Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Complete Perrin Intake thoughts and review(ish)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Complete Perrin Intake thoughts and review(ish)

First of all, i'm writing this post for anyone thinking about buying this product. If your here for a step by step of the install, this is not for you. Anyway..

I got the package this morning and was giddy as hell to throw it on my car. For those that don't know, i drive a bone stock 06 Evo 9 MR. Well, i have a Greddy TI-C pipe, but stock other than that. So this being my first performance mod, i was excited to get my hands nice and dirty.

I opened up the box to behold the goods, and i want to note, that everything was nicely packaged and well taken care of. Everything was in its own separate bag/divider. So i went and popped the hood of my Evo and prepared to get underway.

Now ill say this. ANYONE CAN INSTALL THIS INTAKE. However it is my opinion that only people with automotive/mechanical knowledge will be able to do it in the 1 hour time the instructions suggest it will take. For the record i got it all on and working in no less than 5 hours (more on that in a bit)

Id like to say my only complaint is that the instructions are completely written for people that know what the hell they're doing. And thats fair, i don't blame Perrin for that, though it led to a lot of "hmmm...... i think it means this" kind of moments. Again, I can drive my car, but don't ask me how its put together.

However, in the end, everything fit like a glove. Though one comment, that im curious if its just me thats noticed/is affected, or if its like this for everyone, the filter for the intake was too large for the heat shield. I mean horizontally, to get it onto the heat shield, i had to push, pull, and bend a small part of the filter to get the bottom of it to seat properly. So it looks great, but one side is wedged in there. On top of that, i had to fight and cut a bunch of wires (ungroup them i mean) to get the heat shield to barely fit where its supposed too, and even after the fighting its still not seated properly.

If anyone has any advice on that, id greatly appreciate it.

Minor gripes aside, im very happy with this product. It's very clean and looks sexy next to the engine.

Unfortunatly i havent been able to drive my car yet since the installation (i had to run off to work before i could tighten down all the clamps and secure the BOV and so on and so forth) so i will of course edit this post with pictures and a driving feel by tomorrow. Will the BOV be super loud now? Will the turbo spool faster? Will i notice more power under my foot? I hope yes to all of these. (though it will probably be no to all but the first haha)

Anyhow, just wanted to make a post about my thoughts on this product. Before i bought it i searched and searched and couldnt find a single one, so now im making my own. And again, if anyone (Perrin rep) have any advice, please feel free to post. Also, feel free to flame my poor mechanic skills haha
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:29 AM

I would like to see the results after you have put it all back together, Perrin claims you dont need to tune the car after install. but I have read on this forum that you do.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's always a good idea to re-tune or at least datalog after you add any parts that might alter airflow and/or fuel.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:19 PM

Well, im glad to say after much struggle (few clamps that were hard to tighten, nothing seated right, etc) that the Perrin intake has finally settled in and works like a charm. Ill have to say that its extremely loud, both the intake and BOV. In the mid RPM's, id say 3-5k, the intake sounds like its forming a tornado in the hood of your car. It's loud. Also, the BOV is much much more distinguishable than it was with the stock intake. now if i barely have 1-2 psi i can hear the "PSH!" of the BOV.

So, any noticable power gains?... no. Does the turbo spool faster? Much much faster. Can i finally hear my BOV? Yes. almost annoyingly so.

So i hope ive answered any basic questions anyone had, and if there are other questions ill gladly give them a shot.

As for Bigben, i completely and totally agree. Sorta. I personally live about 2 hours from a single descent tuner, so while id love to run out and get re-tuned, its just not possible for me. (i work 7 days a week part time) but now that ive installed this, im definitely looking for some time off to get it done.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

I have one and im sure it contributed in making the power I am at right now. You can hear the turbo spooling, the suction of air, and the bov 4x more noticeably.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 09:46 AM

I just bought one and the quality seems top-notch for the price.

It will be replacing my ARC airbox for about the same price as replacement filters for the afformentioned bling-take.

I will post results once it's on.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

I installed my full Injen intake and it also took 4 hours haha! When i went for a drive i had the biggest grin on my face. Also the suction it makes in the low revs is awesome
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:11 PM

I love my perrin intake, great sound, great quality. Only downside is you cannot use a short route UICP with it.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by B Fletch LV
I love my perrin intake, great sound, great quality. Only downside is you cannot use a short route UICP with it.
Yes it can. Works perfectly fine with my Nisei UICP Short Route. You may just need to massage it a bit more. Intake not touching the UICP at all anywhere.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 03:44 PM

any pictures?
Old Mar 18, 2011, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

I have one installed on my evo. pretty straight foward except with a normal battery and stock parts its a tight fit. best bang for the buck intake wise and i got it on sale during christmas
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:21 AM

Well I'm glad it seems like not a single person here regrets their purchase of the perrin intake. Makes me more secure in my decision to go with it Haha.

What's next to do after an intake and exhaust pipe?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 03:36 AM
Evolving Member

Hallman MBC and a Tune
Old Mar 19, 2011, 03:05 PM

I hear Hallman MBC a lot, is that the best one? Or just cheap and reliable. I don't mind spending more for a better part.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 03:07 PM

Also, does anyone know of a tuner shop near 92399? Best I can find is in san Diego quite a ways away

Quick Reply: Complete Perrin Intake thoughts and review(ish)