Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Evolution Dynamics Surge tank

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2010, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evolution Dynamics Surge tank

Some of the guys who road race their X might have noticed that after long left hand turns their cars will start to bog due to fuel starvation. There are a couple of solutions to this problem, but the easiest is a surge tank. For those that don't know, a surge tank is basically an auxiliary fuel tank. Usually the in tank pump will fill the surge tank with fuel (enough to run the engine for 10-20 seconds)and then an auxiliary external pump will flow fuel out of the surge tank into the injectors. There are a couple of different setups on the market now, AMS retail $995 (no longer made) mounted the tank in the middle of the trunk and placed the fuel pump under the car (they built a sheetmetal cover to protect it from debris). MDR retail $899 also makes an awesome kit that mounts the tank in between the fender and trunk behind the stock sub location. Again they mount the pump under the car. I knew I needed a surge tank as I was running into the fuel starvation issue on street tires and I am stepping up to NT01's.

Enter Evodynamics. I jokingly sent Josh (EVO_666) a facebook message saying he needed to built me a surge tank. Within 24 hours I got a text for Kevin (how did he get my number?). Kevin offered to make a kit and prototype it on my car. He had some lofty goals and I was a little leery as he was promising a lot with a pretty low price. Needless to say I gave the go ahead to build me a prototype. EvoD was nice enough to send along teaser shots of the tank as the build progressed. The wait was horrible as some of you may know .

I showed up to EvoD last night and was greeted by Josh. He showed my the prototype tank with AN fittings already attached. The tank mounts in the same location as the MDR tank, with one huge improvement. They mounted the external pump on the tank. It is now protected from road debris and it allows for less fuel hose to be ran from the stock tank to the pump. EvoD setup the flow a little different than the MDR kit and I have to tell you it makes a lot of sense and cures the issue some were having with high fuel pressure and excess raw fuel on deceleration coming out of the exhaust.

The install took about 3-4 hours, but this is longer than normal as Richard was measuring the fuel lines and figuring out the best way to run them. During that time I was entertained by Josh and watched as they worked on quite a few Evo's (those who have been there before can attest).

Back to the surge tank. It works flawlessly. No leaks, no excess fuel spilling out of the exhaust, nothing. It is exactly what I was looking for. It is also nice on the wallet. I will be fully testing it out on the 4th at ECR, and I will update accordingly. As of now, I give it a 9.9/10 (the tank is raw aluminum in color, it would get a 10 if it were JDM Fresh HKS Kansai Purple). Also, I was worried about the pump being noisy. It is an external 255. The intank 255 in my IX was really quite loud, and I was expecting the same. Needless to say you can't hear the pump in car at all. It is really nice, they took extra care in wapping the pump in rubber and using rubber mounts.

Thanks go out to Richard for all of his hard work and Josh for entertaining Leah and I. I would also like to start a collection to buy Kevin a jacket, he was working on various cars in the howling wind and 30 degree temps...in a T-shirt.

I will get better pictures here shortly. The car is currently at PTP getting realigned after my agricultural trip at MSR.

http://www.evodynamics.com/evodysutaex.html

Old Dec 1, 2010, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Looks quite nice. Anyone with a Red or larger on E85 will need a Bosch 044 (at least). It looks like one might fit although it'd be a fair bit of weight to hang in that manner.

High fuel pressure or raw fuel out the exhaust was probably because someone was over-running the stock fuel pressure regulator. A pump or surge tank design can't do that.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 07:59 AM
Former Sponsor

we already have plans for the bosch 044 setup for the larger turbo guys. the pump will probably be hung in a different location, but not because hanging the pump like that is heavy, but because of space constraints.

Thanks for being the Test subject Krisiun! see you out at the track sat!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 08:14 AM

It happened to a local after installing the another kit. It was the FPR getting overrun by the surge tank setup. Problem occurred after install of the surge tank, no other changes. It took a couple of small fixes, but the setup was finally figured out. I am not saying that other setups don't work properly, but it was an issue and is fixed with this setup. I have not had to install anything else other than this kit (and a retune) for it to work.

Last edited by krisiun; Dec 1, 2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by krisiun
it was an issue and is fixed with this setup
You had a pro install it and I suspect your acquaintence did not. I learned a lot rolling my own kit and ran into and solved a lot of issues along the way. If Evo Dynamics releases the kit with good install instructions then that's great.

I wouldn't even try running a Bosch 044 without an afpr kit. MAP sells one now so that part is cake these days.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 09:47 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
So this hangs as a unit underneath the car? Any installed pics? Looks like a pretty nice package! I thought the price was going to be sub-$500 though from the initial talks from Kevin.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 09:56 AM

It mounts in the same location as the MDR kit, behind the stock sub (if equipped) in between the trunk "tub" and the fender. Lines run through the open for the trunk vent.

Actually the other kit was installed by a professional. Part of the problem stems from the wiring of the external pump. I am not expert when it comes to pumps and wiring, but after getting the explanation from Richard, the setup makes a lot of sense.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:57 AM
Former Sponsor

i'll have a price most likely next week. we are going to have a few different options to keep the price down, and of course options to make it look super pretty too
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by krisiun
Part of the problem stems from the wiring of the external pump.
Yeah, you need to wire the external pump using the wiring that comes from the engine bay and run the in-tank pump using a new relay with power from the battery. Our stock fuel pump relay is a dual voltage setup that slows the pump down at idle (by running it at 9-10volts) to not over-run the stock fpr.

If you install an afpr then you can wire them however you like. I run both of mine off of the battery to eliminate the possibility of that infernal Mitsu relay failing.

Last edited by mlomker; Dec 1, 2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

good stuff Kevin...!
Old Dec 1, 2010, 01:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mlomker
Yeah, you need to wire the external pump using the wiring that comes from the engine bay and run the in-tank pump using a new relay with power from the battery. Our stock fuel pump relay is a dual voltage setup that slows the pump down at idle (by running it at 9-10volts) to not over-run the stock fpr.

If you install an afpr then you can wire them however you like. I run both of mine off of the battery to eliminate the possibility of that infernal Mitsu relay failing.
thats how we do it
Old Dec 5, 2010, 06:47 PM

Well finally got to test the surge tank. I went out to Eagles Canyon raceway with is a 2.5 mile course with predominatly left hand turns. The car is a 2008 MR with Ast 4100's (700lb front and 800lb rear springs), Cobb sway bars, Nt01's and various bolt ons. I was able to run until the refuel light came on without starvation. Previously I would get to just under 3/4 tank and start getting starvation. All in All I am very happy with this setup.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 02:53 PM
Former Sponsor

group buy:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post8895407
Old May 27, 2011, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Any issues with the smell of fuel permeating the cabin for those of you running this kit?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Any issues with the smell of fuel permeating the cabin for those of you running this kit?
I have had mine on for almost a year. I haven't had any leaks or problems with my surge tank set up. And I have no smell of fuel at all even with my back seat out of my car.

Quick Reply: Evolution Dynamics Surge tank