Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Spec Ops street tune and installs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spec Ops street tune and installs

Clifs
Spec Ops in North Carolina is an awesome well priced shop and a great place to get your car street tuned. They have high attention to detail (wires soldered and shrink wrapped ect) and are extremely knowledgeable about Evos.

Full Review

If anyone on the east coast needs to get work done on their Evo I highly recommend Spec Ops. They are located in Fayetteville, NC and are a very polite, pleasant and professional group of guys. On short notice Matt (one of the owners) was able to rearrange his busy schedule and work on my car a FULL day (~10 to ~9). I will try to write about all the major work and compliments I have for the group, but I am sure that I will forget some of them as I can’t stress enough what a great shop Spec Ops is. Since the “negatives” are so short I’ll mention it now, they currently do not have a Dyno. However, do not let this rule out this shop.

I have a 2003 Evo with a Walbro 255, Cutout at the end of a 3” dp, APR head studs, EBC, MR BOV, Injen intake w/ IC pipes and Evo Scan and that’s it as far as relevant mods for measuring HP/TQ despite this, Matt was able to get 303 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque to the wheels on my car using a relatively conservative tune of his and 24.5 lbs of tapering boost on the smallest turbo of all the Evos 8+. I think this is very impressive as the AFRs were ~11.0 with cutout closed and ~11.5 with it open and I have yet to log any knock despite the extremely cold weather and change of elevation of ~2,000 ft(Blacksburg) vs. ~0(Virginia Beach). I’ve put 700 miles or so, on the car as well. While I was at Spec Ops I got an estimate dyno from the Evo Scan software and as the images I uploaded show it is a fairly accurate estimate to the real deal which was done at All Aspects Motorsports(Great shop as well, but for the “other” car). If anyone has any questions about the how I like the tune/ or about Spec Ops tuning let me know and I will try to answer as best I can.

While I was there I also had a whole bunch of miscellaneous mods that I was getting installed due to laziness/coldness ranging from something as simple as spark plugs (wanted new plugs in before tune) to APR headstuds and a down pipe with wideband and cutout. Since I was from out of town they let me watch them as they worked o my car which was very cool as I am very OCD about my car, and this allowed me to answer any questions they had about where I wanted things ect and keep a close eye on the work. If I were to go into detail about what they did right about each install it would take too long. The biggest asset that they have is their attention to detail: they solder and shrink wrap every wire, use a torque wrench, double check torque values if they are not sure and always make sure each gasket/braket ect is in prefect working condition and that it won’t have any problems down the road. They also helped me trouble shoot my AEM Tru boost and fixed four boost leaks that I had for extremely little cost.

The last thing I wanted to mention is how much they stand by their work. When I got my car home and tried to start it won’t turn at all. It turned out to be a part of my remote start system failing causing my starter motor to burn out, but throughout the whole process Matt made sure to help any way he could over the phone and said that if it was in anyway related to any of the work that they did that they would take care of it and make it right(it was getting fixed at All Aspects). In addition to this they have called twice just to make sure that I like the car mods/tune and that everything was going well. Overall, I would highly recommend Spec Ops and would do business with them again.
Attached Thumbnails Spec Ops street tune and installs-fake-dyo.jpg   Spec Ops street tune and installs-real-dyno.jpg  
Old Jan 8, 2011, 06:49 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the review Chris and for making the trip down from VA. Let us know if you ever need anything.

-Matt
Old Jan 8, 2011, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
currently getting my 2.3 L stroker rebuilt by these guys. great group of people with good experience. and they also frequent Hampton Roads area for dyno tunes at All Aspect (like they did today)
Old Jan 8, 2011, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice job Spec-Ops...