Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

General Rambling about Fidanza, Modern Auto Performance, Clutch masters.......

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2010, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General Rambling about Fidanza, Modern Auto Performance, Clutch masters.......

So I wasn't going to write this review until everything was finished. April 12 or so, I sterted having issues with my clutch popping out and the pedal going to the floor. This was with my new Fidanza 4.3 Ceramic clutch kit. I would have to get out, take my hand and lock the clutch fork back into position. This started happening at least once a day. After the big race at VMP, which I won by the way, it became apparent that I busted a few diff pins. After contemplating on the Buschar Racing kit or having John Shephard build it up, I decided to send it to John.

I thought this would be a good time to contact Modern and Fidanza to resolve the matter with the clutch. Adam at Modern was extremley helpful and gave me the contact at Fidanza to speak with. The tech guy at Fidanza sounded as if the problem could be fixed over the phone, that is until pieces of the release bearing wear found in the bottmom of the bell housing. He advised me to send the assembly in and see if they could determine a fault. He said if there was, they would refund or replace the clutch.

The next day I contacted Modern, speaking once again with Adam, he said to get the tracking info to him where I fedex'd it off and he would send another one asap. Well come to find out, they didnt have any in stock. Neither did Fidanza. Fidanza stated it would be a two to three week wait for a new clutch. This was unacceptable to me. The tech did call me back 2 days later to say that there was a fault in the clutch and they would refund Modern so I could get a refund. However Adam had already taken matters in his own hands and overnighted a new Clutch Masters FX400 kit to me.

There was another problem with the original Fidanza 4.3 clutch kit that bothered me very badly. The lightweight flywheel made a horrible shrill noise when you went to start it. Speaking with the tech guy once again at Fidanza, he asked me to check the ring gear to see if it was backward. Guess what. It was. He didnt have one to send out to me, not in stock....so I unbolted the ring, heated it up, and popped it off. I put it all back together and it seemed pretty straight. Did I mention I now needed a new Flywheel insert? Oh yeah. So once again I called Fidanza to see if the could work out a deal for me. He said the normally sell them for $70, But he could let me have it for $20 plus shipping. Of COURSE they didnt have one to send out and said it would be about a week or so. Well two weeks later I call to find out where it is. Guess what? It is sitting on the shelf! He said he would get it right out to me. I explained I would need it over nighted to me. No problem he said, $55. Fine send it. So I got it installed and I am driving her once again.

Did I mention my diff went to John Shephard? I recieved a call from John apparently the day it arrived. He called to apologize and stated that it wasnt rebuildable do to a couple of pins being welded to the spider gears. We then made the decision to start with a brand new Diff and mod it to make it bulletproof. I could not be happier with the service I got from John and his employees. Very curteous and polite, extremely knowledgable!

As for Fidanza, they got the last penny out of me they will ever see. Questionable workmanship on all counts, No lateral support for customers, and I am wondering if they arent just a marketing company. Think twice and research heavily before ultimatly deciding on their products.

Modern Auto Performance. A top notch company who stands behind what they sell, even when it could have been pawned off. I will do much more bussiness with them.

Clutch Masters FX400. Very smooth engagment. Much smoother than the 4.3 from Fidanza. Still braking it in so I dont know about the performance aspect yet.

Redline Heavyweight Shockproof oil. Put it in my transfer case and mixed it 50/50 in my trans. No grind between gears at all.

I know this is a long post, but I don't want to see anyone making the same mistakes as me. The 4.3 did hold all the power I put to it, but the head ache of the failure, and the way it was handled turned me off for good.
Old May 14, 2010, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Glad to see you got everything worked out. Would you mind pm'ing me the price on getting your diff done with john? I'm intested in getting some work done on mine before I add to much more power.

Last edited by Gexxer; May 14, 2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: spelling....
Old May 14, 2010, 06:19 PM

Not at all. Pm coming your way!
Old May 14, 2010, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

MAPerformance has usually done well with me through the years. But as with all things, nothing/no one is perfect. A friend of mine ordered a rear Whiteline sway bar from them recently. MAP had it dropped shipped to his address. But to his surprise, he received an empty box.

Instead of resolving this problem, Adam at MAP told him that it was his problem now. And that he had to go after the shipping company on his own. And that was that...
Old May 14, 2010, 07:05 PM

Wow that sucks.
Old May 15, 2010, 08:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OP: I'm very sorry to hear about your issues, but at the same time I am happy to hear that you were pleased with our service. I honestly think you were one of very few that have had issues with the Fidanza product, but I certainly understand your frustration with the warranty / replacement process.

Originally Posted by cpunlamd
MAPerformance has usually done well with me through the years. But as with all things, nothing/no one is perfect. A friend of mine ordered a rear Whiteline sway bar from them recently. MAP had it dropped shipped to his address. But to his surprise, he received an empty box.

Instead of resolving this problem, Adam at MAP told him that it was his problem now. And that he had to go after the shipping company on his own. And that was that...
I'm tempted to post the conversation that Adam had with this customer via instant messenger, but I don't think it would be appropriate. The way this customer treated my salesman was simply unacceptable (profane language, yelling, etc.) and I instructed Adam to cease communication with the customer. To outline the situation for those that are interested, the customer ordered a whiteline swaybar from us that was drop shipped from a whiteline warehouse with an initial weight of 15lbs. The customer claims to have received an empty box, however there were no signs of damage. We advised the customer that the package was fully insured and that he would simply have to file a claim with UPS as the recipient (we are a third party in this particular scenario and we couldn't file the claim for him even if we wanted to) and go through the insurance process in hopes of obtaining a refund. For some reason he was not happy with that and felt that swearing / yelling at us would lead to a more expedient resolution.
Old May 18, 2010, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the reply Chris. Your company has always been incredibly professional. Adam is a great guy to work with and the one problem that I have ever had with anything I have ever purchased from you was handled seemlessly.

I guess it was just a Friday clutch kit. It happens.