Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

CBRD Speedfactory (and APS Twin Vent BOV)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2010, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CBRD Speedfactory (and APS Twin Vent BOV)

Earlier this summer I had my BBK Full, GSC S2s, Grimmspeed 3-port EBCS and other goodies installed/tuned by a local shop. The final numbers on a Mustang Dyno were 344 whp/330 lb-ft. While it felt quick, I suspected that the car was capable of more power. More to the point, it didn't seem particularly healthy. The local tuner told me that it was knocking badly and after doing some logs with a local member, we confirmed 14 counts of knock . I was also unhappy with how the car sometimes cold-started and idled. And though I picked the BBK Full because I wanted stock spool above all else, I was disappointed to see that I did notice some extra lag. I knew that if anyone could make my BBK-powered Evo run right, Chad Block was the guy.

My brother and I set off on the 10-hour drive to CBRD on Thursday night and got back last night. I was up for nearly 48 hours straight but it was well worth it. I expected upon getting to CBRD that the car would go straight on the dyno for its new tune, as that is what we agreed on. However, Chad and the guys first popped the hood to make sure everything was running right. To my surprise, they found a substantial boost leak. Chad explained that this could very well explain the knock I was having. Boost leak = turbo has to push more air to reach desired psi = pushing hot air = knock. They also discovered that only two ports of the 3-port Grimmspeed EBCS were hooked up. Less than an hour later, the issues were fixed and the car was ready for the dyno.

Of course different dynos read differently, but considering my beginning/ending numbers were both on Mustangs, I can still say there was an improvement immediately. Before long the car was sitting at 368 whp/340 lb-ft, up from 344/330 on the local dyno. More importantly, it was spooling around 200 rpm quicker than it had on the local dyno! But Chad wasn't happy. The car was still knocking up top and he was confident it could do more if we could get rid of the knocking. We discussed what I could try changing to address this and were about to unstrap the car from the dyno when Chad had an idea.

The OEM diverter valve was replaced with an APS Twin Vent BOV that they had in the shop. On the very first pull, with no further adjustments made, the car hit 393 whp at 30 psi with only 2 counts of knock . While not ideal, this was a lot less knock than I had with only 345 whp before.

Because this is my daily driver and I had a fun 700 mile drive home ahead of me, Chad kicked boost down to 28 psi and the final numbers were 376 whp/345 lb-ft. No knock WHATSOEVER. And compared to the 368 whp run with the stock DV, the car picked up power/torque throughout nearly the entire rev range, not just peak. I wouldn't have believed that the APS made such a big difference if I didn't see it with my own eyes.

Chad informed me that the APS Twin Vent is no longer in production and every one they had at the shop was spoken for. Rather than make me drive all the way home on the stocker and then have to find a used one, however, he made the call to put one on my car and find another one for a car that would be in the shop for a while. Talk about customer service.

The biggest surprise was how awesome the car was on the drive home. I immediately felt that it is a lot smoother and idles better. When I started it this morning, it immediately jumped to life and settled into a nice, lopey idle. No more hard cranking and watching AFRs at idle for me. And with the BBK running right I am now positive that I chose the right turbo. Transient response is RIDICULOUS. I found myself stuck behind a truck on a few occasions and had no problem passing in 6th gear even from 40 mph. And of course, it's quite fast.

I really want to thank Chad and the rest of the CBRD crew. I came in only for a tune and left with a car free of the mechanical issues I didn't even know it had. From free pizza to taking a half hour to show me intricate details on the Time Attack car, these guys go above and beyond when it comes to taking care of their customers. I can honestly say I'm jealous of those of you who call them a local shop. I have a feeling this won't be my last road trip to CBRD.

Here's the final graph. APS Twin Vent vs stock DV.

50,000 miles!

Dawn in Pennsylvania. I like fog.

On the dyno.

And a dyno vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz5-ZlRDx1I
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good stuff. I love my APS BOV. And that's pretty good power gain too
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Also got another dyno up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivhernapcxM
Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
LOL I don't know why but when I saw the first vid of your car on the dyno it seemed as if it was taking a fat rip out of a bong

nice power btw and I thought I was hardcore for driving 450miles to get tuned by Bryan @ GST
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congratulations on waking up your car! CBRD is worth the drive everytime.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
congrats on the new power! great work Chad!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:49 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for making the trip Damian!

Glad we were able to help!

was nice seeing a 393 whp pull even lifting at 6100 rpm lol!

cheers

cb
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow that was a nice review happy to hear the great results, big ups to cbrd !!

im getting some mods together rite now just waiting for a few more things then ill be taking a small trip to cbrd for retune "4hr drive" it looks like a really good shop and im looking forward to going there.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Awesome...and this is why I am purchasing a BBK-B and Chad will be tuning it...obviously he knows his turbos best...
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Nice numbers. I've been running the APS on my last 2 Evos. It has worked great. I just take it apart every few months to clean and regrease. In the winter time, it can start to stick a little and cause fluttering. Definitely holds the boost though.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by DEL TURBO
Nice numbers. I've been running the APS on my last 2 Evos. It has worked great. I just take it apart every few months to clean and regrease. In the winter time, it can start to stick a little and cause fluttering. Definitely holds the boost though.
any tips on disassembly and re-greasing...type of grease?

tks

i plan to make a trip to CBRD one day!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 05:09 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Just curious, was your stock BOV crushed, or no?
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
Just curious, was your stock BOV crushed, or no?
Stock.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

I have read over the years that the APS leaks. I have had mine since 2005 and it is leak free after I have performed countless leak tests and damn near everything else has leaked at some point. Good stuff!

PS: It sounds pretty cool too...haha

PPS: I am glad I get to call them my local shop.

Last edited by TURBevO8; Aug 24, 2010 at 05:11 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

There shop looks awesome. Its so clean the five second rule for dropped food on their floor doesn't count. Congrats buddy.

Quick Reply: CBRD Speedfactory (and APS Twin Vent BOV)