Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Complete Perrin Intake thoughts and review(ish)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2011, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Guy
I hear Hallman MBC a lot, is that the best one? Or just cheap and reliable. I don't mind spending more for a better part.
It is the best. There is a 50 dollar EX that is low end but still a good piece and the Pro RX which is about a 100 bucks that uses its own self locker. The MBC's are inexpensive and work well in our cars. You can spend a lot more on EBC's and GM soleniods that will have more adjust parameters (and therefore require more setup effort, IMO) however I would invest in the tune above all. If you plan on going deep into modding I would spend the cash on a wideband sensor and gage kit right from the get go. If you are a fire and forget guy I would find a decent tuner have them set it and be done with it.

You should also get a decent boost gage when you get that mbc. If you are DYI getting a tactrix cable and a laptop and ping forums for someone who knows their stuff.

Btw when I say tune, I am talking about a shop that will put the car on a dyno, install or rent you a wideband to read afr's and 'tune' your car. You can get maps off the net for free but that will only come close. A good tuner will ask you what you do with your car and tune it for your style of racing or driving.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:45 PM

Hmmm, ok, so a Hallman mbc definitely then. And I have the Mitsubishi pre installed gauges, so I have the boost one, but admittedly its small and not very detailed. Id like to get a larger one. I'm not sure what a wideband sensor is though is that like an air:fuel sensor? But yeah, I know whatcha mean by tuner, I just don't know where a good one is near me. And Google doesn't seem to have the answer (for once) so looks like ill just be going to san Diego. As far as tuning my car myself, I figure that's really pushing it, however intrigued I may be haha. I just know is mess something up.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i just finished putting my perrin intake in. took about 2 hours total.

i agree the instructions were not great since i already had a cone filter and this was my first time working in the evos engine compartment.

i must say, the intake as a whole is a TIGHT fit. my filter didnt need any persuading but it almost felt like the tube was too long, as i had to force the heat shield towards the turbo a bit to get the bolt holes lined up. the bpv hose also took some work to get back on, and the middle upper ic pipe elbow is laying on the radiator fan.

did you have those things happen too? im still very happy with the product, gotta take some logs tomorrow.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:37 AM

Haha, yup. i had to rest the upper IC pipe on the radiator too, however when i was finished i was able to wiggle it back to its original spot. You got the heat shield bolt holes lined up?! I'm very impressed. after a good 30 minutes of fighting and wire relocating and zip tie snipping, i gave up. That things still not bolted down, which im sure isnt the best, but i figure no bad can come from it really. As you said, its SNUG in there, so i figured id just put the filter on and leave it like that.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:56 AM

To the original poster a couple things first you can relocate your factory gauges to where your radio is and your radio moves down to where your gauges were simple one hour swap no cutting splicing or modification. To make it better you can switch the boost gauge with either the volt gauge or oil temp gauge. There is a how to on here I believe.

Tuning technologies in colton is close to you, however since you live in California socalevo.net has more California specific stuff for evos that can help you. If I known better I would have modified a lot differently to look more stock..
Old Mar 25, 2011, 04:51 PM

That doesnt sound like a bad idea. (though looking at it, and having not seen the "How To" it looks like it'd be quite a bit of work haha) I'll have to check that out.

And your right! Looks like their website is down (Tuning Technologies) but ill definitely give them a call.

In regards to your last statement, i take it you get pulled over a lot? (my other friends seem to have the same issue it seems)
Old Mar 26, 2011, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
i just finished putting my perrin intake in. took about 2 hours total.

i agree the instructions were not great since i already had a cone filter and this was my first time working in the evos engine compartment.

i must say, the intake as a whole is a TIGHT fit. my filter didnt need any persuading but it almost felt like the tube was too long, as i had to force the heat shield towards the turbo a bit to get the bolt holes lined up. the bpv hose also took some work to get back on, and the middle upper ic pipe elbow is laying on the radiator fan.

did you have those things happen too? im still very happy with the product, gotta take some logs tomorrow.
I'm not understanding why it took 2 hours. I think mine only took 30 minutes maybe.

Name:  2011-03-26181832.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  120.1 KB

Name:  2011-03-26181939.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  134.3 KB
Old Mar 26, 2011, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

stock upper piping requires a lot more to be removed and later persuaded to fit back in. i was also a struggle to get to the clamp on the stock pipe at the turbo.

there was also a dinner break, and like i said this was the first time i did any real work on my evo, so i was taking my time to make sure i put everything back properly.

anyone else notice the change in stock bpv sound?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

stock upper piping requires a lot more to be removed and later persuaded to fit back in. i was also a struggle to get to the clamp on the stock pipe at the turbo.

there was also a dinner break, and like i said this was the first time i did any real work on my evo, so i was taking my time to make sure i put everything back properly.

anyone else notice the change in stock bpv sound?
I see now. Nothing wrong with taking your time. BPV is amplified big time.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

yes, it took a good 20 minutes to get the bpv hose fitted back on properly to the uicp.

what uicp are you running hat fits with the perrin kit?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

what uicp are you running hat fits with the perrin kit?
Nisei short route.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 09:17 PM

Anyone know if an ETS short route will cause headaches?

Car has ACD bits in stock location too.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by wariosport
I'm not understanding why it took 2 hours. I think mine only took 30 minutes maybe.

I just installed my perrin intake and it took at least a few hours. It was a pain in the *** trying to reach loosen the clamp around the turbo inlet since it was positioned on the bottom side; lets just say, that fan shroud ripped my hands up pretty good. I had to remove a lot of things I didn't think I would have to just to gain leverage on wrenching. All in all, I didn't break anything, or take any short cuts, and everything is now fitted and running good. I can finally hear my BOV!

As far as power is concerned I notice a little bit more power, but it could just be the turbo spooling faster. I'm definitely 100% satisfied.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
for those who installed this intake on the evo 9, where did you mount the boost control solenoid? In the process of installing it, I couldn't figure out where in the picture the unit was being relocated, so I contacted perrin and they said the evo 9 was a little different from the 8 as for the thread located on the transfer case. I ended up zip tieing it somewhere underneath for now, but if there is a better place, I would like to move it.

And I was expecting the filter to be drenched in oil, but it didn't seem like mine was. My hands would get a little greasy from touching it, but it felt dry for the most part, so I didn't wipe anything off.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
I left mine where it was and slapped the intake over top of it

Quick Reply: Complete Perrin Intake thoughts and review(ish)