Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

2011 AMSOIL Ongoing Track Review - 929's Evo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by apagan01
Nice country side view in the last picture.
Yeah, my parents live in the middle of nowhere! But Dad's got a huge shed, tons of know-how and lots of Snap-On tools!

If he weren't 2hrs aways, I'd try to store and work on the car there year-round!
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

The Countdown is ON!
  • 4 weeks to my first test-day.
  • 6 weeks to my first event.

Last edited by boomn29; Feb 28, 2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Driveline Fluids!

Originally Posted by boomn29
To-Do list for 2011:
Maintenance:
  • Change oil/filter
  • Flush Driveline Fluids (Transmission, Trasfer Case, ACD, Rear-Diff)
  • Flush radiator
Started on the maintenance portion of the to-do list last night. Mark the date (3/1/2010) as the car went up on jackstands in the front - and will probably be on various jackstands for a few weeks!
Please, please everyone use jackstands and don't trust a jack alone!

I have the front now on jackstands and started draining the Transmission and Transfer Case fluids. Also drained the oil and pulled the filter as well. Got a fancy pic below. Also gave everything a lookover to look for anything out of the ordinary like leaks, dents, scrapes, rust, etc. Car has some rust on the lower tie bars so I'll probably pull them off and re-paint them (again).

Figured that was a good enough start and left it to drain overnight! The trans/t-case drain pretty slow as that stuff is thick!

Old Mar 4, 2011, 04:27 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
gota heat up that tcase and tranny before draining
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

And AMSOIL 10w30 'Dominator' going back into the car:

Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just switched to AMSOIL engine oil last weekend, how long are you going to go between changes this year? I switched from Mobil 1, I changed it after every event since it was so cheap, but like you, I am looking for more drinking time and less maintenance time.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TxEvo8
I just switched to AMSOIL engine oil last weekend, how long are you going to go between changes this year? I switched from Mobil 1, I changed it after every event since it was so cheap, but like you, I am looking for more drinking time and less maintenance time.
Really depends on how much you're running it. You can always send in a batch for oil analysis which is what I do a few times a year.

So far I've found that every other event is fine for the track time I have; really more than enough. My events vary though depending on how well I know the track and also where the shiftpoints are on the track relative to the amount of upper rpm's I run.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 10:43 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I might need to consider switching to Amsoil soon too. Thanks for the cool thread and all the pics.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What fluid are you using for tranny and tc?
Old Mar 14, 2011, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SPANKED
What fluid are you using for tranny and tc?
I've actually been using Redline since I got the car. Had good luck (no issues) with it and never switched. Same for the rear diff.

AMSOIL everywhere else.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Car is nearly ready to go.

Flushed the brake fluid this weekend. Bolted on tires and actually got it down off of the jackstands which is always quite an accomplishment!

Still got some misc things to do, but it's pretty much ready. I need to finished securing the seat and the passenger seat, as well as the belts. Needs to be cleaned a bit inside (vaccuumed) from all the sound deadening gunk, need to put my Traqmate and camera stuff back in. Lastly I need to pack it full of tires for mounting...

Washed it and snapped a few pics:

Last edited by boomn29; Mar 21, 2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:25 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car is looking better
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Loaded and ready for the testday!

Forecast is calling for mid 40's and cloudy. So I don't expect any issues with oil temps or anything, but I'll still be logging them and provide a quick report. I should be pounding out a ton of testing miles though.

Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car looks amazing. Good luck with the testing and good luck with TTA. I know in my region the z06 is king in TTA.

I may have to pick your brain a bit on TTB setup since I will hopefully be competing in it mid next year.

Also what issues were you having with the motul brake fluid? I ran it in my former car and liked it, planned on running it in the evo.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ReaperX
Car looks amazing. Good luck with the testing and good luck with TTA. I know in my region the z06 is king in TTA.

I may have to pick your brain a bit on TTB setup since I will hopefully be competing in it mid next year.

Also what issues were you having with the motul brake fluid? I ran it in my former car and liked it, planned on running it in the evo.
Thx dude.

My biggest frustration with the Motul was that I NEEDED to bleed it every 2 weekends. If I had time and was rotating or changing tires between events, I'd bleed between every event. And with my aggressive yearly track schedule that's a lot of time spent that shouldn't be needed.
And when I say 'NEEDED', I mean my pedal would slowly get softer throughout the course of the day. Sure it'd some back, but not as stiff as it started. When I would bleed I'd get just a few bubbles and/or some darker discolored fluid so I know that it was 'NEEDED'.

And if you've got any setup questions, just PM me. I'll be happy to share a few secrets and suggestions.

Quick Reply: 2011 AMSOIL Ongoing Track Review - 929's Evo