri. in rush hour traffic to get up there. Arrived @ ~ 10:30 am, discussed the list over again, and he and alan began workin on the list, w/ "the quickness". Turns out, they had the list finished by that friday evening, and thats w/ a tune james had in process, as I showed up! I asked james for a lil dyno time, if it was available, and he was kind enough to let me do my thing on the dyno for a few hours! That was awesomeness! I have mad respect for that dyno, and the tuners who operate it!

List: port my stock IX turbo, and thermal coat the hotside, mil-spec 65mm TB w/ intake port match, removal of the egr solenoid, and installing a block off plate, installed "proper" spacers under my tie bars, so theres no contact w/ the DP, oil change, swap out the tranny and diffs. fluids, rotate my tires, boost leak test, crushed my BOV ever so gently, and I had asked them to figure out why my muffler had shifted and was laying against the rear bumber. Took them all of 2 secs. to figure that 1 out!

So before I even finished up w/ the invoice, all of the fluids were done, and alan was working on pulling the turbo. He noticed that 2 bolts on the 02 were seized up and not gonna come out. Alan brings me a ported/polished 02, and offered it to me, as another customer was parting out. So I was thinking, well ****, now Im gonna have to purchase an 02, as well... A few mins l8r, alan comes back w/ a stock 1 to replace, no charge! Very cool! Handled w/ the quickness! James also, had a ported/polished IX turbo in house, so he just swapped out the turbine w/ mine... again, handled w/ the quickness! Took the hotside to the coater, had it back in about 5 hours. did a decent job.

I went to check into the motel, we were stayin at, and settle in for a min., and by the time I got back to the shop, the int mani port match was done, as well as the block off plate and TB on. again... handled w/ the quickness!
Also to note: Aby was on vacation, so james wasnt able to get a TB in time for me, so he graciously took me to visit christina, and pulled it off her. w/ ~ 150 miles on it. Again, handled w/ the quickness! Im unable to have any down time w/ my car, (DD) and james took care of me, so there was no down time! The calibration was a bit off... he took care of that, no prob. While boost leak testing, found not only a boost leak (I knew I had 1) but had a nice vac. leak, as one of the lines was completely off!

I didnt have the special lug nut remover for my advans, (thanks americas tires) but alan pulled em off, and rotated them w/ out a scratch!

My GF and I went to dinner, came back to the shop, and the car was already loaded, and ready for the dyno! I disabled all of the EGR periphery stuff, and set my car up for the newly tightened wastegate... If I remember correctly I hit 300hp/305tq @ ~ 27 psi... Personally, those were the numbers I was shooting for, but not @ 27psi... So I began turnin her down... James had noticed, I might need to crush the BOV a bit... I thought it was a good idea, but was concerned that he doesnt over-crush it, causing drivability issues. He managed to massage it perfectly, w/ no drivabiloity issues! @ that point it was getting late, it was like 11 - 12pm, and I knew james had been there since ~ 9am, so I offered to pick it up the following morning... He said, it would be no prob if I wanted to finish it up and stay as long as I needed. I also knew he hadnt eaten since noon, so we called it a night, and picked it up in the morning. Thanks for trying to bang it all out in 1 day for me james! In the morning he had quite a few customers, and was busy, so gave me FULL reign of the dyno, so I could finish up my tune! Fkn Awesome experience! Awesome dyno! Thank you so very much for that! I had a fkn blast!!! I left her w/ 294hp/291tq @ 25 psi, w/ no more than a few blips of 2 counts in about 10 - 20 pulls... Thanks for the tips james!

All in all, my experience was phenominal! I couldnt have asked for anything more! James and Alan, are both great guys, and extremely knowledgable! Not only did I get great service, my car feels great, leak free, and is back to shifting silky smooth! I will say, the mil-spec 65mm TB is a great mod! great job aby! I decided to try and touch the int mani, after the tuning session, to see if the block off plate was doing its job, and indeed it is! And w/ the porting of the turbo/int. mani, I can hold more boost longer, (w/ out knock) w/ 22 psi @ redline w/ out breaking a sweat! (84%) I was seeing 105% IDC @ 21 psi by redline, and now @ 22, its the same 105%. This is pretty much as far as I wanna push it, untill I get some injectors... the new found response w/ the TB is awesome. She feels peppy/ballsy again, even at partial throttle! Not only am I happy, but so is my evo!

Another great part of the experience, was any time there was any type of option, (ex.) fluids, they asked me which I would prefer, and had either in stock, as well as asking me if I would like the wastegate tightened up a bit (since the turbo was off), or would I like the bov crushed (@ no charge) etc... James and alan were also kind enough to share a couple tips. On top of all of that... I was running low on gas (while on the dyno) since driving from northridge, and james had some chevron or shell 91 he had just pulled from another car, that was being prepped for E-85, and was kind enough to put it in my tank, so I could finish up! again, fkn awesome! I was a lil concerned that using a different brand gas, would cause probs w/ the tune. causing knock, but it didNOT might even have helped...

Point of the story... James and Alan are LEGIT! They BOTH really know theyre ish! Very knowledgeable! Even answered my dumb questions, like "why isnt my turbo timer working while my car was on the dyno"? Cause the hood was up... lol I wasnt accusing u james or alan, just confused, and looking for an answer! and I got 1... and it was the correct 1!

I went from going theres something wrong w/ my baby, but cant pinpoint it, to 100% confident shes now, healthy as can be! My Baby also thanks you!

Thank you for everything! I had a blast this weekend! And u saved me from having to stay in that motel another night!
as you can tell, I highly recommend reese for all of your evos needs!

P.S. congrats on the new shop/dyno. The shop is off da hook! And GL w/ the sale of christina! Alan, thanks again for all of your help, and hang in there w/ school! You can work on my evo any day!

Phil
Old Nov 23, 2009, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont think that this is in the right section, but +1 for James and Alain!
Old Nov 23, 2009, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they did a good job on my other evo mr. id recommend them as the best shop in southern california