Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Review: Perrin Recirc universal BOV

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2010 | 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Tephra have you found a spot where it doesn't open to early or do the jerkiness on the freeway. If I set it soft, in lower gears if I let off in higher rpms it opens to soon. If I make it hard it jerks on the freeway in the upper gears. cant find a happy medium.
Old Aug 18, 2010 | 10:12 AM
EvoM Community Team

/subscribed was thinking of picking one of these up. Sounds like they still have some issues?
Old Aug 18, 2010 | 04:33 PM
EvoM Guru

jerking on the fwy in higher gears is an issue for me, so I just loosen it up.

that just means during gear changes you will loose some boost.

however you can reduce this by ALSO loosening up the internal piston arrester...
Old Sep 25, 2010 | 07:17 PM

thanks for the comments. i have mine rdy to be installed.
Old Sep 27, 2010 | 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

have it... I agree COMPLETELY about the intake port being WAYYYY to short to get a good clamp on it.
Old Sep 27, 2010 | 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

I'll add that I really have considered the Synapse as a switch.
Old Jun 24, 2011 | 12:29 AM
EvoM Guru

So some followup information:

1) the return port is short, but its never come off so meh whatever.. be nice if it was 5mm longer thou

2) I started to get some more jerking on the fwy recently... I tried loosing it more but its at its limit..

Today I took it apart and gave it a good clean as some fresh grease... it was pretty gummed up... So here's hoping its going to be back to normal soon...

I am still happy with it
Old Jun 24, 2011 | 07:35 AM
EvoM Community Team

Good to know, thanks for the updates tephra. You should forward these to Chris or John and see if they could update it for Rev B
Old Jul 17, 2011 | 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

I thought that I would add my experience with this BOV. I posted a multiple BOV review elsewhere so I have tried a fair number of aftermarket BOV. So far the Perrin is my favorite. On my car it requires a fair amount of adjustment to get it working smoothly. First of all I installed it with the boost behind the piston. I did it this way because it was physically easier to install in this direction. I have had no issues with the short inlet but I use T bolt clamps. So far I have found the smoothest settings to be 2.5 turns of the top cap for spring tension (2.5 turns from the cap completely unscrewed). I also found that the inner flow control bolt also needs to be adjusted. It comes from Perrin with the bolt screwed all the way in which gives it maximum blow off flow. I settled on 3.5 turns out which balances excessive blow off and compressor surge from not enough flow. I found that this setting minimized partial throttle bucking. This BOV is really under rated.
Old Jul 17, 2011 | 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tephra
So some followup information:

... some fresh grease... it was pretty gummed up... So here's hoping its going to be back to normal soon...

I am still happy with it
What brand/kind of grease did use if you dont mind me asking?
Old Jul 17, 2011 | 08:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Perrin say they use lithium grease from napa...

I have to recheck mine because I think my grease dries out, whereas some lithium greases maintain their viscosity...
Old Sep 18, 2011 | 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Hopefully Tephra doesn't mind but I figured I would add my Perrin experience update. I gave up trying to eliminate part throttle boost jerking at highway speeds. Tightening the spring preload raises the point where the blow off occurs but it still occurs. If you go too tight, you eventually get compressor surge. 2.5 turns of spring preload is pretty much the minimum preload without the cap coming off or leaking boost. At that preload my car would blow off at partial throttle boost around 60-65 mph in 5th gear. If I go to 3 turns, the blow off point would go to 70 mph. 4 turns is 80 mph or so. Past that point you start to get surge. So I gave up.

I took a chance and bought the Cobb XLE BPV. This BPV is absolutely perfect (except price). Holds boost, drives like stock out of the box. Zero part throttle jerking. I tried to induce it, I couldn't. So far I recommend it above all other BOV on the market for modded Evo VIII/IX's.
Old Sep 18, 2011 | 08:09 AM
EvoM Guru

yeh I am fighting this at the moment actually.

Ages ago I regreased my BOV but it is still causing FWY jerkiness.

I pulled it all apart again and put a lot less grease on (ie almost none) and now the piston moves a bit nicer. I havn't driven it yet to see if its better...

Anyways I have an email into Perrin on a few things, so I will see what they say about it...
Old Sep 18, 2011 | 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

I have made an observation on the 2 aftermarket BOV with no driveability issues: APS and Cobb. Both designs have a rubber O-ring design on the piston. I suspect that the O-ring actually slows piston response which prevents fluttering and jerking. All the other designs have a simple machined pistons and designs which are just metal on metal.
Old Sep 18, 2011 | 09:04 AM
EvoM Guru

My perrin has 1 rubber oring on the piston.

there is a slot for a 2nd, which is one of my Q's to Perrin... is there meant to be 2 orings?

Quick Reply: Review: Perrin Recirc universal BOV