Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Exhaust manifold comparison - FiD vs ToxicFab

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
maybe I'm missing something.... but how is FiD in relation to SLS?

Sam @ BMC is a good guy. I bought a lot of flanges from him and his family... there's nothing wrong with having Sam make your flanges. CNC mills are expensive.

I know the guys from SLS when they first started up and bought their Haas. It cost a lot more than they intended and was expensive to pay for.

I don't see why people are trying to hate on each other's manifolds.

Truth of the matter is 99% of the steel used in these manifolds is from China. I know every weld el I've EVER bought was made in china. I buy them from US companies, but they're made in china.

point is... calm down.
We're not hating on anyone, toxic makes a very nice part. Im just defending the accusations of outsourcing overseas.

Also in refrence to Beissen's power output he's tuned on a Dyno Dynamics w/ no correction factors and those familiar w/ each dyno the Dynamics is one of the lower reading out there. We've had customers out there that have been on both DD and DJ dyno and have had differneces from 12-16%.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 02:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MREvo

Done hijacking MrFred's thread...sorry sir...
Your recent posts in this thread are not appreciated. You should go back and delete all your innuendo. I've had both manifolds in my hand, and they are both stout as can be and both have a lifetime warranty. As for other features, they have their pros and cons. Kinda funny you should mention Oregon Trail - The non-stainless flanges on the ToxicFab are starting to rust in the Portland, OR winter, and it will continue although I'm sure it will never get bad like what happens to non-stainless exhaust pipe underneath a car.

For the person asking the question that unintentially started all this crap, both manifolds performed nearly the same on the dyno. The only clear difference is that the FiD did spool a bit early as they intended with their design. No comments yet on which has better daily drivability because I've been gone the last month and no time to make a proper comparison. Hope to do that in the coming weeks.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Your recent posts in this thread are not appreciated. You should go back and delete all your innuendo. I've had both manifolds in my hand, and they are both stout as can be and both have a lifetime warranty. As for other features, they have their pros and cons. Kinda funny you should mention Oregon Trail - The non-stainless flanges on the ToxicFab are starting to rust in the Portland, OR winter, and it will continue although I'm sure it will never get bad like what happens to non-stainless exhaust pipe underneath a car.

For the person asking the question that unintentially started all this crap, both manifolds performed nearly the same on the dyno. The only clear difference is that the FiD did spool a bit early as they intended with their design. No comments yet on which has better daily drivability because I've been gone the last month and no time to make a proper comparison. Hope to do that in the coming weeks.
Thanks mrfred, sorry for all the drama. As always good info.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:28 AM

damn seems like I unleashed hell on this thread. Sorry about that wasn`t my intention. Just wanted to gather some additional info before I buy. I didn`t want to post that question on this thread but Mrfred pm box was full and here we go. Anyway both mani`s rock, great write-up still deciding probably will come down to a coin toss
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Collin@ToxicFab
go ask full-race what flanges they use and why?
I'm actually curious what the answer to this is. What are the pro's and con's of stainless flanges on the header?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I'm actually curious what the answer to this is. What are the pro's and con's of stainless flanges on the header?
probably because it won`t rust on the long run
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
^Yes, but what are the advantages of a mild steel flange? Is it less likely to crack than stainless?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
^Yes, but what are the advantages of a mild steel flange? Is it less likely to crack than stainless?
It's definitely cheaper.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Your recent posts in this thread are not appreciated. You should go back and delete all your innuendo.
No need for me to go back because our wonderful moderates already did but as I said before , I apologize for my thread hijack and posts, as I do enjoy your informative threads and posts. Coated manifolds won't have any rust issues...
Old Jan 24, 2011, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Collin@ToxicFab
thanks, but when people say its not as good on a stock turbo thats not true. the first manifold i built went on a camed stock evo 9 turbo car. it was first tuned, then the manifold was swapped and retuned all on a mustang dyno. +26whp and +20tq were the numbers seen after the tune and manifold on same boost. all these manifolds are good in one way or another. all comes down to who the custom buys from.
No Boss I was not saying your product is bad in anyway just showing the differances. You know I like your poduct as I have ordered from you in the past.

Also I want to clarify that the FiD Manifolds and products are made in the USA don't know who got the idea that it was not. Its like Collin who get flanges made one place but welds it together when you mass produce anything you don't always have the equipment needed to do so.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

A mild steel flange won't expand faster than aluminum like a stainless flange will. A stainless flange has the potential to rip the studs out of the head.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 04:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by mayberry
A mild steel flange won't expand faster than aluminum like a stainless flange will. A stainless flange has the potential to rip the studs out of the head.
The CTE of 304 SS is closer to the CTE aluminum alloys than carbon steel is. 304 SS does have a higher CTE than carbon steel though, so a 304 SS flange will expand more than the carbon steel studs when it gets hot. The difference will cause roughly 0.002" of differential expansion over an 800 deg C temperature rise. Wouldn't think its enough to worry about.