Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Custom BlaqOPs double-pump kit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom BlaqOPs double-pump kit

A lot of Evo owners have heard about BlaqOPs at this point. They specialize in modifying the Evo fuel pump hanger and providing under-hood lines and fuel filters--the whole kit being E85 safe. The kits are reasonably priced and as easy to install as possible (which isn't necessarily child's play with a double pump. haha).

The double-pump kits come in both Hobbs-switch activation (the second pump turns on once a certain boost threshold is met) or the fancier boost or MAF progressive models that use a controller to ramp up the second pump more linearly.

The normal process for getting this done is to pull your stock hanger from your gas tank and mail it in. Perhaps a week later you'll get back a complete kit that you can reinstall. I didn't like that since I only have one car...having it down for 1.5-2 weeks. No thanks!

I opted to buy a billet hanger from Full Blown. A fairly expensive piece of kit but I shipped it to BlaqOPs and had them install their boost progressive double pump kit in it.

I'm going to try to get it in this week.

Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

A friend helped me with the install last night. We ran into a couple snags--a problem with the wiring on the hanger-side connector and the BlaqOPs docs that I received wasn't clear about what needed to be done to the fuel hose...turns out that you have to cut the hoses off the hard lines under the car and run new 5/16th lines.

Here's what the Full Blown hanger looks like with the stock sending unit attached. Slick!

Old Mar 2, 2010, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Here are some more details about the BlaqOPs double-pump install.

We grabbed the + feed from the main feed from the engine compartment into the fuse box (we scrapped away some of the covering and soldered onto it) and tapped into ignition on using one of those ATO add-a-circuits at fuse 13 (the cigarette lighter) for the ignition on power source. These two wires run in plastic wire wrap from the fuse box to the glove box (if you look behind the radio from the glovebox you'll see a passage-way. I used an antenna that happened to be lying around to feed the wire across).

The ground for the BlaqBox was one of the brackets for the Sirius radio behind the glovebox.

The BlaqBox (boost progressive controller) is Velcroed to the Sirius receiver behind the glovebox.

I grabbed a boost feed by inserting a T into the BOV connection and running 1/4" vacuum tubing along the upper back edge of the firewall (you will see a bundle of wires running there). I just zip-tied the line to that bundle.

Behind the passenger side front strut tower there is a plastic grommet that can be punched out to run wires through to behind the glovebox. I punched it out with a screwdriver and then ran a pick through the padding on the other side. Then from the inside I used a utility blade to cut a large enough hole in the padding to run the vacuum tubing through that hole. In an ideal world you'd use a grommet to protect this from chafing but I didn't.

I ran the + wire for the secondary pump under the passenger-side door sills (they just pull off, super easy) to the fuel hanger.

One of the more annoying parts of this install is going underneath the car and cutting the stock fuel hoses from the hard lines. We replaced both pressure and return lines with 30r9 5/16th hose.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

Nice work!
Old Mar 3, 2010, 06:56 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nice, i like the full blown piece.

cb
Old Mar 3, 2010, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

I hadn't seen a BlaqOPs how-to posted so I hope this saves someone a couple hours figuring out how to run everything.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 04:45 AM
Evolving Member

Could you just take out the white plastic piece than show in the picture inside of the red circle? What it's for?
Attached Thumbnails Custom BlaqOPs double-pump kit-fuel-pump.jpg  
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Noooo, you can't take that off. That is your siphon. That plastic looking upside down h piece uses the flow of fuel from the fuel return line to create a suction effect on the fuel line that connects the passenger side of the tank to the driver's side fuel pump assembly. This suction that is created is what pulls the gas from the passenger side of the saddle tank to the driver's side. Without that siphon your tank of gas will run out with roughly 1/4 a tank of gas showing on your gauge because the only way the gas gets over to the driver's side from the passenger side is via that suction. Also if you hook it up backwards you will get the same effect. You need to make sure you hook the h up right, if you have the longer side on the left then the suction won't work either and you'll get stranded with 1/4 of a tank sitting in the passenger side saddle.

Last edited by 05blue8; Jan 27, 2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Ok thanks,

I just installed my full blown dual pump that it's connected in one wire line of 10ga wire with one rely of 60amps and one fuse of 30amp, i have upgrade my pressure line to SS -8AN and SS -6AN return hose, well my problem is than after running 2min in idle or with the car park the SS pressure hose is heating up coming out from the tank fitting, right now my pressure is set up in 45psi due to triple clutch break in, if some on has any idea why this is happening please help.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

in the morning the hoses had 87F and after 4 min goes up to 96F but after running 20 min goes to 106F include the aluminum unit than holds the two pumps, also when the car is cold, fuel pump are quiet but after 20min or so, is getting loud include the fuel hose from the fuel rail to the fuel pressure it happen when it's set to 45psi, if i turn the pressure down the vibration noise from the hose go's away and the fuel pump noise also reduce a little be, when i was running 255 walbro in tank an 255 walbro in line i have never had that problem.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Have you ran your fuel down to E or close to it yet? I have heard these kits have an issue with the Fuel gauge not working near low levels. Did blaqops fix this?
Old May 6, 2011, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SavEVOIX
Have you ran your fuel down to E or close to it yet? I have heard these kits have an issue with the Fuel gauge not working near low levels.
I assume you're talking about the 8/9 hanger? I have the X hanger and I've had it down to blinking "refuel now" a couple of times. I've never let it completely run dry but it seems accurate enough.

My biggest problem with the X hanger is fuel starvation and it's one that I haven't solved yet. I'm thinking about removing the cup that they put on the X hanger--the 8/9 hanger doesn't have it and perhaps it is impeding fuel from getting to the pumps.