Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Exhaust manifold comparison - FiD vs ToxicFab

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great results, Frederickson!!!

-Jalal
Old Nov 25, 2010, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks for doing this
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Thanks everyone for the compliments. Yeah, I still have to decide which one to sell.
If performance is nearly identical, then doesn't it make sense to keep the Toxic-Fab, since as you say, "construction quality is second to none"? That way you're more likely to enjoy that performance with theoretically greater product longevity.....right?

Last edited by GG06MR; Nov 25, 2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GG06MR
If performance is nearly identical, then doesn't it make sense to keep the Toxic-Fab, since as you say, "construction quality is second to none"? That way you're more likely to enjoy that performance with theoretically greater product longevity.....right?
Did you mean " doesn't make sense NOT to keep the toxicfab?

Again, great info by mrfred!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Collin@ToxicFab
Did you mean " doesn't make sense NOT to keep the toxicfab?
Nope. I meant it the way I wrote it. I was asking him if it also made sense to him to keep the toxicfab unit, since it's got higher build quality. Either way you slice it, my vote is for him to keep the toxicfab unit, and sell the Fid unit, based on his review.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Very cool post post, with good information. I have the FID Battery Tray and the construction is excellent, especially after looking at other people's setup's at the FLA Annual Evo meet.

Best thing about both these products is lifetime warranty. This post will help in my decision when Iam ready to upgrade manifolds!!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Nope. I meant it the way I wrote it. I was asking him if it also made sense to him to keep the toxicfab unit, since it's got higher build quality. Either way you slice it, my vote is for him to keep the toxicfab unit, and sell the Fid unit, based on his review.
Sorry i miss read your post thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2010, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i guess you can't go wrong with either one. Appreciate all the time and money spent fred!

great work colin and FID
Old Nov 25, 2010, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shuttlegoose
i guess you can't go wrong with either one. Appreciate all the time and money spent fred!

great work colin and FID
Thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2010, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

Hi MRfred, thanks for some great information! Looking at the dyno plots, how much of the power/torque loss below 3700 rpm would you attribute to the exhaust manifolds and/or the BBK Full compared to your stock exhaust manifold with Evo 9 turbo baseline, also does it matter much that the baseline run seems to start 200 rpm later?

I ask because I am planning on switching from my stock ported Evo V RS turbo to maybe the BBK Full next year, and since I autox a lot, its something to consider. I read in other posts though that the Evo 9 turbo spools much faster than en Evo 5/6 RS 10.5 turbo, so maybe with the BBK Full I might not even loose any spool.

Thanks,

Ricardo
Old Nov 26, 2010, 08:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by RJSP
Hi MRfred, thanks for some great information! Looking at the dyno plots, how much of the power/torque loss below 3700 rpm would you attribute to the exhaust manifolds and/or the BBK Full compared to your stock exhaust manifold with Evo 9 turbo baseline, also does it matter much that the baseline run seems to start 200 rpm later?

I ask because I am planning on switching from my stock ported Evo V RS turbo to maybe the BBK Full next year, and since I autox a lot, its something to consider. I read in other posts though that the Evo 9 turbo spools much faster than en Evo 5/6 RS 10.5 turbo, so maybe with the BBK Full I might not even loose any spool.

Thanks,

Ricardo
I wish I could answer that question accurately. I did the HKS cams, BBK Full, and tubular manifold all at the same time. I think very little is lost with the HKS cams, so I suppose the later spool time can be split 50:50 between the BBK and the tubular manifolds.

The thing is that the way the turbo spools when starting out side its efficiency range (e.g., starting at 2300 rpm) may be much different than how it does inside its efficiency range (e.g. 4500 rpm). If I had thought about it more, I would have done some transient response measurements starting at 4500 rpm with my old set up and these new setups.

What I can say is that when going WOT, I haven't noticed any difference between my BBK setup and my Evo 9 setup.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 08:27 AM
EvoM Guru

Interesting to see how people interpret my post. Both are well made enough to last a lifetime. Another thing to consider is that the ToxicFab uses non-304 stainless steel flanges.

Last edited by mrfred; Nov 26, 2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the great review! its clear that both these manifolds are excellent quality and really well made, making pretty much the same numbers.
I wonder if proper sized port entries (like the shearer fab manifold) would yeald any better numbers, my guess is prob not much. I say as competitively priced that these two manifolds are i would rather get one of them.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice write-up!

any chance of throwing a ported stocker on your car to note the differences while running the same bbk?
Old Nov 27, 2010, 01:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Aby@MIL.SPEC
Nice write-up!

any chance of throwing a ported stocker on your car to note the differences while running the same bbk?
Yeah, I'm interested in this as well. Perhaps in a couple months after I take care of some ROM stuff.

Quick Reply: Exhaust manifold comparison - FiD vs ToxicFab