Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

PERRIN Performance PSRS review

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2010, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I had a lot of similar experiences as what you posted, but I picked up a tougher-to-turn steering wheel when I increased caster. My large tires were rubbing on the back end of the fenders before the PSRS mod, so after it pushed the wheels forward, I no longer have rub anywhere.

(post 51 and 59)
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...vs-caster.html
Old Jun 18, 2010, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
^ Thanks for sharing your experience. I read your other posts and it sounds very similar to what I have experienced for the most part. . .

I ran a NASA HPDE at Blackhawk Farms raceway in South Beloit, IL last weekend. I was running my normal "autocross" alignment just with the added caster from the Perrin PSRS kit. The car felt amazing. I was worried that having a little toe out in the rear would cause the car to be squirrly on braking and corner entry but it was dead solid. Turn-in was unbelieveable thanks to the PSRS kit giving me a better contact patch with the wheels turned and also my DHP splitter/undertray making great downforce at speed. In fact the car was so well balanced - the couple times I threw it into a corner too hot, or got on the gas too hard coming out of a corner - it felt like all 4 wheels slid in unison at the same rate. . . Never felt like it wanted to push to the outside of a turn or come around on me.

Man, I can't wait to get back out!! Autocross this weekend, then a National Tour and Pro Solo in July, then back to MidOhio the end of July I believe!

EVOlutionary

p.s. I should have a review of the Perrin rear sway bar with Stout Mount up soon. Going to play around with some settings/adjustments over the next couple events. . . but overall impressions so far . . .
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand the need for the PSRS on cars that are being tracked or raced often, as someone who uses the evo more for daily driving would i see a benefit to the regular adjustable PSRS over the zero? i really don't plan on tracking the car a lot being the daily driver and they are both the same price....
Old Jul 5, 2010, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

To be honest, I would not use any open spherical bearings on a daily driver. I recommend staying with poly bushings and/or sealed balljoints. . .
Old Jul 5, 2010, 03:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mikerock
I understand the need for the PSRS on cars that are being tracked or raced often, as someone who uses the evo more for daily driving would i see a benefit to the regular adjustable PSRS over the zero? i really don't plan on tracking the car a lot being the daily driver and they are both the same price....
The benefits people are seeing on the track can be beneficial to "street" people as well. Who doesn't want more grip? I usually recommend the unit with the added caster for street or track unless you are in a race class that does not allow such a change. I will recommend the ZERO unit if you are the type of person that has large tires and are afraid of the possibility of rubbing the fender liner, this will not happen with stock wheels and tires.

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
To be honest, I would not use any open spherical bearings on a daily driver. I recommend staying with poly bushings and/or sealed balljoints. . .
I totally agree with the concept BUT we have NEVER had a problem with these failing or causing unintended noise. We have been running this exact kind of set up on many street and track cars with zero problems. FYI we have been making similar parts for the 2005-2009 Legacy, 2008-2010 WRX/STI and the 2002-2010 Mini Cooper. So with that track record and that many samples out in the real world I am very confident in this part.

THANKS FOR THE EXCELLENT REVIEWS!
Old Jul 5, 2010, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Guess I should have qualified my answer by saying that I would not recommend open spherical bearings for "high mileage, high contamination" driving. For example, someone who lives in northern Michigan who drives their car 30,000 miles a year and all through the winter and lives on a dirt road. For someone living in Phoenix and doing 10-15000 miles I say, SURE, go for it.

You can get 100,000 miles out of a poly bushing, but I doubt any open spherical bearing will last that long no matter the quality of materials.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

I have been running this for about a year and yes mine do make noise and force me to re-lube the bearing every so often -gets annoying.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Ran my first AutoX with the Perrin PSRS installed this weekend. Turn in was absolutely amazing.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Nice! What kind of tire and suspension setup are you running? Stockish or highly modified? Glad you liked it!!
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Nice! What kind of tire and suspension setup are you running? Stockish or highly modified? Glad you liked it!!
Basically I have an STU prep car with some geometry correction. 245/40-17 Ecsta XS, Ohlins DFV's 10k/12k springs, whiteline bushings, roll center correction, rear bumpsteer eliminator, whiteline rear sway bar/endlinks and Ferrodo DS2500 pads. Tune and engine are stock.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Any chance of getting some sort of dustshield? I've noticed mine makes noises and when I check the unit, there is generally small pebbles stuck in between the chassis/PSRS bushing; when cleaned out, noise decreases.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inco9nito99
Any chance of getting some sort of dustshield? I've noticed mine makes noises and when I check the unit, there is generally small pebbles stuck in between the chassis/PSRS bushing; when cleaned out, noise decreases.
The magic question is.....

are these durable enough to with stand the elements of daily driving in the upper mid west? Very interested in these pieces.

Hey Kunal...
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A dustboot would be an excellent addition....
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes I would totally install these if there was a dustboot option.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thats a broken link, please fix!
Originally Posted by PERRIN_JOHN
Thanks for the review and post.

Click HERE For The PERRIN Instructions On Line

Quick Reply: PERRIN Performance PSRS review