Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

harness bars, not so good!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would like to see the rest of the car
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by twabtoxer
i got my sparco harness bar and belts for free a few years ago, went ahead and installed them. never realized they were not as safe , sucks now i have false sense of security lol..... ftl
to be honest those are not sparco bars. the sparco is solid and not adjustable.... So that is an E-bay knock off...
i doubt you can bend the real Sparco like that if its properly installed so as the harness .

http://www.sparcousa.com/resourceFiles/48.pdf

Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Not that it makes a difference but here is the harness bar I have...as you can see no "flimsy" joints...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsu...item19c3c4a7d0
And i still wouldn't run that harness bar, or the legit Sparco bar, or any harness bar.

- andrew
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interesting observations:

the bar is bent downward. if the force from the passengers was what bent the bar, it should have pulled up towards the pass-throughs on the seat

where are the belts that were used, and where were they anchored? there isn't anything secured to the bar in the picture which makes me question it even more. also, how were they secured to the bar?

i would bet money the passenger didn't have the harness tight even before the accident. thus being ejected from the car is just as much due to improper use of the equipment as it would be from the bar bending (if it did).

is there any other pictures of the car? a side impact at all would crush the bar like a pop can.

and as a side note, i would rate the harness bar just as safe as some of the horrible "bolt in" cages people run.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why does it seem that the passengers always pay the price for the stupidity of the driver.

I hate seeing harness bars and harnesses used on the street. If you want to run a harness you need to run a 4pt roll bar at minimum. If you are using those you need a good head and neck restraint system as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if the driver had a significant case of whiplash as a result of the harness.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never understood why people put harness bars in. The only use I saw for them is a good camera mount.