Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

STM - The real truth.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sleeper04
damn great write up , im in germany STM got me a set of brake pads in 5 days which i though was quick o and they even sent some halloween candy !!
I just ordered Hawk pads yesterday from STM, love the fast shipping to Germany!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't get any candy! And I'm a fat boy! WTF! A twinky something!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your mod path was obviously WRONG haha,dont get mad.lol

good write up
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

It wasn't wrong persey, but it was overly complicated.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 05:16 PM

Awesome writeup! Way to go STM!
Old Nov 5, 2010, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

So heres my new story for today.

It's fricken cold out in Buffalo, NY. Like.. 20's cold.

After a long day of work in the cold I finally get to hop in the evo and hike it home. Smooth sailing... For a while.

While driving along my car just seemed to... putter out and die. I nurse my car to the side of the road. First thoughts are... What. The. ****.

After I gain my calm I begin to diagnose the problem. I know speed density depends on only two sensors. The MAP and the IAT. First thing I do is check my connections, which all seemed good. I checked for vac leaks, which there was none visible. Seeing as the IAT is pretty simple (And new) I narrow it down to a dead EMS or map sesnsor (used).

My diagnosis really didn't do me much good for being stranded though. Luckily I'm lazy. I left my MAF, stock ECU, laptop, and basic tools in the car because I did not feel like taking them out. After cutting a few zip ties I had the maf reconnected along with the stock map sensor. Wiring the stock ecu only took a few seconds more since I had to move the AEM UEGO over a pin and then re wire in the front 02. I was good to go!

I call up STM and talk to Emery, and explained the situation to him along with a few other tweaks I needed made. He invites me to come on down. I made it down to STM in about an hour and Emery greeted me with open arms as usual. We got right in the car and figured out the ECU and IAT were in good shape and decided the used brass MAP sensor was garbage.

Not to leave my car wounded any longer, Emery loaned me a pretty much new stainless 5 bar map (a lot more accurate) and got my car back up on it's feet. Afterwards we made a few adjustments and he sent me on my way.

Now thats what I call service. Awesome job again STM.

-Alex

PS: I think my old map sensor was bad to begin with because now my car is at least twice as smooth and the throttle response is 100% better.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 02:38 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is funny.

While I have never met Emery in person... maybe someday I will, maybe someday I will not... I think he and I would get along after a while.

I come across the same exact way to other people. When people meet me for the first time, they see me as a dick and a cocky arrogant *******. When in reality, in my trait (IT), I've almost seen it all. When someone comes to me with a problem, I roll my eyes. It's something I am working on but sometimes you just have to trust an expert to do an expert job.

Huge props to a company that:

1. Keeps their shop clean. As you stated, this is a HUGE deal in that if they are neat and organized, they will be the same with you car. Big thing in my book as I am a organized person myself.

2. The desire to never give up and never quit until it's right. I look for this in my shops that do work for me as well.

3. Huge props to him for at least understanding where you wanted to go, but also give you some insight into why your route that you want to go may not be the best route to go and will not maximize your ROI.

4. The fact that he took you out in your own car to ensure the tune was spot on is a big thing. All too often tuners look to get the max torque and power out of your car, then when the car is unloaded off the dyno, it drives like ****, stalls and the tune is knocking... isn't what you're looking for. You don't drive WOT all the time and if the tune isn't setup right you'll be unhappy.

Sounds like he's a stand up guy... I've bought a few things from him and those things are still on my car. Not sure if he remembers but I do.

Great write up and more shops could learn from this. Take note!
Old Nov 5, 2010, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I met Emery and a few of the other guys at STM when I took a day trip with him for his IX to get tuned a few months back. Everyone was cool as hell and Emery is an awesome guy and makes his customers and their happiness with the results his top priority. Its unfortunate that more shops don't follow that same business ethic.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
hahah nice write up...STM is a good bunch of guys/girl...
Old Nov 5, 2010, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
OP was an amazing review, although it started off and titled negitivly about the company it turned to what we all know and hear about STM and their work.

Respect for STM just grew. (Plus they have shawna.... KIDDDDDDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Old Nov 6, 2010, 01:27 PM

Wow....this is what it's all about!! Thank you sir and hope to see you soon!!!

-cory
Old Nov 6, 2010, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great write up, makes me want to go visit em atleast once lol
Old Nov 7, 2010, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Stm ftw
Old Nov 8, 2010, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eviltsi
Wow....this is what it's all about!! Thank you sir and hope to see you soon!!!

-cory
Haha you got it cory. I might have some things for you to weld soon. I was super impressed with what you could do.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a real problem with STM, for one they ship parts to quick, since I llive in PA they get to my house the next day, unacceptable.

Two there prices are great, this upsets me.

Three is all the stuff they sell actually works, just not good bussiness there!

Quick Reply: STM - The real truth.