Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

2010 AMSOIL Track Review - 929's Evo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 AMSOIL Track Review - 929's Evo

I know some of you have been following my initial thread (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...ck-review.html) which started back in the summer of 2009 and detailed my use and progression of AMSOIL products.

Welcome to the 2010 AMSOIL Ongoing Review!

Overall changes for 2010 are relatively minor with respect to power and suspension. I'll be running different tires, rims, rotors, alignment & suspension setups but by and large everything is the same.

My car now has about 22,500 miles which includes about 45 days on track. It's ranged in power from the stock ~240whp to 360whp with a majority of it's life spent running 300-315whp with equal torque. If you want to see the highlights of my setup: http://www.amsperformance.com/n_pitcher.php

The plan is to continue to run AMSOIL 10w30 'Dominator' in the engine. Last year I kept up my insane maintenance schedule and changed the engine oil usually after every track weekend. This year we're going to push the change interval levels a little farther out and continue to perform oil analysis tests and share those results here.

I'm also looking to squeeze out any extra time with braking on the track. Along with the proper rotors & pads, a big part of my setup is AMSOIL DOT4. I posted an initial review (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...ck-review.html) but will include any relevant 2010 data here. After running the last 1/2 of the season with it last year, I still love the stuff and highly highly recommend it.

Along with the temps, I am becoming increasingly concerned will oil possible oil starvation issues as the car picks up more and more speed and turns higher constant G's. I have hooked up an oil pressure gauge and do plan on monitoring oil pressures as well.

So bookmark this thread and stay tuned for some detailed analysis as the 2010 track season progresses. If you've got any specific questions, feel free to post up! I'm sure Andy will frequent the threads with suggestions and advice as well. He's been super helpful to me!

Last edited by boomn29; Apr 20, 2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read your blog and you did very well. What is the difference between TTB and TTS? The new rims look nice, what where you running previously for rims?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fixem2
Read your blog and you did very well. What is the difference between TTB and TTS? The new rims look nice, what where you running previously for rims?
Thx.

TT rules can be confusing, so stick with me.

Every car has a 'base' class and every class has a max power/weight ratio to be legal. Starting from your base class you can mod it up, but every mod costs you certain points. So to stay legal in your class, you have to track your mod points and your power/weight ratio. It's your job to choose wisely (power, suspension, tires being the biggies) as once you add enough points you start jumping up classes! TTF is the lowest with TTA being the highest here. Beyond that there's the pure power/weight classes and TTS is one of those. These classes can get expensive to play in with regards to suspension and aero as there are NO LIMITS.

Ratios:
TTB power/weight max: 10.25:1 --> limited by point modifications
TTA power/weight max: 8.7: 1 --> limited by point modifications
TTS power/weight max: 8.7: 1 --> unlimited modifications

My car - 2006 IX GSR - starts in TTB. I chose to max it out there for 2009 and will spend 2010 here most of the time as well. I feel it's a good spot for my car and it's proven competitive here with other TTB prepped cars. So essentially, TTS is 2 classes above my prep level. I did make a few changes to try and close the TTB -> TTS prep gap, but it's not like I can slap on a spare turbo and dial in the power or pull out 200 lbs of weight to get near the max ratio all that easily!

For more info, check out NASA's website: http://www.nasa-tt.com/About

Last edited by boomn29; Apr 20, 2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, lets dig right into some 2010 numbers with regards to peak oil temps.

For comparison's sake, last year I seen peak temps in the 250-272 degree range. The varied widely based on the track and driving conditions. Mainly it seemed high rpm driving, like that above 6500 rpm's seemed to drive up the temps.
  • Engine Oil: AMSOIL 10w30 Dominator
  • Stock block, stock cams, stock head, etc
  • Gas: 93oct pump
  • Tune: AMS custom reflash

Since I had a new clutch put in, I have been trying to put some break-in miles on the car. Plus it's nice just to drive it! Normal boring interstate cruising will bring my oil temps to ~190 degrees. Throw in a bit of spirited driving and temps will run around 200.

Last week with ambient temps in the 70's finally I was driving the car around and got a little spirited with a few pulls and got the oil temps up to a peak of 210-215. By pulls, nothing crazy speed wise, just some 2-3 pulls and a little 4th really and keeping it safe. I think I've put about 200 street miles on the new clutch and current fill of oil.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 01:20 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nathan thank you for your continued support.

lets get some records at the track and also supply this community with some good usefull data during the course of this season.

def looking foward to this year's oil analysis labs, as last years the labs were super clean taking into concideration how hard the motor was pushed during track time.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
Nathan thank you for your continued support.

lets get some records at the track and also supply this community with some good usefull data during the course of this season.

def looking foward to this year's oil analysis labs, as last years the labs were super clean taking into concideration how hard the motor was pushed during track time.
^^ Right on! ^^

First 2010 track event in the books!

