Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

WORKS Short Shifter Review - Buy It.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2010, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WORKS Short Shifter Review - Buy It.

I will preface this with a warning: I am very passionate about shifting gears. To me, a great transmission is the ultimate driver interface and speaks to the cars personality. I thought the Evo box was good from the factory, but I was looking make it perfect.

I had previously installed an eBay short throw and absolutely hated it (see this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...s-garbage.html). After a lot of research, I wanted a shorter shifter with no compromises; that is it had to sit in the boot properly and shift properly, so I ordered the WORKS shifter.

After having the eBay lever on the car for almost 2 weeks, I was relieved to say the least when the WORKS shifter showed up on my doorstep on Saturday. I installed it Sunday morning. Reasons to buy the WORKS shifter:

- beautifully made, like stock but shorter in length.
- includes a new ball retainer-cup, so you don't have to ruin your stock lever (like I did)
- features pre-lubed linkage cups that have almost no resistance, just like stock
- fits PERFECTLY
- sits like stock, except shorter
- glass smooth
- perfect reduction in throws, not too short, not a noticeable increase in shift effort

To describe the current transmission setup on the car: Buscher solid underhood bushings, eBay solid console bushings, and the WORKS lever, stock leather knob. I installed the Buscher underhood bushings several weeks ago, but never lubricated them, so I was getting some binding and resistance in the throws, but I wasn't sure if it was all attributed to the bushings or the eBay lever. I installed the WORKS lever and about half of this effort went away, but it wasn't perfect, still a bit too much resistance and not as smooth as I expected. So, I got a small can of WD-40 and lubed the underhood bushings.

Instantly, the shifting was perfect. I literally mean perfect. There is ZERO play in the linkage and the throws are short, precise, and dead-accurate. I have driven many sports cars and few have the accuracy and precision of this gearbox. Yes, it's takes some effort to move the lever but other than that, it's glass smooth.

I took the car for a light canyon workout and the throw reduction is awesome. I quickly learned to adjust my heel/toe rhythm to suit the quicker throws, but it's just amazing, "lever action smooth".

I'm totally satisfied with the WORKS shifter and would recommend it to anyone looking for a short shifter with ZERO drawbacks or compromises. It only makes the car more enjoyable (and more efficient) to drive. If you are going to buy a short shifter, this is the one.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

good write up,
what is the price on the Works unit?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have any pictures of it installed on the car? I would like to see before and after pics if you have them.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by -Evo Aaron-
good write up,
what is the price on the Works unit?
Sounds like a good buy, what is the price on it?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had this short shifter for over 20K miles and it's great. Paired with the WORKS shift knob or the weighted Ralliart knob I got, it's great. Even the stock shift knob, it's cool. I'd recommend it as well if you are looking for a short shifter.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Works short throw and in-car bushings, brass bushings on the trans, and a rebuilt shep trans. Put all of those together and you have a direct feel for what the transmission is doing. Great input and tactile feedback. Smooth as butter with fast shifts.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvolutinIX
Sounds like a good buy, what is the price on it?
http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...oducts_id=1793
Old Sep 8, 2010, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

I currently have the eBay shifter (AKA Fidanza), and so do many others. I have been very happy with my purchase.

The trimming of the housing took about 1 minute and 30 seconds to do with a dremel.

If you use loctite on the set screws and tighten them properly, they will not come loose.

For $34 shipped with base bushings included, the eBay (Fidanza) unit can't be beat.

I'm glad you are happy with your WORKS shifter!
Old Sep 8, 2010, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

I have heard that having a short shifter push pressure on the shift input bearing and prematurely wearing it out. Is this true? I like the idea of having a short shifter but not interested in compromising a freshly rebuild tranny.

In the past I have had the underhood solid AMS shifter bushings and they bound up like crazy and I think it contributed to the premature damage to the tranny but I dont know, I know that I didnt like them and probably wouldnt do it again. I also lubed the living hell out of them and still no dice... anyone else experience the same with the AMS ones for a 6spd?
Old Sep 8, 2010, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
I have heard that having a short shifter push pressure on the shift input bearing and prematurely wearing it out. Is this true? I like the idea of having a short shifter but not interested in compromising a freshly rebuild tranny.

In the past I have had the underhood solid AMS shifter bushings and they bound up like crazy and I think it contributed to the premature damage to the tranny but I dont know, I know that I didnt like them and probably wouldnt do it again. I also lubed the living hell out of them and still no dice... anyone else experience the same with the AMS ones for a 6spd?
remove the bushings and put some anti-seize on them. Even go as far as to clean the bushing and hole on the shifter arm with some scotchbrite before applying.

I've had the BR ones for the 6sp for about 4 years now. I never had a problem with them, I have them coated with anti-seize though.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

I'm was loooking into this shifter along with the AMS solid tranny bushings. And this deff help make my decision! Thanks for the review!

How much were you able to get it for?
Old Sep 8, 2010, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

I had the Perrin short shifter and went back to stock. The shorter throw of course increased the effort needed, but I felt the need to have to "force" it into gear most of the time. I love the smoothness of the stock one and now that I've gone back it feels like it just sucks it into gear with the stock one. Now that I am back to stock, I have no more missed 1st-2nd shifts like I did with the short shifter. I too have heard about stress that short shifters can cause as well. I tried it and didnt like it. Others may be the opposite. I am really thinking about trying this Works. It sounds good!

Last edited by I4UnderPressure; Jan 27, 2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
remove the bushings and put some anti-seize on them. Even go as far as to clean the bushing and hole on the shifter arm with some scotchbrite before applying.

I've had the BR ones for the 6sp for about 4 years now. I never had a problem with them, I have them coated with anti-seize though.
Did that, I antiseized them up pretty good and it helped for a short period but them got though again so I just popped them out... oh well 5spd time very shortly
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:02 AM

i also love the works short throw!!
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:41 AM

great review

Quick Reply: WORKS Short Shifter Review - Buy It.