Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

AMS E-Tune Review

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2010, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 238 Likes on 214 Posts
AMS E-Tune Review

Recently just completed my e-tune from Mitch over at AMS - gotta say I'm very pleased and impressed with the results. For those of you looking for an AMS quality tune but don't live in the Chicago area, this is for you.

To start, Mitch@AMS has been really great to work with – he’s very polite and patient, and he answers all of your questions and emails very promptly, which is impressive given how busy the shop is. He also goes over your logs and sends you the tune very quickly, which is nice. He’s definitely a very talented tuner who can bring out the most performance from your car.

My car is a 2006 Evo IX GSR, with full bolt ons and cams (GSC S1) + headstuds. It’s hard to say how much power the car is making, as I haven’t been on the dyno for a while. Safe to say, it is definitely more than before. What's most impressive is how SMOOTH my car is driving right now – through traffic, in between shifts, accelerating, and decelerating. Every single part of the car feels smoother and better, not just WOT pulls. I have to mention it's also a very SAFE tune, while making excellent power.

Mitch@AMS really beat out all of the big name competitors, and I genuinely believe AMS e-tune is better than the other e-tunes out there. I’m glad AMS finally added e-tuning to their list of services, and brought on board an excellent and talented tuner. For those on the fence for whatever reason (price), I have to say it is definitely worth the money!

Sam
Old Dec 3, 2010, 04:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds great. I wish I had the funds to afford AMS things. $375+ for an email tune? Negative, Ghostrider. That's Dyno price range.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I just had my car E-tuned by Mitch @ AMS a month ago for my X MR and could not be happier with the service and the performance!!!
Old Dec 3, 2010, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigben
Sounds great. I wish I had the funds to afford AMS things. $375+ for an email tune? Negative, Ghostrider. That's Dyno price range.
The prices are on point with other email based tuners.... Mellon charges $350.00
Old Dec 3, 2010, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

I think I gotcha beat: 4wstuning - $185. I'm not downing the abilities of AMS in anyway, but I am on a budget.

Last edited by bigben; Dec 3, 2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

also tuned by mitch , other email tuners left me hanging with a half a** tuned car also. so yah maybe it was cheaper but was never finished.... not mentioning any names so dont ask

MITCH @AMS FTW
Old Dec 3, 2010, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just called on wednesday asking the sales guys about the details about their E-Flash program. Once I get all my new goodies on this winter this is exactly what I'll be doing also. Besides getting a quality AMS flash, this is atleast $100 cheaper than any tuner with in 6 hours of me so I'm getting the best of both worlds.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

anyway guys like i said, definitely WORTH the money. every single part of the car feels great. many tuners can tune you so that you make more power in WOT pull. mitch@ams makes sure every single part of your car feels better - you know, the 99% of the time you're not flooring it.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sleeper04
also tuned by mitch , other email tuners left me hanging with a half a** tuned car also. so yah maybe it was cheaper but was never finished.... not mentioning any names so dont ask

MITCH @AMS FTW
Sorry to hear that. All tuners are different. I did my homework before I handed over my money. Just because you paid more, doesn't necessarily mean that you got more.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Just so no one gets the wrong idea about me: If money wasn't an option, I'd be more than happy to hand my car over to AMS and tell them to "do what they do best". I love that they devote such time and energy into Evo's. They are definitely one of the top shops for anything Evo related
Old Dec 3, 2010, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

no i definitely agree with you there ben. just expressing that i dont regret a penny of that money spent for my ams e-tune. i'd speak more about it with mitch himself though

Old Dec 3, 2010, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

I apologize if I hi-jacked your thread. I am very opinionated. It'd be cool if you could find out some before and after power #'s from your tune. We're all looking for ways to better squeeze the most from these stout 'lil engines
Old Dec 3, 2010, 06:17 PM
Account Disabled

people that are kinda of iffy on the price you have to remember that you are getting a AMS tune and there reputation speaks for themselves....good solution for people who dont live in Chicago
Old Dec 3, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

bigben - I completely understand being on a budget. A standard open ecu tune on a dyno is typically around $400-600... So you are right about that being in the dyno tune area as far as price goes.

I know tamer at 4WS is a fantastic tuner from what i have gathered. He just seems to do it cheaper which is cool.

If I was a tuner I would probably charge around 300+ for an Email tune. These guys are very knowledgeable and deserve what they make...

what kills me about a lot of people is they will spend a fortune on parts but skimp on tuning. When tuning is what holds everything together. **** its the most important "mod" period.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 06:21 PM
Account Disabled

^+1290348 to that last sentence

Quick Reply: AMS E-Tune Review