Just wanted to post up a quick report from my first event of 2010. Ambient temps were around 65 both days. Oil temps held around 240 degrees with a highest peak of 245 over the weekend. Keep in mind this is very hard road-racing with frequent WOT and high rpm applications.
AMSOIL 10w30 'Dominator' oil in the engine.

As I started earlier for reference, I was driving the car around Thursday before the event and got a little spirited with a few pulls and got the oil temps up to 210-215.

Full race report here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...tb-record.html
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:16 AM
Account Disabled

Nathan,

exceed in expectations here, right on.

Dominator 10W30 race oil is doing its job and what the design of this oil claims it actually shows at the track, what better data than a race car putting a product through its paces.

Originally Posted by boomn29
^^ Right on! ^^

First 2010 track event in the books!

Just wanted to post up a quick report from my first event of 2010. Ambient temps were around 65 both days. Oil temps held around 240 degrees with a highest peak of 245 over the weekend. Keep in mind this is very hard road-racing with frequent WOT and high rpm applications.
AMSOIL 10w30 'Dominator' oil in the engine.

As I started earlier for reference, I was driving the car around Thursday before the event and got a little spirited with a few pulls and got the oil temps up to 210-215.

Full race report here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...tb-record.html
Old Apr 24, 2010, 06:04 PM
Account Disabled

Nathan has some good reviews from the track comming up soon, stay tunned guys and gals
Old May 3, 2010, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
Nathan has some good reviews from the track comming up soon, stay tunned guys and gals
Between events is the time to fix things, do further maintenance and any upgrades you might have. Thx to the reliability of AMSOIL, I really don't have much to do. I'm leaving the engine oil in for another event as we're trying to extend the change intervals as compared to last year. Right now it has about 200 miles of street driving and 2 track days on it. We plan to drop it after this next 2 day event and send it in for analysis. Also thx to AMSOIL DOT4 brake fluid, I don't even feel the need to bleed the brakes! Love that...

Next event is in 2 weeks. It'll be a good one to test/punish the engine as far as high rpm's and high temps as concerned. It's the same track where I seen my highest temps last year; just over 270 degrees peak.
Old May 3, 2010, 02:31 PM
Account Disabled

Between events is the time to fix things, do further maintenance and any upgrades you might have. Thx to the reliability of AMSOIL, I really don't have much to do. I'm leaving the engine oil in for another event as we're trying to extend the change intervals as compared to last year. Right now it has about 200 miles of street driving and 2 track days on it. We plan to drop it after this next 2 day event and send it in for analysis. Also thx to AMSOIL DOT4 brake fluid, I don't even feel the need to bleed the brakes! Love that...

Next event is in 2 weeks. It'll be a good one to test/punish the engine as far as high rpm's and high temps as concerned. It's the same track where I seen my highest temps last year; just over 270 degrees peak.
The brake fluid really did very well for you and your car, DOT4 Series 600 is hands down a great hydraulic fluid, it takes a lot to heat her up
Old May 3, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Seems that the DOT4 brake fluid is priced right - I'll be adding that to my AMSOIL list
Old May 4, 2010, 09:02 AM
Account Disabled

I think this is the furthest we have pushed the Racing Dominator 10W30 on your car, with many track days in it and street driving, i am very confident and know what to expect.
Old May 4, 2010, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meanmud
Seems that the DOT4 brake fluid is priced right - I'll be adding that to my AMSOIL list
I really do like it.

Here's a recent thread - that I commented in - where the OP has what sounds like the same exact 'mushy pedal' issues I had BEFORE my switch to AMSOIL DOT4:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8267862-post23.html
Old May 7, 2010, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Next event - the torture test - is in a week. Entry list shows about 26 cars in TT already; 4 in my group so we should have a nice full 1.8 mile track.

I actually plan on taking 2 different setups (setup #2 will be trading hp for more tire) to this event. The latter will hopefully raise my cornering g's even higher than the ~1.2g constant (1.3g-1.35g peak) that I've been seeing. With more g's comes more engine protection needed through the oil; and that's what this thread is all about!

It should be interesting to see the results....

Last edited by boomn29; May 7, 2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old May 7, 2010, 06:24 AM
Account Disabled

Nathan, looking foward to this

i remember us talking about this higher G's cornering concern, i have a few more ideas they might mean dirty work but may help this.

i definately have no doubt in AMSOIL's Racing Dominator 10W30, as we put it through the paces last year you really hammered the bananas out of it and always came back from the lab without a hickup, and this year pushing it even harder WOW !

Racing Dominator has some crazy additives and its properties are non to compare with anything out there, what i like so much about it is that it leaves a film track that maintains everything lubed all the time ( Anti wear additives are very high as you have seen in the labs PPM 1200+ )

Quick Reply: 2010 AMSOIL Track Review - 929's Evo