Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Labonte Motorsports Methanol Injection Kit

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2010, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Labonte Motorsports Methanol Injection Kit

Background - I have a 2006 MR with the modification in my signature. I had been running an SMC kit for a while and was having signs the pump was failing. I started researching new pump designs and found the Aquatec to be one of a few that was designed for Methanol injection. Initially m thought was to just replace the pump and keep the SMC controller. After much debate, I decided to replace the entire system with the Labonte kit (high boost) - all Labonte kits use the Aquatec pump.

Initial Impressions - The kit is packaged very neatly and the instructions are super straight forward and easy to follow. The Aquatec pump is massive compared to the SMC pump - both in size and weight. The controller is designed such that it can be placed in the engine bay - I chose to place mine behind the radio.

Installation Summary - Super easy! I ran new (2) 16 gauge wires to the trunk - one for the pump power and one for the level switch ground. I would recommend running two wires even if you don't start with a level switch, just in case later you choose to get one. The other wiring was super basic - connecting to switched power, ground, LEDs, and solenoid. The hardest part of the installation was figuring out where / how I wanted to mount the pump. Ideally I could have mounted it in the cubby hole in the trunk, but I could not seem to get it to fit so I just mounted it in the trunk corner (see picture). Then I ran a new fuel hose (quick disconnect) under the car, using the brake line suuport, and then up into the engine bay. I also added two YELLOW LEDS to the setup to get my (or my wife's) attention should the methanol level get low (see picture) - these are just grounded to the switch (one of the wires I ran to the trunk).

The kit is working great - much better than the SMC. I am now spraying more liquid than before even with the same size nozzle (#10) because better pressure. The build quality of the pump and controller appear to be super solid and should last quite a long time (longer than the car ??). I really like the quick disconnect fuel line feature, but wish the line were steel braided like my previous setup.

Customer Support - Dan at Labonte is just awesome! He spent a bunch of time with me answering questions and helping me with my decisions. Honestly for me I went with Labonte for a couple reasons - (1) great service reputation , (2) they have been designing kits / controllers for other companies for many many years (private label) and they know the ins/outs of injection - much like Aquamist, and (3) their kits are reasonably priced.

I've been driving with the new setup for a little more than a week now and love it. No leaks and consistent flow!

In terms of failsafes - I am using a Zeitronix and in the process of setting up Tephra v7. Frankly I think everyone should use Tephra v7 and the Zeitronix saved me with the SMC kit, so I am biased with it as well.

Last edited by cij911; May 30, 2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old May 30, 2010, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Pictures
Attached Thumbnails Labonte Motorsports Methanol Injection Kit-evo-001.jpg   Labonte Motorsports Methanol Injection Kit-evo-002.jpg   Labonte Motorsports Methanol Injection Kit-evo-003.jpg   Labonte Motorsports Methanol Injection Kit-evo-004.jpg   Labonte Motorsports Methanol Injection Kit-evo-005.jpg  

Last edited by cij911; May 30, 2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old May 30, 2010, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

In for pics, thanks for writing a decent review and maybe come back in a few months and update us? Thanks

Josh
Old May 30, 2010, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had nothing but good experiences with Dan at Labonte and his kit, I've been running one for probably over a year now. GL and keep us updated.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 07:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Awesome kit! I made the switch from SMC to Labonte myself, I liked them so much I sell them now.. The failsafe is worth every penny to put your mind at ease.

Theres really no need for the steel braided line... I suggest that when you pull the line out of the plug you clip the very tip of it so it gets a fresh seal each time. For installs I suggest you grab some wire loom for the tight places the hose runs though for extra protection.

Cheers!
Old Jun 1, 2010, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dan is by far one of the most personable nice guy I've dealt with. He has been extremely helpful in my Labonte set up as well. Can't wait to get my clutch in so I can turn the boost back up
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am selling the Stage III kit Meth Kit ( NOT Coolingmist or Snow ). nothing wrong with it at all, i just decided to keep things simple on my car is all. the kit was only part way installed and i have everything to include the derections. like the poster says this kit is super easy to install and from everything i have read its a great kit! here is a link to where i have it posted. ( http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-engin...-meth-kit.html ) Mods, if i have done anything wrong in this post please let me know. just thought since this guy did a good wright up on the kit i would through my link in here. thanks

Last edited by jackthisnot; Nov 18, 2010 at 07:54 AM.